[DONE] Blizzard Not Expecting Major World Of Warcraft Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Personally, I'm so turned off by Blizzard.NET as a platform that I don't anticipate playing any Blizzard titles in the foreseeable future.

I have been playing Blizzard games for a very long time. The problem with Blizzard lately has been the lack of input from their player base. They are catering towards the minority and due to this they lost a lot of players. The talent system changes, the difficulty of the game, just everything in general. They are focusing on their stock numbers more than their player bases. If you focus on your player base the stock numbers would increase. I still play Starcraft and World of Warcraft from time to time but the lack of support from Blizzard and the community has really killed World of Warcraft.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Blizzard have imo made the mistake so many companies do nowadays - Aim to please everyone and end up pleasing none!

(Also doing the same instance for 1/2 year+ dont help....)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
man, they made so much bank off this game. i can imagine this game being quite successful for another decade, easy. more successful than any competitor anyway. i dont scoff at 6.4million players. other mmo's would LOVE 6.4million players. it will probably finanlly dwindle down to "only" 1 million in like 7 years.

unless of course blizzard pulls a fast "pay to win model". then i see it dying quickly.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Blizzard have imo made the mistake so many companies do nowadays - Aim to please everyone and end up pleasing none!

Strange that since they started doing expansions where every tier replaced all other content (IE, patch 5.4 invalidates patch 5.3 content, etc - where you can just jump into the latest heroics and skip previous raids) you end up with too little content.

Early WOTLK, BC, and Vanilla all had tiered progression where you had to clear what came before to reach higher tier content.

This was good for both the casuals *and* the hardcore - it meant any player would have a significant amount of content to progress through - either soon, or immediately. If you started playing Burning Crusade in patch 2.4, you would have 3 raid tiers worth of content to run, just in 25 man alone. If you started in 2.0, 2.1 came out four months later with a second tier, quickly padding content out.

Likewise, in Vanilla, new players had MC -> BWL -> AQ / Naxx to progress through. Huge amount of content.

Today, you hit level 90, run heroics, and go LFR Siege of Orgrimmar, then Normal Siege of Orgrimmar, than Heroic Siege of Orgrimmar. Notice how I never mention any other raid. Because you have no reason to run any other ones.

Same with late Cataclysm - 3 Dragon Soul Heroics -> Raid Finder -> Normal -> Heroic Dragon Soul. No reason to touch old content.

And late WotLK had this happen too, where up through Ulduar they had linear progression (Naxx -> Ulduar) but ToC replaced both of them, and then ICC replaced ToC. It should surprise nobody that WoW peaked in WotLK early on, and ICC only fluke rebounded the population because "zomg lich king".

So yeah, no surprise there is nothing to do - you keep invalidating all your raids within 6 months of their release, and then everyone gets stuck at the end of an expansion cycle with one raid for over a year.

If Blizzard made a "mistake" with creating the most profitable game in history then what would you consider a success?

It may not be a game I like to play, nor apparently you, but the proof is in the pudding so financially they are as far from making a mistake as you can get.

What I hated about MOP was there were so you couldn't do until you turned 90. Then when you turn 90 there is too much you can do. It would be better if they let you do more of the stuff before you max out rather then only unlock most of the content when you reach 90. As to aiming to please people they need to stop listening to the professional whiners on the blogs. And they need to address their horde bias too.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Do you cater to the raiders or to the rest? So far the answer has been raiders. With every new expansion, the gear gets huge upgrades. New green quest gear is almost on par with the best raid gear you could get b4 expansion.
If they didn't, raiders would find the new content too easy. So, raid for a year or two OR wait for next expansion. People aren't stupid.

Then theres the thing about progression. Most players are at max level. You HAVE to cater content to that segment.
I doubt you can run vanilla raids with a 40-man raid today. Simply because theres not enough players around that level. If you had to do all the previous content to get access to new content, you would be looking at years of grinding. Who would do that?

Add the dumbing down of the game and less character development/RPG/uniqueness like removing talent points.
Used to be lots of choices, now you have 3 per tier. And generally 2 of those don't fit your specialization.
If anything, the game moved more towards cookie-cutter builds.

The graphics upgrade: I don't care about faces. I don't even know how my chars face looks like. I do care about gear and I'm not seeing that getting any upgrades. Just compare to Everquest2, a game released the same year as WoW.
Detailed, beautiful gear and it has only gotten better.
Example: http://www.everquest2.com/images/en/features/2012/05/marketplace/30/armor.jpg

You got that right, the way they have evolved the game they have made it a waste of time to do the earlier Raids now. Which is too bad some were really a blast. Now they are basically pointless.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
WoD might bring a few players back, but the move towards RTS style gameplay is likely to drive away some of the RPG players. I signed up for WoW because of it being an RPG game and the movement towards RTS style was among the reasons I quit playing, along with the constant, endless reputation grind that essentially halts progression. If there's no feeling of progression, what's the point in playing the game? The quality of the content, as well as the actual quantity of content they offer has been decreasing with each expansion. The peak seemed to be with Wrath....for both quality and quantity. Cataclysm started the downward trend and I don't see WoD being any improvement. Only more of the downhill slide.

amonkey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Subscription numbers don't really matter when Blizzard is pushing cash shop content so hard in World of Warcraft. The first item they put on the store made $15 million in one day...

Dumbing down is right, 1st the talent trees now they are dumping reforging, next reducing the number of abilities or spells each class has.

I have several friends that are hardcore Everquest they loving grinding for months for 1 point of this or that, lol. So far they tell me they are disappointed in the new Everquest offering and the lack of players.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Well if they go by their formula, they've been doing it wrong for years. They should release more content, but they won't, even though not releasing more content costs them money.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

They do. People say it's cause of F2P but that's all flooded with soso mmo's. I think if they came out with a new MMO they would start to see those high numbers back again and even higher. Most people with the exception of the hardcore fans got what they wanted out of the game.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
>"We really don't know if it will grow again,"

it won't. the popularity peaked. the subscription base will keep declining until there's a core group left, and then eventually they'll move on too. you should make a new game.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Wait, EQ 2 is still P2P? or is it F2P and they just charge for the Exp Packs. I would have thought it had gone F2P, I hardly ever hear anything about EQ 2 or even Vanguard for that matter.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

1st of all there not buying the game again and again. 2nd of all it use to not be full price and as far as pay every month is cause they enjoy it. People pay for cable TV every month and yet they most likely watch less then 1/2 of what's on there package and yet they still pay a monthly bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.