Doom 3 Hell: Remind you of Quake?

Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of Quake.
Anyone else sense this?

--
Advanced Primate
XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:02:37 +0000, Advanced Primate wrote:

> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of Quake.
> Anyone else sense this?

Yes indeed.

Linux Registered User #327951

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@invalid.lan> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:02:37 +0000, Advanced Primate wrote:
>
>> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of Quake.
>> Anyone else sense this?
>
> Yes indeed.

Nice to know I'm not crazy Dan.

"Advanced Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of
> Quake. Anyone else sense this?

Once you get TO Hell, yes, it sure does. Doing Mars base in Doom3 was
plenty of Mars for a while. I'd pay for a full remake of Quake in the
Doom3 engine! Wow.
McG.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Advanced Primate wrote:

> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of
> Quake. Anyone else sense this?

Doom3 simply *is* a glorified Quake. ;)

On Sun, 01 May 2005 12:20:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Advanced Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
>> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of
>> Quake. Anyone else sense this?
>
>Once you get TO Hell, yes, it sure does. Doing Mars base in Doom3 was
>plenty of Mars for a while. I'd pay for a full remake of Quake in the
>Doom3 engine! Wow.
>McG.

google for telejano, its a replacement engine for q1 adding particles,
shadows, new textures & models & generally giving the old girl a bit
of polishing. it works with many mods, too.
highly recommended.

dr ratt
gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.

> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of Quake.

Which Quake????? Quake 1 ? Quake 2 ? Quake 3 ?

Stephen Howe

On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:09:41 +0100, Stephen Howe wrote:

>> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of Quake.

> Which Quake????? Quake 1 ? Quake 2 ? Quake 3 ?

He said which one. "Quake". If you insist on putting a number after it,
I guess you'd call it "Quake 1", although that is not an accurate name.
It was the original Quake, and that's what it was called (and still is).

Only the later ones had numbers (2 and 3).

Linux Registered User #327951

> He said which one. "Quake".

More times than I can count I have seen people mention "Quake" when they
mean Quake 2 and Quake 3.
"Quake 1" is unambigious.

> If you insist on putting a number after it,
> I guess you'd call it "Quake 1", although that is not an accurate name.
> It was the original Quake, and that's what it was called (and still is).

Well that is true. But it is rather like Kings in the UK.
There was once a "William".
But the moment there is a "William II", the previous "William" is now
referred to as "William I".
Since there exists Quake's 2 & 3 (and soon Quake 4), for the sake of
disambiguity, "Quake 1" fits

SH

"dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 12:20:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Advanced Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
>>> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of
>>> Quake. Anyone else sense this?
>>
>> Once you get TO Hell, yes, it sure does. Doing Mars base in Doom3
>> was plenty of Mars for a while. I'd pay for a full remake of Quake
>> in the Doom3 engine! Wow.
>> McG.
>>

> google for telejano, its a replacement engine for q1 adding particles,
> shadows, new textures & models & generally giving the old girl a bit
> of polishing. it works with many mods, too.
> highly recommended.
>
> dr ratt
> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.

Ok, I've dl'd it, will check it out asap, thanks!
McG.

"Stephen Howe" <sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Playing thru this level at certain places brings back memories of
>> Quake.
>
> Which Quake????? Quake 1 ? Quake 2 ? Quake 3 ?
>
> Stephen Howe

Aw man... There was Quake. Then, Quake 2, then Q3A. We were speaking
to the thrill of some of the original Quake, also called QuakeC or Quake
Classic.

>> He said which one. "Quake".
>
> More times than I can count I have seen people mention "Quake" when
> they mean Quake 2 and Quake 3.
> "Quake 1" is unambigious.
>
>> If you insist on putting a number after it,
>> I guess you'd call it "Quake 1", although that is not an accurate
>> name. It was the original Quake, and that's what it was called (and
>> still is).
>
> Well that is true. But it is rather like Kings in the UK.
> There was once a "William".
> But the moment there is a "William II", the previous "William" is now
> referred to as "William I".
> Since there exists Quake's 2 & 3 (and soon Quake 4), for the sake of
> disambiguity, "Quake 1" fits
>
> SH

Ok. QuakeC. For "Classic" :)
McG.

> We were speaking to the thrill of some of the original Quake, also called
> QuakeC or Quake Classic.

Good game. Played it on "Nightmare mode" (unlike Doom, Nightmare is
playable - the Shamblers go absolutely crazy and Grunts & Enforcers fire 3
times a second. But they stay dead) a few times. Also played Scourge of
Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity on Nightmare mode. Both boss monsters
are easy to beat if you resort to sniper tactics and skulking, otherwise
they are absolute murder.

I still have questions on this game - like what causes the 4 scrags
(wizards) on E2M5 near the Quad Damage in the acid to activate? And the ogre
near the silver key door on E1M3 - never activates? And a spore on E4M5 -
never activates?
And a hidden lift on E2M3 near the start - can you enter it? I recently
worked out how to legimately score the 4th secret on E4M5. It is shame that
the RotFish counting bug is still present and other minor level flaws.

Architectually levels like Tim Willits E3M5 - Wind Tunnels are stunning.
Romero's E2M4 ("Ebon Fortress"), E2M5 ("Wizards Manse") and E2M6 ("Dismal
Ouiblette") are architectually good as well. Imaginative use of 3D.

And Rogue's levels are in a class of their own. I was awed by the boats on
R1M1.
"Curse of Osiris", R2M4 was a incredible level, absolutely huge - detail
like the boat was amazing.

Yup - fond memories of Quake.

SH

On Wed, 4 May 2005 02:16:56 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
<sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:

>> We were speaking to the thrill of some of the original Quake, also called
>> QuakeC or Quake Classic.
>
>Good game. Played it on "Nightmare mode" (unlike Doom, Nightmare is
>playable - the Shamblers go absolutely crazy and Grunts & Enforcers fire 3
>times a second. But they stay dead) a few times.

Nightmare difficulty isn't really different from Hard difficulty. It just
increases the monster firing rate, which doesn't affect players that know
how to kill Quake monsters normally.

What would be a "true" Nightmare mode:
- Soldiers and enforcers firing at maximum rate.
- Ogres launching grenades that inflict the same amount of damage as the
player's grenades.
- Shambler using the lightning attack that does the same damage as
Thunderbolt.
- The lava pit boss having it's projectile speed increased (or having
multiple projectiles).
- The final boss actually having an attack.

>I still have questions on this game - like what causes the 4 scrags
>(wizards) on E2M5 near the Quad Damage in the acid to activate?

I think it's a bug that they don't activate, but this isn't reflected in
the Quake Info Pool:
http://www.inside3d.com/qip/q1/bugsmap.htm#Maps

>And the ogre near the silver key door on E1M3 - never activates?

Approach the door first, kill the monsters and attempt to open the door.
Once done, proceed through the mission as normal. (I siscovered the
workaround, when trying to figure out how to get the last opponent.)

>And a spore on E4M5 - never activates?

Haven't heard of this problem.

>And a hidden lift on E2M3 near the start - can you enter it?

I haven't seen the lift, but there is a "pseudo-secret" at the beginning.
You first go up the lift, advance through the arch, and return to start.

>It is shame that
>the RotFish counting bug is still present and other minor level flaws.

Actually, there are Quake-C patches easily available. In fact, you could
probably find the SDK, download the necessairy compilation tools, and make
the fix yourself... or have a friend do it for you. (It's not too
difficult to repair, it just involves removing a line.)

Thanks for the response

You have wetted my curosity with that link :)
Does it work out that much of Quake is scripted?
Is that how many fixes are provided (by changing the script?)
I have never really explored how Quake 1 "works".

> What would be a "true" Nightmare mode:
> - Soldiers and enforcers firing at maximum rate.
> - Ogres launching grenades that inflict the same amount of damage as the
> player's grenades.
> - Shambler using the lightning attack that does the same damage as
> Thunderbolt.
> - The lava pit boss having it's projectile speed increased (or having
> multiple projectiles).
> - The final boss actually having an attack.

Yes, that would be nightmare :)

>>And a spore on E4M5 - never activates?
>
> Haven't heard of this problem.

Around the central pool of acid there are 4 sections (some sections bigger
than another).
Effectively rather like a huge-cross (use Notepad to copy-and- paste)
Now, near the centre pool, diagonally between sections, there is a
rectangular black box and a spore inside it.
Nothing ever seems to activate it.

+---+
| |
+---+ +---+
| |
| |
+---+ +---+
| |
| |
+---+

> I haven't seen the lift, but there is a "pseudo-secret" at the beginning.
> You first go up the lift, advance through the arch, and return to start.

Yes seen that. There is Nail ammo within.
It only opens up once you leave the start area.

