dll files

does anybody know of any good software for repairing infected dll files also
for cleaning up my hard drive of remnants of old files that wre deleted

If your computer has been infected by a virus, you need to use antivirus
software to remove the infection.

If the virus has damaged an application, you'll need to reinstall the
application. If the virus has damaged Windows you may be able to replace the
damaged dlls with the System File Checker, but you will probably need to
reinstall Windows.

You can obtain third party software that will over-write all areas of your
hard disk not occupied by files that are recognized by Windows. Search the
Internet for so-called file shredders. You might use this type of software
if you were getting rid of your computer, or if you share your computer with
other users and you fear those other users may have the desire and the
expertise to look at files you have deleted. Or if you work for certain
government agencies
--
Ted Zieglar

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:54:43 -0000, Bob Ingram wrote:

> does anybody know of any good software for repairing infected dll files also
> for cleaning up my hard drive of remnants of old files that wre deleted

Bob, did the antivirus program remove legitimate files or files belonging
to the virus? It's not unusual for an active virus' files to be quarantined
and then on the next startup to get a warning about "missing" files. If
this is the case, you don't want the files back or replaced if they were a
part of the virus. Instead, you want to look up the virus that the
antivirus program identified. Read through the information and perform any
manual cleanup directions included.

If the files are legitimate, most can be replaced using the original
installation media: Windows or individual programs.

If the files belong to XP, directions for how to Expand a file can be found
in this article:

Description and Explanation of a Cabinet File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310435&Product=winxp
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User