News Don't Build a High-End Gaming PC Right Now

Nov 4, 2020
I'm just as concerned about Motherboard prices. I want to replace an old (really old) i7-990X system and the only component I plan to keep is the 2070 Super card. Definitely going to wait for a Zen3 CPU (probably 5900XT).

Two boards under consideration are Aorus Xtreme and Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. I don't want a chipset fan.

Based on this article, if I can snag a Zen3 (5900XT or 5950XT) then I'm probably OK to just buy the remaining components (RAM, Case, PSU, M.2 Drive & Cooler)?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 4, 2020
You're going to want new RAM. Yours is DDR3 and the new stuff is DDR4. You will also likely need a new CPU cooler, or at least a new CPU cooler bracket. The hole pattern is going to be different so you need to be sure they line up with the new motherboard.

Agreed. The ONLY component I am planning to keep is the 2070Super GPU.

I do not know if the remaining components are also jacked up right now.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Maybe a little nitpicky, but I'm puzzled by the fact that the RX 5600 XT is under the "Low-end cards" category, yet the slightly slower RTX 2060 is in the "Mid range".
Agreed and not nitpicky at all, I don't know what the author was thinking, both cards are in the same bracket of price and performance (5% difference one vs the other)... so it makes no sense to put one above the other.
Both are in the low end of performance, except their price which is not, it's much higher than it should be for that performance... but we can blame nvidia for that, AMD just followed suit.

law records

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I'm just as concerned about Motherboard prices. I want to replace an old (really old) i7-990X system and the only component I plan to keep is the 2070 Super card. Definitely going to wait for a Zen3 CPU (probably 5900XT).

Two boards under consideration are Aorus Xtreme and Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. I don't want a chipset fan.

Based on this article, if I can snag a Zen3 (5900XT or 5950XT) then I'm probably OK to just buy the remaining components (RAM, Case, PSU, M.2 Drive & Cooler)?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat - I've got an Intel 2600K with a 1080ti and its high time for an upgrade.
  • I'm going Ryzen 5900X and also want a motherboard without chipset fan - and also waiting for the Dark Hero. Hopefully its not too expensive. I might consider a B550 if the Dark Hero costs too much.
  • Looking at a 3080 or 3080ti but will keep my 1080ti until there is stock. Keeping an eye on the AMD cards though... if they're in stock and run cool and at low noise, I might go for one.
  • For RAM, i'm getting the G-skill Trident Z Neo 32gb (2 x 16) at 3600mhz and CL16.
  • Already bought my NVME- a Sabrent Rocket 2TB PCI 4.
  • Other parts are Fractal Design Define 7 case, Corsair AX 1000 power supply, and Noctua U12S chromax.black cooler.

Reactions: Kridian
Nov 4, 2020
I'm in the same boat - I've got an Intel 2600K with a 1080ti and its high time for an upgrade.
  • I'm going Ryzen 5900X and also want a motherboard without chipset fan - and also waiting for the Dark Hero. Hopefully its not too expensive. I might consider a B550 if the Dark Hero costs too much.
  • Looking at a 3080 or 3080ti but will keep my 1080ti until there is stock. Keeping an eye on the AMD cards though... if they're in stock and run cool and at low noise, I might go for one.
  • For RAM, i'm getting the G-skill Trident Z Neo 32gb (2 x 16) at 3600mhz and CL16.
  • Already bought my NVME- a Sabrent Rocket 2TB PCI 4.
  • Other parts are Fractal Design Define 7 case, Corsair AX 1000 power supply, and Noctua U12S chromax.black cooler.

I guess I'm in good company on my hardware selection. I'm looking at the Same CPU, Cooler, Case and PSU (although Seasonic Prime 1000 is a contender). Considering Ballistics MAX 2x16 kit for RAM (DDR4-4000) and Samsung 980Pro for M.2 drive.

Kilbane_

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
I just built a new gaming rig in preparation for the 3k and 6k GPUs basically from Tom's "Best of.." list due to some good deal on Prime Day.

Fractal Design 7
I5-10600K (O.C.'d 5k)
MSI Z490 Tomahawk
16gb 4400mhz Patriot Viper (down clocked to 4000 but CAS set to 15-15-15-38)
MSI GTX 970 (carried over from the old system)
Adata PCIE m.2 1TB
2TB Seagate Barracuda pro for media storage
Cooler Master 360 RGB
SeaSonic 750w PSU

Unfortunately I did not anticipate the strong numbers reported for the new AMD CPUs, nor the curveball with the potential FPS boost with both a AMD CPU and GPU in the 6k series. Oh well.. such is life. Really was hoping to snag a 3070, but based on the somewhat below expectations of that card, and the price/performance of AMD's numbers I'm really looking forward to a full benchmark comparison by Tom's to help me make my final decision.

Either way I guess I'll have to hurry up and wait.

I'm thinking the best thing to invest in right now for me personally is a PS5 to tide me over this shortage.
For some reason I think it might, MIGHT be more feasible to snag a playstation in the next month or two than it will be to snag a 3080.

caseym54

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well, I am building one, but I can wait on the graphics card -- my current card is still serviceable and changing that in a month or two isn't a problem. The CPU is more of an issue though.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry but I would disagree with this. Are you going to get a top notch video card right now well no not unless you can find one. But for 1080p 144hz or even 1440p you can still buy a very good PC for gaming even with a bit older video card.

