[SOLVED] Does a Sabrent NVMe 4.0 M.2 need a heatsink if it’s used with a PCIe3 motherboard?

t000b

Commendable
Nov 19, 2020
I’ve heard that gen4 m.2 drives can generate a lot of heat which can throttle performance and degrade them over time (I’m more concerned with the lifetime of the drive).

Current motherboard has PCIe 3 so drive will be limited to 3400 read and 3000 write. Will this speed limit keep the drive from running hot enough without a heatsink so it’s lifetime isn’t shortened?

Sabrent do say a heatsink is required for a gen4 m2 used with a gen4 motherboard to dissipate heat and maximise performance because of the increased speeds. Am double hoping that PCIe3 doesn’t have this heat issue which can degrade the drive as my boot drive has been a non-heatsinked m.2 for a while now..!

When I upgrade my motherboard (hopefully quite soon!) I’ll be getting one that comes with it’s own heatsinks for the m.2 slots for when the drive is used with PCIe4.

Thanks guys!

Solution
Lets put it this way. Many of the "top tier" PCIe3.0 NVMe SSDs "need" (should have) a heatsink.

Even if your mobo doesn't have an included M.2 heatsink, you can get one on Amazon for $5.