>>And a hidden lift on E2M3 near the start - can you enter it?
Further notes: This is after going over the bridge across water from the
start and at that point you can turn left/right along the walkway. But
literally staight ahead, not turning left/right though solid wall is an
active lift - but unreachable I think.

I have also discovered other hidden (again I think unreachable) areas on:
E3M1 (a passageway connecting exit with platform over acid where Quad damage
is openly available)
also (another passageway near where silver key is located)
HIP1M1 (what looks like a design closeouts near start)
Catacombs (passage linking initial catacombs with castle)
HIP1M6 (a passageway and lift near hammer)

> Actually, there are Quake-C patches easily available. In fact, you could
> probably find the SDK, download the necessairy compilation tools, and make
> the fix yourself...

You are right. I could certainly do this. But this is brand new to me.
Do you know of any URL just to get up to speed on this?
I never understood the relationship between "Quake-C" and "Quake"

Stephen Howe

> Thanks for the response
>
> You have wetted my curosity with that link :)
> Does it work out that much of Quake is scripted?
> Is that how many fixes are provided (by changing the script?)
> I have never really explored how Quake 1 "works".
>
>> What would be a "true" Nightmare mode:
>> - Soldiers and enforcers firing at maximum rate.
>> - Ogres launching grenades that inflict the same amount of damage as
>> the player's grenades.
>> - Shambler using the lightning attack that does the same damage as
>> Thunderbolt.
>> - The lava pit boss having it's projectile speed increased (or having
>> multiple projectiles).
>> - The final boss actually having an attack.
>
> Yes, that would be nightmare :)
>
>>> And a spore on E4M5 - never activates?
>>
>> Haven't heard of this problem.
>
> Around the central pool of acid there are 4 sections (some sections
> bigger than another).
> Effectively rather like a huge-cross (use Notepad to copy-and- paste)
> Now, near the centre pool, diagonally between sections, there is a
> rectangular black box and a spore inside it.
> Nothing ever seems to activate it.
>

> +---+
> | |
> +---+ +---+
>> |

> +---+ +---+
> | |
> | |
> +---+
>

>> I haven't seen the lift, but there is a "pseudo-secret" at the
>> beginning. You first go up the lift, advance through the arch, and
>> return to start.
>
> Yes seen that. There is Nail ammo within.
> It only opens up once you leave the start area.
>
>>> And a hidden lift on E2M3 near the start - can you enter it?
> Further notes: This is after going over the bridge across water from
> the start and at that point you can turn left/right along the
> walkway. But literally staight ahead, not turning left/right though
> solid wall is an active lift - but unreachable I think.
>
> I have also discovered other hidden (again I think unreachable) areas
> on: E3M1 (a passageway connecting exit with platform over acid where
> Quad damage is openly available)
> also (another passageway near where silver key is located)
> HIP1M1 (what looks like a design closeouts near start)
> Catacombs (passage linking initial catacombs with castle)
> HIP1M6 (a passageway and lift near hammer)
>
>> Actually, there are Quake-C patches easily available. In fact, you
>> could probably find the SDK, download the necessairy compilation
>> tools, and make the fix yourself...
>
> You are right. I could certainly do this. But this is brand new to me.
> Do you know of any URL just to get up to speed on this?
> I never understood the relationship between "Quake-C" and "Quake"
>
> Stephen Howe

Quake is a)written in Quake-C and b) often called QuakeC for Quake
Classic.
Yep, it's a lot of scripting. The .PAK files are actually ZIP files,
just tell Winzip or WinRAR to add that extention to ZIP format. You
can unpack the files to their folders *IN THE ROOT* folder of a drive,
then rezip them when things are fixed. I haven't spent any time with
QuakeC stuff like that, or Quake 2, but have messed around with a lot of
stuff with the models in Q3A.
Now I just want to get Quake running on this rig...grrr!
McG.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:41:51 GMT, "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com>
wrote:

>Yep, it's a lot of scripting. The .PAK files are actually ZIP files,
>just tell Winzip or WinRAR to add that extention to ZIP format.

Not quite - the .PAK files are a varient of the Doom Wad file, where the
data files are stored uncompressed. But any modern file management utility
shouldn't have trouble with standard game compression systems.

The only thing special you have to do when doing a mod is to store files in
their own directory, and using the "-game folder" command line option.

>Now I just want to get Quake running on this rig...grrr!

I heard Tenebrae (or whatever it's spelling is) gives a higher-quality
rendering of Quake scenes... That will get anyone to play Quake to see the
revamped engine. :)

> Quake is a)written in Quake-C and b) often called QuakeC for Quake
> Classic.
> Yep, it's a lot of scripting. The .PAK files are actually ZIP files, just
> tell Winzip or WinRAR to add that extention to ZIP format.

