[SOLVED] do I have enough power?

Zemroth

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
so I'm building a new computer. this pc is going to be a high end gaming build and pc part picker gave me an estimate power consumption of 574W. this estimate is only including the pc and nothing attached to it such as mice and keyboards. I found out that the 80+ power supplies actually produce only 80% of their advertised watts so I know I need to get a power supply bigger than the estimate but I also found out that apparently having a power supply that is too large is bad. so I was wondering what kind of power supply should I be looking for.

things to note:
  1. this pc is going to be used for vr gaming as well.
  2. I want enough power for overclocking if needed.

Solution
so I'm building a new computer. this pc is going to be a high end gaming build and pc part picker gave me an estimate power consumption of 574W. this estimate is only including the pc and nothing attached to it such as mice and keyboards. I found out that the 80+ power supplies actually produce only 80% of their advertised watts so I know I need to get a power supply bigger than the estimate but I also found out that apparently having a power supply that is too large is bad. so I was wondering what kind of power supply should I be looking for.

things to note:

The efficiency rating does not impact the wattage the...

things to note:
I would say something like a Corsair RM850x or RM1000X

things to note:

The efficiency rating does not impact the wattage the psu can deliver, it changes how much power the psu needs to draw from the wall. A high quality 600w psu should be able to deliver close to 600w on the 12v rail. Also having a psu that’s too large is not an issue, if it’s exceptionally over the top it could operate less efficiently. The main issues is it’s a waste of money.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution