[SOLVED] Does unplugging the computer really reduce the life of the bulk capacitor?

Feb 7, 2022
I live in an Eastern European country where for "some reason" the electrical network has become very unstable lately.. I purchased an UPS that seems to have surge protection, but I'm not at all sure about it. Therefore, every night when I do not use the PC, I turn it off and unplug out of the UPS. I tried to find an answer to the question of whether such a practice harms PC and came across the answer that this leads to undesirable frequent discharge and charging сycles of the bulk capacitor and PC is created to be constantly plugged in and having power. Is this true and what consequences can I face if the capacitor is discharged every night? Is it really harmful to the capacitor or other elements of the power supply?

Solution
No such thing, you're safe to disconnect from the wall or any power outlet(UPS included) without fear of the capacitors getting damaged. Just make sure the system is powered down, as well as the UPS and the wall outlet is shut off before you begin disconnecting the PC from the UPS.

Lutfij

Titan
No such thing, you're safe to disconnect from the wall or any power outlet(UPS included) without fear of the capacitors getting damaged. Just make sure the system is powered down, as well as the UPS and the wall outlet is shut off before you begin disconnecting the PC from the UPS.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS