Distributing VGA across a network

rvcabinets

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello all,

At my workplace we have a PC that is hooked up to a large TV in our front entrance. The PC basically runs a PowerPoint continuously. We have a second building that we want to have the same display setup in. Is there a way to distribute this video signal across our network to the remote TV, without having a PC at the remote end? Note: There are multiple fiber optic segments connected via switches between the main building and remote building.

Any ideas?

rvcabinets

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
These won't work. They are designed to have single cable between the local unit at the PC and the remote unit. This is physically impossible as second TV is 6000' away in a second building. Like I said in my earlier post, these buildings are on the same LAN, connected over fiber. I would think I need something that is functions over IP.

Thanks anyway.

I'm not so sure it wouldn't work. That 250m limit *may* be based on the assumption you're not using an ethernet repeater. But in a sense you *do* have a repeater ; you're already connected w/ ethernet over that 6000' ft fiber connection, despite the far lesser limitations of ethernet (~100m)! We already know those distances aren't a problem. For all practical purposes, the fiber connection is irrelevant to distance limitations wrt ethernet/IP. The only distance limitation that matters is from the device to the nearest end point of the fiber connection, NOT end to end wrt to the devices themselves.

Of course, I'm assuming these devices are using CAT5 for ethernet/IP, and not merely as a transport for some other type of signaling, which itself might be limited to 250m. Yeah, then you’d have a problem.

So unless you know for sure one way or the other, I would still inquire w/ the manufacturer. Again, if it's ethernet/IP based, I don't see what the problem would be.

bdubs85

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
why not just setup the repeating powerpoint as a DVD?

if your tv's have a dvd slot that's the absolute easiest way, otherwise you'll obviously have to have a dvd player hooked up as well.