I think I saw that for the first time ever about 2 months ago.
One of the guys at the Quake Level competion sites told me (Nolan Plug).
Time to investigate.

Cheers

SH

On Thu, 5 May 2005 02:36:56 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
<sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:

snip
>Quake for DOS does not start properly

unsurprising, xp contains no dos.

>(I can probably try and get it work with XP by either playing around with
>XP's compatability options and/or browsing Quake web sites online to see if
>anyone has already done this and what Windows XP "gotchas" need addressing.
>But why bother? If WinQuake works why use the DOS version?).
>I know for certain if I ran Windows 95, both versions will work.
>XP is not as compatible as Micosoft claims.

i only ever got compatibility mode working once for one game - stars!

>I have not got GLQuake to work. I figured out that the DLL that ID Software
>supply is too old, and to use the version that comes with this video card
>but then I hit more problems. I gave up on this.
>GLQuake, AFAIK, was the first version to have transparent water (as well as
>transparent lava - looked very strange - glowing red holes - who normally
>sees through stone?) and also shadows.
>There was a bug with shadows in that they projected onto abysses's (and
>shadows dont normally do that). It would have been fun to get this going.

glquake version 1.13a. its unofficial [fan-made] but designed for
modern hardware.

>VQuake I manged to run under Windows 95 but the palette was unbelievably
>dark.
>Shaggy in one the Quake newsgroup pointed at palette tools where you can
>edit and resave the PAK but again I did not see the point.
>
>Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity are so old that I had
>problems installing.
>Scourge complained about having -12Gb on the hard disk (those were the days
>when no partition exceeded 2Gb), did I want to continue?
>Blow me after about 5 error messages, it installed and worked.
>That is what I like, strong installation, where customer knows best :)
>
>Dissolution just did not install, period. Installation barfed. I coped the
>files manually on, set up a CFG, and yes, no problem it worked.
>
>So I am using WinQuake 1.09 to play no problem. 1280x1024 resolution.
>No complaints.

i'm using telejano director's cut version 0.8 which works perfectly
and is recommended for use with the addons & mods, in particular,
malice [my fave].
i previously used telejano v0.72 which contains its own replacement
models.
i also play at 1280x1024 which must be set at commandline like
glquake.

>> I recall that if you DO it right, you can get the rotfish count right.
>
>Only by doctoring the PAK files, surely? :)
>
>> In Elder Gods Shrine you can get too many Fiends right at the beginning
>> :) I think it ends up ALL the fiend count from the level will drop for you
>> there, yet also respawn in their norm triggers.
>
>I know what you mean :). 7 Fiends teleporting in every 30 seconds near that
>square pillar with the yellow-and-red mural.
>I have never had a problem with the level. All 105 enemies killed.
>Good level.
>
>> Palace of Hate :)

no-one's mentioned ziggurat vertigo, always a fave of mine.

snip

dr ratt

gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.

>>Quake for DOS does not start properly
>
> unsurprising, xp contains no dos.

Not strictly true.
NT 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP : the 100% 32-bit versions
of Windows have these things called subsystems.
The subsystems allow different types of executable to run under Windows.

NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 has 5 subsystems
Windows XP has 4 subsystems.

Remember IBM?
It produced an operating system, which can still be bought, called OS/2.
Originally this was 16-bit but IBM bought out a version that was 32-bit.
And back in 1989, you could use Microsoft C 6.0 to build 16-bit OS/2
executables.
And you can still produce 16-bit OS/2 executables, to this day, using
OpenWatcom.
They have a completely different format to 32-bit Windows executable.
So why am I mentioning this?

Well, as an experiment, if you tried running the 16-bit OS/2 executable from
the command line of Windows 2000, it will run.
An executable format that is 16 years old, effectively obsolete, still runs
under Windows 2000 (but not XP - Microsoft removed support for OS/2
subsystem in XP).
What a surprise.

Question: What are the sub-systems for 32-bit Windows?

