slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I just read an article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/11/15/monkey.brain/index.html

It's about how some scientists are implanting electrodes into monkeys to learn about how our brain works at controlling our bodies. According to the article they now have a monkey that controls a robotic arm with just his brain. (Well, brain, electrodes, computers ... but basically no hands.)

And I have to sit there and think about just how close that puts us to a Direct Neural Interface with things. Just think that if the technology in that monkey advances at the same rate that computers have, in five or ten years it could be completely possible to plug a computer directly into your brain.

Instead of using a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, we might just use a single DNI cable inserted into a jack in our head. You could control the computer completely by thought.

Wouldn't that just be the ultimate IO device for a computer?

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)

G

They did a show on something like that in Outerlimits. The one person who could not have an implant because of birth defect, saves the day. Who would have figured!

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I would have. I'd never leave myself open to a permanent constant interface like that. I'm not THAT crazy. :) But I do think that the idea of being able to plug into a computer like that at any time if your choosing is pretty cool. It'd make programming a lot faster.

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)