Question Does HDCP downgrade if required ?

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Hi,
I have Asus GT1030 Graphics card that supports Digital Max Resolution 4096 x 2160 and is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
I am currently using a Philips FHD Tv that has HDMI in. This TV was designed wat back in 2011, so I suppose it must be having HDCP 1.4 .

So when I connect my GPU output to my Philips Tv on HDMI port and set resolution of FHD, does it mean it automatically sets the HDCP processing to v 1.4?
As I believe 1.4 is used for FHD and 2.2 is for 4K?
Thanks

Last edited:
@kerberos_20 - Excuse me, looks like I was not able to explain my query properly.
So when I connect my GPU output to my Philips Tv on HDMI port and set resolution of FHD, does it mean it automatically sets the HDCP processing to v 1.4?
As I believe 1.4 is used for FHD and 2.2 is for 4K?
if your TV has HDCP 1.4, then it will stay 1.4 no matter which resolution you choose, HDCP 2.2 content will not play, protected content which has DRM (copy protection) will throw error, here example of such error from netflix
Cant-play-on-this-display%E2%80%8B-Your-device-is-connected-to-an-unsupported-display-Netflix-Hulu-HDCP-Error.jpg

HDCP is used on streaming content (netflix, hulu, disney, etc, etc) or on BD movies, normal PC display does not use HDCP (desktop/games)

mmp09

Commendable
Nov 27, 2021
Seems I am digressing but I think what you are mentioning is applicable when the streaming device is directly connected to HDMI-in port on display. If I am watching Netflix in a web browser on Windows 10 how HDCP comes into play? It's protected from copying on the web browser.
Then would the HDCP on display matter? because the output will be coming from the GPU?

Seems I am digressing but I think what you are mentioning is applicable when the streaming device is directly connected to HDMI-in port on display. If I am watching Netflix in a web browser on Windows 10 how HDCP comes into play? It's protected from copying on the web browser.
Then would the HDCP on display matter? because the output will be coming from the GPU?
you wont be able to watch netflix in a browser if your display doesnt support required HDCP version