[SOLVED] Display port only shows bios but not windows (ASUS VP249QGR & Galax RTX 2060)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Hey, so I have an ASUS VP249QGR and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I'm not getting any signal from the display port and I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is:

First, during the first boot (This build is about a week or two old), the display port worked fine. I even used it to install windows using a usb boot drive, and installed a few of windows' automatic updates. Then, in the middle of one of them, the display port stopped receiving signal.

At that point, I thought the monitor was broken. But, when I used an HDMI cable, it worked. So, I carried on just using the HDMI cable. It supports 144hz on HDMI so I thought, no big deal.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I suddenly wanted to figure out why the display port isn't working. I tried the unplug the monitor to let the capacitors or whatever lose charge thing but it didn't work.

What I did find out, though, was that the display port receives signal during the boot up phase. Like, it shows the GIGABYTE logo and allows me to enter the BIOS of my motherboard to change stuff around and when I save and quit so it can boot into Windows 10 it stops receiving signal.

I tried looking stuff up but I can't find any other cases with my specific problem. What could be going wrong?

Solution
Its late here (as I said), I will look at this tomorrow.
A repair install is looking like the easy way from here.

all repair install does is reisntalls win 10 over itself. it should fix this as should have source. I need to find the proper steps for it now the media creation tool doesn't include a wim. I think there is a version that uses the esd file instead

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

see if that works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if there a way to contact Nvidia without the forums. you might have to get cable just to prove its not cause.

It's set to 144hz right now. Just tried to set it to 60 and switch to DP and it didn't work. The refresh rate can't be the problem since during the first boot the first thing I did was change the refresh rate to 144hz and it worked fine until the windows updates which, as of now, I'm pretty sure were the NVIDIA drivers automatically installing.

So it looks like a software problem again (I like playing yoyo) and HDMI might be easiest option, every windows update check cable...

could still ask Asus, they might have a clue.

wonder what 1st driver that came out for 2060 was.

so sfc/dism don't find any problems anymore. I don't think its windows, its back to Nvidia or the Monitor. Windows update just grabbed GPU drivers. Trying to be helpful.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021

Ah, I downloaded this driver before posting the thread. It changes the name on the device manager to the monitor and I think it allows me to change more stuff about the monitor like colors but it didn't fix the DP.

I wonder if there a way to contact Nvidia without the forums. you might have to get cable just to prove its not cause.

So it looks like a software problem again (I like playing yoyo) and HDMI might be easiest option, every windows update check cable...

could still ask Asus, they might have a clue.

wonder what 1st driver that came out for 2060 was.

so sfc/dism don't find any problems anymore. I don't think its windows, its back to Nvidia or the Monitor. Windows update just grabbed GPU drivers. Trying to be helpful.

Yeah, I'll go for the cable thing, and if that doesn't work, I'll report that to the NVIDIA forums and hope a staff member picks it up from there.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
How is it going?

Sorry for the super late reply, the delivery for the cable took a while. At first I was skeptical about whether or not it worked and I really thought it wouldn't. I plugged it in and no signal and I was pretty disappointed because I just wasted some money on a solution that didn't even work but I nudged the cable in a bit more since the monitor's cable area was awkward and it was hard to plug the cable in and I got signal!

It was a faulty cable after all. Thanks so much for the help and I hope that anyone who runs into this thread that has this problem in the future tries a different cable first.

Reactions: Colif
Feb 17, 2022
Hey,
Just wanted to say I’ve had the exact same issue with my monitor (ASUS ROG PG279Q) for the last year and a half. My GPU is an ASUS 1070.
display port worked perfect for a few years, then stopped a year and a bit ago.
Have tried everything suggested here. It’s driving me insane. Bought a brand new display port cable and it still doesn’t work.
Works in BIOS, as yours did, but as soon as I go to Windows it doesn’t work.

I have a second spare monitor (an old Samsung) with a display port, and it works on that monitor!!! That monitor only does 60fps tho. I want to use my expensive ASUS that does 165Hz with DisplayPort.

why does this occur? I think it must mean the fault lies with the ASUS monitor - some kind of bug in the firmware, maybe related to GSYNC?
ASUS have been extremely rude and don’t want to help/exchange the monitor as it is “out of warranty”, but they also haven’t updated the monitors software since 2015. As far as it seems, they have purposefully bricked the monitor with an update and just want me to buy another one

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS