[SOLVED] Do I need to reaply thermal Paste if i only had it on for a day?

Aug 3, 2019
I just got a 2600x and was noticing my temps were a bit high so I took off the CPU fan and reinstalled it. Idk if i have to reapply the thermal paste or not because this all took place in the span of like 3 hours. I should add that after reinstalling the fan my CPU speed was below (2.5Ghz) the base speed (3.6Ghz). Will not reapplying the thermal paste cause problems down the line?

Solution
Use HWinfo64 to monitor your CPU temperature.

It might be fine but it still leaving a lot of expensive hardware to chance.

Modern CPU s shut down automatically if they get too hot anyway so you won't destroy anything.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Personally I would always use new, good quality thermal paste when disassembling a cooler from the CPU.

A good seal between the two surfaces is essential for efficient cooling and some thermal paste actually sets as it gets hotter.

Also once the seal is broken then the only properly way to restore it is with fresh paste as the old stuff will not spread equally and will potentially leave small gaps adding to temperature.

Andy

Reactions: CountMike
Aug 3, 2019
Personally I would always use new, good quality thermal paste when disassembling a cooler from the CPU.

A good seal between the two surfaces is essential for efficient cooling and some thermal paste actually sets as it gets hotter.

Also once the seal is broken then the only properly way to restore it is with fresh paste as the old stuff will not spread equally and will potentially leave small gaps adding to temperature.

Andy
Ahh ok. I dont have any thermal paste on me righht now so would my computer be fine for the time being?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Use HWinfo64 to monitor your CPU temperature.

It might be fine but it still leaving a lot of expensive hardware to chance.

Modern CPU s shut down automatically if they get too hot anyway so you won't destroy anything.

Solution