[SOLVED] does my psu have a problem?

Jan 8, 2021
recently i bought an used PSU Zalman zm360b-aps and it seems to have a problem. When i switch on the pc case button, the psu fan spins for 2 seconds and stops. It repeat like 5 times before the fan starts to spin continuouasly and dont stop anymore. Also i have observed that in the brief moments that the psu fan its not spining it makes a hissing sound. However since i switch on the button the pc works, all others pc fans spins and displays the monitor . So is this psu really with a problem or its a normal behavior? can someone help me?

PC Specs
PSU: zalman zm360b-aps
CPU: i3-540
GPU: rx 550
RAM: 8gb = ddr3 2x2gb and 1x4gb
MB: MSI 2A9C
HD: 1tb 7200 rpm western union

Solution
That PSU is trash. like... maybe only slightly better than some FSP power supply that you find in a Dell pre built business workstation computer.
And you bought it used which makes it even worse.
And now you are trying to make a gaming PC using it, and throwing an RX 500 series GPU at it which needs stable power delivery and quite a bit of wattage to work well and that PSU is poor quality and 360w.

I would say yes, that PSU is a problem in and of itself.

Tell me your budget in your own currency and your country and I will point you at a PSU that will meet your needs.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
That PSU is trash. like... maybe only slightly better than some FSP power supply that you find in a Dell pre built business workstation computer.
And now you are trying to make a gaming PC using it, and throwing an RX 500 series GPU at it which needs stable power delivery and quite a bit of wattage to work well and that PSU is poor quality and 360w.

Tell me your budget in your own currency and your country and I will point you at a PSU that will meet your needs.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution
Jan 8, 2021

hi i'm in a low budget like R$ 130 reais (which is 24 US dolar in current quotation) and from brazil. Since this pc is a very old system i thought it wouldn't require too much power. And the gpu rx 550 is the last upgrade i'm doing and i'm not looking for future upgrades. For the zm360b-aps i search through some forums to find it and although its old they say is an okay psu, but mine has this fan problem. But i'm open for sugestions since i can still return it.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well I'm not entirely sure how to help you with that budget as I would only be able to look at what's available online.
So instead I'll try to point you in the direction of something that'll hopefully work.
Look for the following brands.
While these brands don't guarantee good quality you'll have higher luck with getting something that works rather than something that doesn't.

Corsair
EVGA
Seasonic
Rosewill
Thermaltake
Be Quiet

Try to find something a bit higher wattage than 360w.
You'll want something like 450w instead.

It's never a good idea to cheap out on a power supply though, because if you use a cheap quality PSU, you run the risk that it'll kill itself and take your other PC hardware with it. Then you'll have no PC at all and everything would've been a waste of money.

Jan 8, 2021
Well I'm not entirely sure how to help you with that budget as I would only be able to look at what's available online.
So instead I'll try to point you in the direction of something that'll hopefully work.
Look for the following brands.
While these brands don't guarantee good quality you'll have higher luck with getting something that works rather than something that doesn't.

Corsair
EVGA
Seasonic
Rosewill
Thermaltake
Be Quiet

Try to find something a bit higher wattage than 360w.
You'll want something like 450w instead.

It's never a good idea to cheap out on a power supply though, because if you use a cheap quality PSU, you run the risk that it'll kill itself and take your other PC hardware with it. Then you'll have no PC at all and everything would've been a waste of money.
Yeah i think the dolar conversion was a bad idea of mine cause its not the real consume power. Well I tried to look some of the used psu from those brands but its out of my budget. A used one would be 180-200 reais and are hard to find, and a new one around 320-400 reais. So i was looking for used and older psus on marketplaces like mercadolivre.com.br (its like amazon in brazil) and https://sp.olx.com.br/sao-paulo-e-regiao (sort of ebay) if you want to look at these sites. Do you know some good older models that i can look for? I do have found a seasonic ss-300tfx but since its a 300w psu thought it wouldnt loosely hold my system. What you think about this one?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Looking at your system specs the system will pull upwards of 250w of power.
A 360w psu isn't always capable of properly delivering al 360w.

I've taken a look around and haven't seen much good options for your budget.

The best thing you can do right now then is take it back to the store and try getting a replacement.

You might've just gotten a bad one since you have issues booting and you hear it hissing.