[SOLVED] Does more RAM make iGPU faster?

Dec 17, 2021
I got Ryzen 7 5700U series CPU with Radeon Vega 8 iGPU, and 8 GB of ram 5.86 GB usable (Dedicated VRAM: 2048MB).

so will one more 8GB stick make the iGPU faster?

Solution
IGPs will usually benefit from all of the bandwidth you can throw at them, so you want the fastest DIMM pair you can get for a reasonable price.

Right now, 3600-16 kits would be the budget sweet spot as these are only slightly more expensive than most other slower stuff you can get and 4400-19 would be the performance option for 15-20% more money.

InvalidError

Titan
IGPs will usually benefit from all of the bandwidth you can throw at them, so you want the fastest DIMM pair you can get for a reasonable price.

Right now, 3600-16 kits would be the budget sweet spot as these are only slightly more expensive than most other slower stuff you can get and 4400-19 would be the performance option for 15-20% more money.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
BTW, there is no reason to lock away 2GB of RAM for the IGP in BIOS as all of the memory comes from the system pool and drivers can allocate memory on an as-needed basis. The only reason to bother setting IGP reserved memory to more than 128MB (enough to hold the front+back buffers for all connected monitors) is to trick the few games and application that do a strict "hard-check" on dedicated memory size. Most software is content with doing a VRAM check against the GPU's total addressable memory which typically includes half of system RAM up to 16GB, which is why most games will still run on a 1-2GB potato despite greatly exceeding dedicated memory size by using system memory to offset the difference, albeit at a slideshow pace.

And what about Quad channel ?
Quad RAM sticks does not mean Quad Channel. You need a VERY advanced system, and a much more advanced CPU to have the ability to use more than Dual Channel. On 99% of motherboards, there are two slots per channel, so you only need to use two sticks for full Dual Channel performance. Adding two more sticks, for a total of four, will only increase the amount of RAM capacity (in GB) that you have. This will not improve performance unless you are running out of RAM.

Reactions: thesexyfox
Dec 14, 2021
Quad RAM sticks does not mean Quad Channel. You need a VERY advanced system, and a much more advanced CPU to have the ability to use more than Dual Channel. On 99% of motherboards, there are two slots per channel, so you only need to use two sticks for full Dual Channel performance. Adding two more sticks, for a total of four, will only increase the amount of RAM capacity (in GB) that you have. This will not improve performance unless you are running out of RAM.

That clears my confusion. Thank you.

If I found a Ram dual kit available which is not on motherboard QVL. Will it affect.
Or could you just help me find a ram dual kit 16x2 3200 or 3600 cl16 or cl18
but can match with i7-11700k + z590 F ROG - qvl list. I tried to look for them, but either they are not available in market or not the one I am looking for.
use website: from .in domain so I can get my hands on it.

Dec 14, 2021
CORSAIRCMW32GX4M2C3200C16(Ver4.32)

TeamTED432G3200C22DC01

TeamTF10D416G3200HC14BBK

TeamTF10D432G3200HC14BDC01

G.SKILLF4-3200C16D-32GTZA
The above are all tested kits and known to work.

Thank you again for answering.
But partially,

Now what happens suppose I am not able to get my hands on any of the above of those.
But instead found :
for example

F4-3200C16D-32GTZA but with C18D-32GTZN ? And this c18 is not on QVL
So will that affect?

Dec 14, 2021
fXYprFA.png

That clears my confusion. Thank you.

If I found a Ram dual kit available which is not on motherboard QVL. Will it affect.
Or could you just help me find a ram dual kit 16x2 3200 or 3600 cl16 or cl18
but can match with i7-11700k + z590 F ROG - qvl list. I tried to look for them, but either they are not available in market or not the one I am looking for.
use website: from .in domain so I can get my hands on it.
Go here and run a scan.

Dec 14, 2021
Go here and run a scan.

Thanks again partially.
ISsue is If I found or bought a ram kit with SKU or Model Number,
which Is not on my QVL list. How largely it affects?

Asking because I have encountered BSODs on my last build during first 3 months.
Which I legitimately fixed by changing or replacing one RAM module stick.
Yup and in following 7 years no BSODs at all.

Thanks again partially.
ISsue is If I found or bought a ram kit with SKU or Model Number,
which Is not on my QVL list. How largely it affects?

Asking because I have encountered BSODs on my last build during first 3 months.
Which I legitimately fixed by changing or replacing one RAM module stick.
Yup and in following 7 years no BSODs at all.
Crucial guarantees it works.

If you want to buy from some other merchant that's your call.

The qvl is what the maker has tested.
It does not mean those are the only ram that works.

Last edited:
Thank you again for answering.
But partially,

Now what happens suppose I am not able to get my hands on any of the above of those.
But instead found :
for example

F4-3200C16D-32GTZA but with C18D-32GTZN ? And this c18 is not on QVL
So will that affect?
I'm sorry you felt you only had a partial answer, we do the best we can based on the OPs perceived level of competency and try to avoid confusion.

By all means you can get a kit that are not on the MB QVL. Do not rely on the RAM manufacturers QVL (they lie).
DIMMs may have a faster frequency and lower/higher CL however it's best to choose a single kit that is supported by both the CPU and MB that have been tested and known to work and listed on the MB QVL.

Frequency support depends on the strength of the IMC and CL latency is dependent on the quality of the Silicon chips. You will pay more for lower CL.
There is not a great deal of difference between C16 and C18 if gaming and will only show marginal performance increase in certain apps or benchmarking.

The further your SPD is away from JDEC the more manual tuning to DRAM timing control and DRAM Voltage is required to maintain stability.

Getting further into what RAM is all about gets very complicated so keep it simple and just learn the basics unless your an enthusiast.

Reactions: thesexyfox
Dec 14, 2021
I'm sorry you felt you only had a partial answer, we do the best we can based on the OPs perceived level of competency and try to avoid confusion.

By all means you can get a kit that are not on the MB QVL. Do not rely on the RAM manufacturers QVL (they lie).
DIMMs may have a faster frequency and lower/higher CL however it's best to choose a single kit that is supported by both the CPU and MB that have been tested and known to work and listed on the MB QVL.

Frequency support depends on the strength of the IMC and CL latency is dependent on the quality of the Silicon chips. You will pay more for lower CL.
There is not a great deal of difference between C16 and C18 if gaming and will only show marginal performance increase in certain apps or benchmarking.

The further your SPD is away from JDEC the more manual tuning to DRAM timing control and DRAM Voltage is required to maintain stability.

Getting further into what RAM is all about gets very complicated so keep it simple and just learn the basics unless your an enthusiast.

Thank you. That answers my question.

TRENDING THREADS