Question Does SSD Speeds matter for boot times?

Aaronmendoza1317

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
I love to game on my Rig, and I have a Ryzen 7 5800x3d, which is great for AM4 Motherboards high tier before needing to eventually upgrade to AM5.

My PC has a 1TB SSD, and 4TB HDDs installed. I don't have them full just like to have some games on the HDD, and use my SSD to boot up windows and have personal files or one or two games that I need for performance.

I am using 250Gb of 1TB, and it boots up kinda slow. I had my System reboot and it took 6 minutes to load up the game back from shut down black screen. (Used timer on iOS)

I noticed my SSD I had since 2019 is outdated, getting old, and I was on a budget at the time. It is the XPG S40G 1TB running Read 3500mb/s and Write 3000Mb/s

Will i notice boot time performance If i go with the Crucial T500 Read at 7200mb/s and Write 7000mb/s? I play CS2 or Valorant and my screen froze and had to reboot, took comp bans, dropped ELO where it gets to be unfun after this randomly keeps happening every few days. It's not consistent, but just odd how it can happen. I did a hard Reset of my SSD and Re-installed Windows 11 and feels faster in every way but the boot time is slow. Once booted finally it performs fast.

Also is the T500 the fastest SSD out there that is compatible with my build? Was looking into the T705 but i don't think it's supported on my MB.

I also have 16GB ram, unsure if that could be an issue even though I just game?? I disabled unwanted startup apps, disabled unimportant system services (Non microsoft), uninstalled Chrome and use only Edge for speed, only have like 6 programs installed, STEAM, RIOT GAMES, EPIC GAMES, DISCORD, GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, and Battlenet (other than 4 games).

Unsure which to focus more on SSD, or RAM? or just both? other games is fine but competetive games is what is hurting me. just slow, but performance runs well when it runs!

Ultra fast boot is enabled in BIOS, UEFI...

Specs :
Windows 11
MB : AS ROCK B450 Pro4
CPU : Ryzen 7 5800x3D
GPU : Nvidia RTX 4090
RAM 16Gb (Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMM) Speed of 3200mb
SSD : XPG S40G 1TB
PSU : MSI MPG A1000G PCIE 5 1000W 80 Plus Gold

I love to game on my Rig, and I have a Ryzen 7 5800x3d, which is great for AM4 Motherboards high tier before needing to eventually upgrade to AM5.

My PC has a 1TB SSD, and 4TB HDDs installed. I don't have them full just like to have some games on the HDD, and use my SSD to boot up windows and have personal files or one or two games that I need for performance.

I am using 250Gb of 1TB, and it boots up kinda slow. I had my System reboot and it took 6 minutes to load up the game back from shut down black screen. (Used timer on iOS)

I noticed my SSD I had since 2019 is outdated, getting old, and I was on a budget at the time. It is the XPG S40G 1TB running Read 3500mb/s and Write 3000Mb/s

Will i notice boot time performance If i go with the Crucial T500 Read at 7200mb/s and Write 7000mb/s? I play CS2 or Valorant and my screen froze and had to reboot, took comp bans, dropped ELO where it gets to be unfun after this randomly keeps happening every few days. It's not consistent, but just odd how it can happen. I did a hard Reset of my SSD and Re-installed Windows 11 and feels faster in every way but the boot time is slow. Once booted finally it performs fast.

Also is the T500 the fastest SSD out there that is compatible with my build? Was looking into the T705 but i don't think it's supported on my MB.

I also have 16GB ram, unsure if that could be an issue even though I just game?? I disabled unwanted startup apps, disabled unimportant system services (Non microsoft), uninstalled Chrome and use only Edge for speed, only have like 6 programs installed, STEAM, RIOT GAMES, EPIC GAMES, DISCORD, GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, and Battlenet (other than 4 games).

Unsure which to focus more on SSD, or RAM? or just both? other games is fine but competetive games is what is hurting me. just slow, but performance runs well when it runs!

Specs :
Windows 11
Not by much, maybe, just maybe couple of seconds at most. It's likely you'll spend most of BOOT time in BIOS which doesn't depend on storage. Once POST is over windows start by enabling drivers and than loading startup programs and their services so their number and size determines time to desktop and full usability. Unless you changed anything, windows will look for updates and securing account which is supposed to be in background but may tie up resources other than disk.
Try this:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootracer.html

Reactions: Aaronmendoza1317

Specs :
Windows 11
Task manager/startup.....what does bios time show?

Unsure which to focus more on SSD, or RAM? or just both?
If you have SSD already, then faster SSD wont improve boot times by any significant means.
It's usually mechanical hard drives (a lot of them or failing ones) that impact boot times considerably.

Disconnect HDD physically and test boot times after that.
Turn off Fast Boot in BIOS and Fast Startup in windows before doing that.

And upgrade ram to 32GB.
4090 system with 16Gb system ram sounds ridiculous.

Silas Sanchez

Proper
Feb 2, 2024
Straight after very first splash screen and starting from the ASUS screen that says press del or F2 to enter bios, the fastest win10 will ever boot with the best nvme is about 12secs (no fast start up setting), that is with a fairly rich amount of programs running and not a lite machine. With fast startup its roughly 7secs.

Aaronmendoza1317

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
Not by much, maybe, just maybe couple of seconds at most. It's likely you'll spend most of BOOT time in BIOS which doesn't depend on storage. Once POST is over windows start by enabling drivers and than loading startup programs and their services so their number and size determines time to desktop and full usability. Unless you changed anything, windows will look for updates and securing account which is supposed to be in background but may tie up resources other than disk.
Try this:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootracer.html
Thank you for the info! Will definitely give it a try.

Aaronmendoza1317

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
Task manager/startup.....what does bios time show?
17 seconds
onfFhe.jpg

Aaronmendoza1317

Reputable
Jan 24, 2020
If you have SSD already, then faster SSD wont improve boot times by any significant means.
It's usually mechanical hard drives (a lot of them or failing ones) that impact boot times considerably.

Disconnect HDD physically and test boot times after that.
Turn off Fast Boot in BIOS and Fast Startup in windows before doing that.

And upgrade ram to 32GB.
4090 system with 16Gb system ram sounds ridiculous.
Thank you will give that a try, if anything is significant I will update you and possibly just get a second and larger SSD to see if that is causing it to boot slow. Definitely plan on upgrading the RAM, always had that mindset of never needing more than 16Gb unless I was doing crazy work. Also with a budget at the time. 100% Next focus on upgrading.