Question Does the GTX 1650 work with an Optiplex 7050

Feb 26, 2024
I am considering getting a GTX 1650 to upgrade my dell Optiplex 7050 SFF. I am concerned about whether the PSU has enough wattage to support the graphics card ( the gtx 1650 is 75w). I also am wondering if the i7 6700 would bottleneck the graphics card. Thanks.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
You'll have to find out the specifications of the PCIe slot in your machine. We found out in another thread, that not all OEM systems supply 75W to the PCIe slot, and some supply much less than that. Too little to run a video card at full speed, if at all.

Reactions: Order 66
Feb 26, 2024
You'll have to find out the specifications of the PCIe slot in your machine. We found out in another thread, that not all OEM systems supply 75W to the PCIe slot, and some supply much less than that. Too little to run a video card at full speed, if at all.
I know that the PCIe port may not supply 75w. I think there is a cable I can use to plug the graphics card into the PSU. I just am unsure if the 180W PSU that comes with the computer is enough for the graphics card, and if it isn’t, what PSU I could replace it with.

Feb 26, 2024
I found this power supply on the dell website: Link
If I were to get this power supply, I think it would be good enough for the gtx 1650.

I found this power supply on the dell website: Link
If I were to get this power supply, I think it would be good enough for the gtx 1650.
The psu won't have enough power probly your best would be a gt 1030. Anything to power hungry won't work . And max psu for that model I believe was 240 watts

Unofficially you could run on a 240w psu low profile Rx ,6400 max it's not advised.

I know it's not what you or I for that matter would want to hear if that is what I had to work with the SFF but the OEM's Dell / HP / Lenovo have made the SFF a pain to make into anything more than what they had intended it for it's projected market.

With out sending you down the rabbit hole trying to adapt the SFF you could for $100. off ebay get something more user friendly to make upgrades more normal.

But also a word of caution that also comes down to research on if a particular model Desktop Dell or other OEM's have road blocks on you may choose to buy.

Don't get me wrong SFF computer are great but as far as upgrades it's more or less a locked to design PC.

If anything the GT 1030 that beyondlogic suggested and call it.

Feb 26, 2024
The psu won't have enough power probly your best would be a gt 1030. Anything to power hungry won't work . And max psu for that model I believe was 240 watts

Unofficially you could run on a 240w psu low profile Rx ,6400 max it's not advised.
Would the gt 1030 run on the 180w psu it comes with or would I also have to buy the 240w from dell

Feb 26, 2024

Are there any 250w+ gpu’s that would be compatible so I could safely run the Rx 6400? Also, could the 1030 run on my current 180w psu without me having to upgrade?

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1762559442...vFUfPRLZFUjpXs36QnfDVDtFkw|tkp:Bk9SR8KCpMC9Yw

Just as an example about $55.00 with shipping already added.

It already has an upgraded power supply. Your past that Dell OEM low power standard supplied one.

Has an Radeon HD 6790. Later this setup could also throw in a GTX 1080.

16 Gb of memory and this model Dell can take 32Gb of total system memory.

No hard drive but SSD are $20 to $50 off amazon.

Again just an example but a sweet deal with no head aches upgrading.

Are there any 250w+ gpu’s that would be compatible so I could safely run the Rx 6400? Also, could the 1030 run on my current 180w psu without me having to upgrade?
1030 will run fine on a 180w just make sure it's gddr5 model they barely draw 30w. For context these machines came with r5 430 draws similar so should be fine. Your looking for a low profile single slot gpu

Feb 26, 2024
1030 will run fine on a 180w just make sure it's gddr5 model they barely draw 30w. For context these machines came with r5 430 draws similar so should be fine. Your looking for a low profile single slot gpu
My gt 1030 just arrived and I realized I forgot to make it a single slot low profile one. It doesn’t fit in the pcie slot because of the power supply. I am thinking about getting a pcie riser and using it to move the gpu a bit farther away from the pcie slot. Here is a photo of the pc without the gpu for reference:
IMG-6874.jpg

Being as this is not the proper size OEM PC to really upgrade because it makes life harder but non the less.

Honestly you have the PC and GPU that's a given. So at this point the couple things I think that will get you at least to working space wise.

You have two big issues yes power supply in the way and also the door locking mechanism that will interfere with the back bracket of the GPU.

You could flip the power supply to the other side of the wall to basically outside the case and be creative and use large zip ties to secure it to the sidewall of case. Looks like you can pull up some slack on the wires for motherboard to reach. Than file down the notch where the side panel slides into on the side of the case to give wires a pass through.

Now on to the GPU first the side panel locking mechanism needs to be removed and I have no Idea if the GPU ports will be block as your card is not a low profile GPU. You might need to mod the rear of case to make sure GPU has access to ports.

Last be creative on how to bolt down the GPU as the bracket will be to tall for the SSF case. You could also zip tie it.

Will it function most likely. Will it be pretty ?

Were going for function and at this point you need to at least put it all together and see if parts play nice.

On your question can you use a riser card. That has it's +/- because of the SFF.

Feb 26, 2024
Being as this is not the proper size OEM PC to really upgrade because it makes life harder but non the less.

Honestly you have the PC and GPU that's a given. So at this point the couple things I think that will get you at least to working space wise.

You have two big issues yes power supply in the way and also the door locking mechanism that will interfere with the back bracket of the GPU.

You could flip the power supply to the other side of the wall to basically outside the case and be creative and use large zip ties to secure it to the sidewall of case. Looks like you can pull up some slack on the wires for motherboard to reach. Than file down the notch where the side panel slides into on the side of the case to give wires a pass through.

Now on to the GPU first the side panel locking mechanism needs to be removed and I have no Idea if the GPU ports will be block as your card is not a low profile GPU. You might need to mod the rear of case to make sure GPU has access to ports.

Last be creative on how to bolt down the GPU as the bracket will be to tall for the SSF case. You could also zip tie it.

Will it function most likely. Will it be pretty ?

Were going for function and at this point you need to at least put it all together and see if parts play nice.

On your question can you use a riser card. That has its +/- because of the SFF.
thanks for the help. I’m looking at a pcie riser cable like this one:
Link
I think it would let me install the gpu without having to move the psu. I would just run the hdmi cord into the case and plug it into the gpu.

If your set on doing it with the riser cable I would say get a longer leash so you have more cable to play with to do your set up and make easier.

Just so you know I'm not against riser cables just don't want you to nickel and dime your SFF and still not be where you wanted to be in the end.

My gt 1030 just arrived and I realized I forgot to make it a single slot low profile one. It doesn’t fit in the pcie slot because of the power supply. I am thinking about getting a pcie riser and using it to move the gpu a bit farther away from the pcie slot. Here is a photo of the pc without the gpu for reference:
IMG-6874.jpg

make and model of the 1030