Question Do I need 2 upstream cables to run the mouse and keyboard of 2 desktop PCs on the Dell KVM U3223QE monitor?

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
In order to use one keyboard and one mouse with 2 desktop PCs, do I need to connect 2 upstream cables (only one port is marked upstream but I believe the #5 port which is just marked USB-C is also an upstream) or do I need to connect the second PC with a USB-A to USB-C cable? Currently I have both PCs connected with HDMI cables and one connected with the upstream cable, but the keyboard and mouse do not work on the second computer, of course.

If I need another upstream cable does it have to be rated high speed? The monitor only came with one upstream cable.

The online information and videos that I have looked at, surprisingly, do not address this exact issue.

Charles

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In order to use one keyboard and one mouse with 2 desktop PCs, do I need to connect 2 upstream cables
Umm.... when you'd use KVM Switch, where you share KB/mice/monitor between two PCs, each PC would only need to have image output cable and USB input cable.

05BDwAYy7XPVGnSD6DqJDiL-14.fit_lim.size_768x.jpg

Further reading about KVM Switches: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/best-kvm-switches

But you don't say that you're using KVM Switch, so, it is difficult to understand how you have them currently connected.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I'm not using a KVM switch because this model of monitor has KVM built into it.
Dell monitor - this monitor has several upstream and downstream connections.

What I'm asking is can one upstream cable work for 2 PCs? It seems like the answer is I need 2. I'm connecting with 2 HDMI cables and they will not connect to the wifi mouse and keyboard connections.

I'm hoping someone familiar with these monitors can answer this as they are quite complicated.