Question Does an AMD Wraith Stealth stock cooler compete reasonably with a Noctua L9i?

junabug2

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
I have both a spare L9i and a spare stock AMD Wraith Stealth, and one of them is going into an entry level gaming PC for a non-tech-literate friend. I've heard that stock coolers aren't really garbage these days (I havent been building PCs regularly for many years), and both of these things are reasonably low profile so I dont think I need to worry about shipping damage.. which is the original reason I planned to use the L9i. But this Wraith Stealth is similar in profile, now that I actually took a look at it.

But is its performance as good as a low profile noctua? Or are they about the same in theory? The parts arent very heavy duty, I'm sending her a 1660 super and a Ryzen 5 4500, so I dont expect cooling needs to be very extreme unless there's something about this particular processor I'm unaware of.

Am I overthinking things? I want everything to just work well, with no real need for after market adjustments unless she becomes comfortable with the idea of working on it herself.

The L9i only fits on Intel platforms, you would need a L9a to get it mounted on an AMD system. The Noctua should be a bit better, referring to the review below:

Last edited:

junabug2

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
Oh, gosh, sorry, its an L9a. I pulled up the wrong amazon page when I was looking at my purchases and if I thought about it for even a second I would have caught it. Same question! And thank you for the answer!