[SOLVED] Do power supplies impact computer performance?

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
I just got back into discovering more about components and computers overall recently and instantly remembered this site and community, I have always had good answers here, so after a long time I came back. My question is: could it be that my components are underperforming because of a power supply?

Hmmm I have seen it stated that a psu can impact performance but I’m yet to see any reviews or testing to back that up and have my doubts about the claim but cannot say for sure. I agree it can impact stability and length of component life. I have never seen a psu cause lost performance.

Reactions: odiukurac70

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
What are the specs for your system (make/model of all installed components)?

Yes, a PSU can certainly have an impact on overall performance and system health. Knowing what you have will help in evaluating your situation. The real answer is "it depends".
Well, I have this psu, i know that you will most likely say it isn't very good, and I'm aware but it served me well for over 5 years and still does, although i will most likely upgrade (as I mentioned in my other post on my profile) my components are a gtx 1050ti and an i5 4590 paired with 1 stick of 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well, I have this psu, i know that you will most likely say it isn't very good, and I'm aware but it served me well for over 5 years and still does, although i will most likely upgrade (as I mentioned in my other post on my profile) my components are a gtx 1050ti and an i5 4590 paired with 1 stick of 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram.
That is a poor quality PSU. However, your system has modest power requirements, so it is likely adequate for your needs. The PSU, in this case, should not impact system performance. System health and stability, as sizzling points out, should be a concern.

I would suggest not overclocking this system (putting additional stress on the poor quality PSU).

Yes, well your generic 400 PSU is a bust. You need to replace it with a proper model asap. With only 14 amps on the +12 volt it can only push 168 watts where you need the most power. Who knows if it has any operational protective circuitry at all?

Reactions: King_V

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
That is a poor quality PSU. However, your system has modest power requirements, so it is likely adequate for your needs. The PSU, in this case, should not impact system performance. System health and stability, as sizzling points out, should be a concern.

I would suggest not overclocking this system (putting additional stress on the poor quality PSU).
Alright, thank you, how can i know if i'm stressing the psu too much, will it give me any warning, or will it just fail, is there risk of damaging the components when it fails, also how does a psu usually fail and what is the cause?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Alright, thank you, how can i know if i'm stressing the psu too much, will it give me any warning, or will it just fail, is there risk of damaging the components when it fails, also how does a psu usually fail and what is the cause?
It will likely just fail. Think of the PSU as the "heart" of the system. When it fails, it often takes other components with it. Don't skimp on PSUs.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hmmm I have seen it stated that a psu can impact performance but I’m yet to see any reviews or testing to back that up and have my doubts about the claim but cannot say for sure. I agree it can impact stability and length of component life. I have never seen a psu cause lost performance.
Think of performance in terms of underpowered PSUs and impact on GPUs and heavily OCed rigs. Those instances are where "performance" can be negatively impacted.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Alright, will do, thank you. Which psu brand is best for the price and good on a budget in your opinion?
It is easier to provide suggestions if we know your budget.

A wealth of knowledge can be found here:

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
It will likely just fail. Think of the PSU as the "heart" of the system. When it fails, it often takes other components with it. Don't skimp on PSUs.
What is the
What is the average lifespan of a psu?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
your CPU is rated 84 watts , and your 1050 ti 75 watts , mobo and fans around 50 watts.

Total 209 watts .. ad 50 watts safe factor , you will need 260 watts but all this should be on 12V

meaning 22A on 12V at least

you need to upgrade that PSU .

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The OP has this thread with some recommendations in it:

odiukurac70

Honorable
Dec 12, 2017
Where do you live and how much is your budget ? dont overkill it , any power supply with 22-30A on 12 V will be good for you.
I don't want to go too big on the psu cause I have to spend money on a new gpu and potentially cpu and ram (so around 45-60 dollars), planning to buy an i7 on a 1150 socket and most likely a gtx 1060.

The quality PSU comes first -- and right now, that's usually going to be $80-$90 at a minimum when it comes to a GPU that requires supplementary power -- and the budget for a CPU/GPU/motherboard/RAM, is determined by what's left after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think of performance in terms of underpowered PSUs and impact on GPUs and heavily OCed rigs. Those instances are where "performance" can be negatively impacted.
But to me that doesn’t make sense. The PSU cannot tell the system it is reaching its limit and to throttle down. The system just draws the current it needs from the rails, if the psu cannot meet that current requirement and the voltages go out of spec the system will crash/restart and not throttle. I may be missing something, the bit I don’t follow is the psu and system don’t communicate with each other and the system just tries to draw what it needs. I’ve also never seen any reviews claim or show performance can be impacted but seen it mentioned in forum posts many times.