[SOLVED] Do i need to reinstall windows when im upgrading my motherboard and cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Im going from the i5-8600k to the i5-12600k and obviously i need a new motherboard for that.
Can i simply connect my drives and launch it like it was the old pc?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
The conservative advice is to do a new clean install.
But, many times we have so many apps and games installed, as well as a number of settings that would be a pain to recreate.

If you are in that situation, like I have been recently with my own pc, and with several of my kids pc's, then give it a try.
First, protect yourself.
What I do is take a cloned image of the current running C drive on a ssd of whatever size you need.
It is easy with samsung and their ssd migration app.

Then, use that cloned image alone and try to boot to the new cpu and motherboard.
My experience has been good for about half a dozen such upgrades. If you can boot, install the new chipset and other motherboard drivers. They have all been intel to intel.
I...

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
You shouldn't. Where it very possibly could work it is likely to cause issues.

Best bet is a fresh, clean install.
is it worth risking?
You see.. i have 3.5 MB/s and i just completed a fresh install of windows 11 on the old build (the new stuff isnt here yet)
And my internet doesnt enjoy downloading terabytes in a month, because my provider absolutely sucks. (i know i should change provider but the owner of the house refuses.)

Luca_21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Any time you make such a big change in hardware you should reinstall Windows clean. If you don't you may be chasing down problems for months. Windows was not designed to be moved from one platform to another.
Could i simply put the disks in, then do a reinstall trough windows but keeping my personal files like games and such?

The conservative advice is to do a new clean install.
But, many times we have so many apps and games installed, as well as a number of settings that would be a pain to recreate.

If you are in that situation, like I have been recently with my own pc, and with several of my kids pc's, then give it a try.
First, protect yourself.
What I do is take a cloned image of the current running C drive on a ssd of whatever size you need.
It is easy with samsung and their ssd migration app.

Then, use that cloned image alone and try to boot to the new cpu and motherboard.
My experience has been good for about half a dozen such upgrades. If you can boot, install the new chipset and other motherboard drivers. They have all been intel to intel.
I suspect amd to intel or reverse might be more of an issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.