[SOLVED] Does this PSU have the amperage for Rx 570 4gb

Aug 15, 2019
Hi, i just bought a Shappire pulse rx 570 4gb and realized that maybe my psu could not handle it because of amperage problems.

My psu is the Thelmaltake TR2 600W Non PFC.
I currently have an i5 3330 3.0Ghz, Gainward GTX 660 OC 2gb vram, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD.

The box of the psu says: (+3,3V 22A ; +5V 18A ; +12V1 23A ; +12V2 20A; -12V 0.3A ; +5VSB 2.5V).

I do not undestand how to calculate the amperage of the psu that is going to be for the new GPU. I also failed to find the amperage for this particular gpu that i bought ¿is my PSU going to suply enough amperage?

Thanks.

Solution
What is the EXACT and SPECIFIC model of that TR2 unit? The reason I ask is because there are two different versions of it. Neither of them are very good, but one is EXTREMELY poor quality while the other is just slightly below mediocre.

If you have the lesser and older of the two models, I would suggest that you never use it again and immediately throw it in the trash before it damages anything, if it hasn't already.

If you have the other of the two models, I'd suggest that you begin to make plans to replace it as soon as possible if you are going to use it with anything other than a very basic system that does not use a gaming card.

As you can see at the following link, that exact model of power supply is what brought me to Tom's...
What is the EXACT and SPECIFIC model of that TR2 unit? The reason I ask is because there are two different versions of it. Neither of them are very good, but one is EXTREMELY poor quality while the other is just slightly below mediocre.

If you have the lesser and older of the two models, I would suggest that you never use it again and immediately throw it in the trash before it damages anything, if it hasn't already.

If you have the other of the two models, I'd suggest that you begin to make plans to replace it as soon as possible if you are going to use it with anything other than a very basic system that does not use a gaming card.

As you can see at the following link, that exact model of power supply is what brought me to Tom's hardware, many years ago. My first post here in fact was in relation to that unit.

Reactions: Matt8599
Solution
Aug 15, 2019

As you can see at the following link, that exact model of power supply is what brought me to Tom's hardware, many years ago. My first post here in fact was in relation to that unit.

I have the same a you did, the cable management version. also: in the box says MODEL: TR-600: Thermaltake TR2 600W Non PFC.

Aug 15, 2019
From the rail distro and the lack of active PFC, I'm fairly certain that it's the older one which you do not want to be using. Amazed it's still functional all this time. But it's something you really want to send to a recycling center.
I never thought this could be so bad. Thanks for the recomendation.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
I do not undestand how to calculate the amperage of the psu that is going to be for the new GPU
Watts=Volts*Amps. Your graphics card is running off the 12v rail and has a tdp of 140w, so it needs about 12a. It's simpler to use an online psu calculator though.
Thelmaltake TR2 600W Non PFC
I'm not an expert, but a quality psu should always have actvive PFC. Get some quality psu like Corsair RM/Tx series of Seasonic Focus+. For a tight budget consider Corsair CX 2017 (grey units). Your system won't need more than 400w, but you should have enough clearance. Maybe 450w would be enough, but I'd go for 500w at least.

That's not ENTIRELY accurate. The Antec VP-450, for example, does NOT have active PFC but instead has manual switching, and those units were generally very decent quality although I wouldn't recommend using them in any system that has a gaming card or is being overclocked. For business and internet browsing machines, they are "ok".

Mostly, I'd agree, but the mere fact of them having active PFC does NOT make them a quality unit, by any stretch of the imagination. Plenty of units with active PFC that I wouldn't use for anything other than starting a campfire.

Aug 15, 2019
Watts=Volts*Amps. Your graphics card is running off the 12v rail and has a tdp of 140w, so it needs about 12a. It's simpler to use an online psu calculator though.

I'm not an expert, but a quality psu should always have actvive PFC. Get some quality psu like Corsair RM/Tx series of Seasonic Focus+. For a tight budget consider Corsair CX 2017 (grey units). Your system won't need more than 400w, but you should have enough clearance. Maybe 450w would be enough, but I'd go for 500w at least.

i disagree a little bit, if you search "Power requirements for graphics cards 2.0" and enter the msi page your will finde that the rx 570 need 25A. I do not know if this translates to the shappire version but i do not think both will be SO different.

Last edited:
Yeah, the TR2s were never a great series and you're fortunate to have gotten this much time out of it without any obvious damage. Given the lack of active PFC and the fact that it lists it as compliant with a 2007 ATX revision suggests this is almost a 15-year-old PSU.

Not necessarily. The one I dealt with in my first post here, was purchased in 2013, only six years ago.

Aug 15, 2019
You will never go wrong if you simply go by the recommended capacities listed at the following link, AND also make sure that the unit you buy is a quality unit and has generally positive reviews on one of the professional review sites like Tom's hardware, TechPowerUP, JonnyGuru or Anandtech.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Why the link do not show the amperage needs?, based on that link i should be able to use the rx570 very well (i have 600w and the links says it needs 500w).

I clearly said "good quality". Any "good quality" 450w or higher power supply is more than enough for an RX 570.

Any "decent" quality 500w unit is enough for the RX 570.

The TR2 is NOT "decent quality" and sure as hell isn't "good quality", in case you haven't been paying attention. That unit would be lucky if it could sustain 350w AND it has other problems besides the inability to sustain it's rated wattage. It lacks adequate protections, lacks PFC, uses maybe the worst possible quality capacitors which means it also doesn't last long and is a fire and shock hazard besides.

Aug 15, 2019
I clearly said "good quality". Any "good quality" 450w or higher power supply is more than enough for an RX 570.

Any "decent" quality 500w unit is enough for the RX 570.

The TR2 is NOT "decent quality" and sure as hell isn't "good quality", in case you haven't been paying attention. That unit would be lucky if it could sustain 350w AND it has other problems besides the inability to sustain it's rated wattage. It lacks adequate protections, lacks PFC, uses maybe the worst possible quality capacitors which means it also doesn't last long and is a fire and shock hazard besides.
Very well, i still have the doubt of how to calculate the amperage of this PSU and which are the amperage needs of this particular GPU. I think i will keep investigating and after that i will buy a new PSU.

This is the first question i made here and i am very suprised of the result. Thanks to all of you.

My cousin has had one in an old FX build for years , still running. Very lucky.

I'll gladly sell him another one if he wants to buy it as a backup. LOL.

MHQxIHt.jpg

OEgre9A.jpg

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Very well, i still have the doubt of how to calculate the amperage of this PSU and which are the amperage needs of this particular GPU. I think i will keep investigating and after that i will buy a new PSU.

This is the first question i made here and i am very suprised of the result. Thanks to all of you.
Amps = Watts/Volts. RX 570 has a TDP of 120w and in runs on the 12v rail, so it would need 10A.
Your system shouldn't require more that 20-22A under load, so you have plenty of headroom, consideeing most quality units should supply about 40.

Aug 15, 2019
Amps = Watts/Volts. RX 570 has a TDP of 120w and in runs on the 12v rail, so it would need 10A.
Your system shouldn't require more that 20-22A under load, so you have plenty of headroom, consideeing most quality units should supply about 40.
The problem with your answer is that, as i stated before, there is a page that lists amperage and wattage for video cards and the rx 570 need 25A, not even close to 10A. So, until someone shows why that site is wrong, i still hold doubts (i want to be 100% sure that my pc is not going to explode). Still, thanks for your answer.