Cooler- Corsair H115i Extreme
MB- Asus ROG Maximus X Formula
RAM- Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3466MHz C16
GPU- Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 Ti AMP! Extreme
Storage- Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
PSU- Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

So I can't find a straightforward answer anywhere I have looked. Up til now I have been running 16GB just fine, but when I boot up Chrome (and I know Chrome is a memory hog) to play some web games on the side (while I wait or whatnot, i'm really in to idle games). My main performance drops. Doesn't look like a CPU issue entirely but I am using 14GB of RAM according to RTSS at some points. So I have been looking at 32GB kits.

First question is do I really need more RAM? I feel like using 14GB at a time is probably cutting it close but may be fine idk.

The other question is what will perform better 2 x 16 or 4 x 8?
I've heard it both ways that 2 is faster but possibly only lets you access the same amount of memory at a time as a 16GB kit would.
And the reverse that 4 sticks lets you access more memory but will be slower because of the traffic (or something like that).

So what is actually my best option here? I have a little room to OC the CPU if I need to but my current RAM actually isn't stable at anything more than 100-200MHz faster :(
Was looking at Dominator Platinum RGB kits since I LOVED my old Dominator Platinums that I gave up for the Veng RGB I have now (big mistake). but the 4x kits are basically twice the price of the 2x kits. 4x does look better but im not paying an extra $200 for that.

Solution
When windows itself needs 8gb just to run smooth and chrome needs just as much to run smooth--16gb will evaporate. It's actually insane. Code should not be this bloated.

But the bottom line is that you need more ram if you want to use your system this way. A 2x16 kit will be faster from a mhz standpoint. 4x8gb can access quad channels, but at a lower speed, so it's a tradeoff that ends up being about the same. The advantage of 2x modules is that they seem to work without as much hassle as 4x.

No limits on memory access and should be just like what you have now except more memory (depending on what you get).
When windows itself needs 8gb just to run smooth and chrome needs just as much to run smooth--16gb will evaporate. It's actually insane. Code should not be this bloated.

But the bottom line is that you need more ram if you want to use your system this way. A 2x16 kit will be faster from a mhz standpoint. 4x8gb can access quad channels, but at a lower speed, so it's a tradeoff that ends up being about the same. The advantage of 2x modules is that they seem to work without as much hassle as 4x.

No limits on memory access and should be just like what you have now except more memory (depending on what you get).

Solution

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Just got some Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8) sticks installed. They look fantastic and it seems they are working perfectly. It looks like im able to do more without slowing down or losing any performance and its showing that im actually using less physical RAM. not sure but i'll be keeping an eye on it but for now it seems to be working.

Just got some Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8) sticks installed. They look fantastic and it seems they are working perfectly. It looks like im able to do more without slowing down or losing any performance and its showing that im actually using less physical RAM. not sure but i'll be keeping an eye on it but for now it seems to be working.
Awesome! Glad an upgrade worked out great for you. :)