1900 area with SSD's, 32GB of memory a very good gaming processor, and a power supply big enough for adding a 3080 card if you can find one.

Their really not a good time to buy a PC because something newer and beter is always right around the corner but if you need one right now.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $377.77 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler | $79.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $189.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $114.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $53.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $114.99 @ Adorama
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card | $749.11 @ Amazon
Case | NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $144.99 @ Best Buy
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1895.76
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-04 18:17 EST-0500 |

EDIT Top notch video card well no BUT their no telling when you can get your hands on that very poor supply of a new card. Good gaming PC yes!

At this point in time as games are evolving I see no reason not to buy 32GB of memory if your counting on most of the PC to last 5/6 years. Better than buying 16GB and 2 years from now needing to add more and it not play nice together making you buy a 32GB set then.

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
sad time to be canadian.
For the CPU, the better gaming budget option is the less expensive Ryzen, the R3 3100, wich is like 170CAD here.
I leaned towards a R7 1700 on Aliexpress @150CAD, to get a true 8 cores, but worse memory support, need for a beefier motherboard, lack of bundled cooler made me change my mind. Those points make it less ideal than the R3 3100 for a budget gaming pc.

It performs like a 7700k, for the price it's not bad at all, but I remember a few years ago when top of the line CPUS and GPUs were like 300$

As for budget gaming GPUs I still recommend to my friends used RX480 @ 130$CAD. this price/perfs ratio is uncontested. And it still doing wonders for 1080p and even most VR titles.

Last edited:

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I think the admin is just trying to get less competition for the Nvidia cards ...im almost done with my build, hopefully can get the 5900x ....this is a new build from ground up so I am looking at a 3080 FE collect dust on my floor while I wait for the CPU. It took about a month to finally land one through best buy, if the CPU chase is anything like that 3900x it is!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think the admin is just trying to get less competition for the Nvidia cards ...im almost done with my build, hopefully can get the 5900x ....this is a new build from ground up so I am looking at a 3080 FE collect dust on my floor while I wait for the CPU. It took about a month to finally land one through best buy, if the CPU chase is anything like that 3900x it is!
I would buy a MSI motherboard that has the BIOS flash button on the back that can update the BIOS without a working CPU.

Their going to be a ton of people get their fillings hurt over the X570 boards not having the correct BIOS version for the new CPU's.

InvalidError

Titan
sad time to be canadian.
For the CPU, the better gaming budget option is the less expensive Ryzen, the R3 3100, wich is like 170CAD here.
If I had to build a new PC in Canuckistan right now, I'd get an i5-10400 for $230. Since my i5-3470 is still working fine though, I'll wait to see what happens after Intel's 11th gen launch.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I would buy a MSI motherboard that has the BIOS flash button on the back that can update the BIOS without a working CPU.

Their going to be a ton of people get their fillings hurt over the X570 boards not having the correct BIOS version for the new CPU's.
I got the motherboard way too early, got it in Sept an Asus X570 e Strix... should be ok, if not Ill report back here!

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I have been in the gaming PC thing since a screaming 3d card(rendition) win95 and a P5, late 1995/1996.
It has never been a good time to build a PC with bleeding edge components. It is always best to ride in a year or so late to that party unless you like burning money or someone else is buying it for you.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020

not really, you can contact AMD and they will send you a cpu that will work with the board, update the bios, make sure the new cpu works, then send the cpu back to amd. thats what i had to do when i picked up my 3900x and x570 E Gaming back in feb/march when i bought it. the other option, is to see if your local comp store will update the bios for you if you cant wait.

Co BIY

Splendid
It would be nice if Tom's would run a i5-10400 review. Especially if they are going to recommend them! I would be interested to see if you even give up any frames over a 10600k with a midrange card

I just built a computer with my son using a i5-10400 on a Tomahawk board - Runs great. Delayed a graphics card purchase for all the reasons above and running an old 750 Ti. It is supposed to be a "school computer" anyway.

Craigslisted a massive Coolermaster Trooper tower for his build so it impresses his friends.

32" 1440 screens are cheap and amazing!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
not really, you can contact AMD and they will send you a cpu that will work with the board, update the bios, make sure the new cpu works, then send the cpu back to amd. thats what i had to do when i picked up my 3900x and x570 E Gaming back in feb/march when i bought it. the other option, is to see if your local comp store will update the bios for you if you cant wait.
Not sure they even do that anymore. The only person I have known to do that with the older gen processors took him like 4 weeks to get the processor.

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
sad time to be canadian.
I leaned towards a R7 1700 on Aliexpress @150CAD, to get a true 8 cores, but worse memory support, need for a beefier motherboard, lack of bundled cooler made me change my mind. Those points make it less ideal than the R3 3100 for a budget gaming pc.

It performs like a 7700k, for the price it's not bad at all, but I remember a few years ago when top of the line CPUS and GPUs were like 300$

As for budget gaming GPUs I still recommend to my friends used RX480 @ 130$CAD. this price/perfs ratio is uncontested. And it still doing wonders for 1080p and even most VR titles.

True. Prices are brutal.
Both of my sons want to build mid range gaming pc's for Christmas and I am struggling with how long to wait for prices to hopefully go lower vs "will I get it in time for Christmas"
We're going Ryzen 5 3600, B550, & maybe 2060 gpu.