POSIX Subsystem - capable of running POSIX.1 apps
Win32 Subsystem - runs 32-bit Windows apps
Win16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit Windows apps (that is Windows 3.0, 3.1 native
apps from 1990-1994)
DOS16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit DOS apps (and that means DOOM and Quake) in
Virtual DOS Machine
OS/216 Subsystem - runs 16-bit OS/2 1.x character-mode apps

If you look for the following files in Windows System directory

NTIO.SYS - The equivalent of IO.SYS on MS-DOS machines.
NTDOS.SYS - The equivalent of MSDOS.SYS.
NTVDM.EXE - Win32 Application.
NTVDM.DLL or NTVDMD.DLL - Win32 Application.
REDIR.EXE - Virtual Device Driver (VDD) redirector for the VDM.

They make up the DOS subsystem.
And if you run Doom or Quake for DOS, it will be NTVDM.EXE that shows up in
Task Manager.
Now how well it runs DOS programs is another matter :)

> no-one's mentioned ziggurat vertigo, always a fave of mine.

Good level. I like the low gravity. Unusual.
And the novel idea of swimming through lava to reach a secret.
A lot of shamblers on that level.
I should think it is a reasonable DM level as well.

Stephen Howe

On Fri, 6 May 2005 00:16:20 +0100, "Stephen Howe"
<sjhoweATdialDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote:

>>>Quake for DOS does not start properly
>>
>> unsurprising, xp contains no dos.
>
>Not strictly true.
>NT 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP : the 100% 32-bit versions
>of Windows have these things called subsystems.
>The subsystems allow different types of executable to run under Windows.
>
>NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 has 5 subsystems
>Windows XP has 4 subsystems.
>
>Remember IBM?
>It produced an operating system, which can still be bought, called OS/2.
>Originally this was 16-bit but IBM bought out a version that was 32-bit.
>And back in 1989, you could use Microsoft C 6.0 to build 16-bit OS/2
>executables.
>And you can still produce 16-bit OS/2 executables, to this day, using
>OpenWatcom.
>They have a completely different format to 32-bit Windows executable.
>So why am I mentioning this?
>
>Well, as an experiment, if you tried running the 16-bit OS/2 executable from
>the command line of Windows 2000, it will run.
>An executable format that is 16 years old, effectively obsolete, still runs
>under Windows 2000 (but not XP - Microsoft removed support for OS/2
>subsystem in XP).
>What a surprise.
>
>Question: What are the sub-systems for 32-bit Windows?
>
>POSIX Subsystem - capable of running POSIX.1 apps
>Win32 Subsystem - runs 32-bit Windows apps
>Win16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit Windows apps (that is Windows 3.0, 3.1 native
>apps from 1990-1994)
>DOS16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit DOS apps (and that means DOOM and Quake) in
>Virtual DOS Machine
>OS/216 Subsystem - runs 16-bit OS/2 1.x character-mode apps
>
>If you look for the following files in Windows System directory
>
>NTIO.SYS - The equivalent of IO.SYS on MS-DOS machines.
>NTDOS.SYS - The equivalent of MSDOS.SYS.
>NTVDM.EXE - Win32 Application.
>NTVDM.DLL or NTVDMD.DLL - Win32 Application.
>REDIR.EXE - Virtual Device Driver (VDD) redirector for the VDM.
>
>They make up the DOS subsystem.
>And if you run Doom or Quake for DOS, it will be NTVDM.EXE that shows up in
>Task Manager.
>Now how well it runs DOS programs is another matter :)

snippy snip

i sit corrected.

>>> unsurprising, xp contains no dos.
>>
>> Not strictly true.
>> NT 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP : the 100% 32-bit
>> versions of Windows have these things called subsystems.
>> The subsystems allow different types of executable to run under
>> Windows.
>>
>> NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 has 5 subsystems
>> Windows XP has 4 subsystems.
>>
>> Remember IBM?
>> It produced an operating system, which can still be bought, called
>> OS/2. Originally this was 16-bit but IBM bought out a version that
>> was 32-bit. And back in 1989, you could use Microsoft C 6.0 to build
>> 16-bit OS/2 executables.
>> And you can still produce 16-bit OS/2 executables, to this day, using
>> OpenWatcom.
>> They have a completely different format to 32-bit Windows executable.
>> So why am I mentioning this?
>>
>> Well, as an experiment, if you tried running the 16-bit OS/2
>> executable from the command line of Windows 2000, it will run.
>> An executable format that is 16 years old, effectively obsolete,
>> still runs under Windows 2000 (but not XP - Microsoft removed
>> support for OS/2 subsystem in XP).
>> What a surprise.
>>
>> Question: What are the sub-systems for 32-bit Windows?
>>
>> POSIX Subsystem - capable of running POSIX.1 apps
>> Win32 Subsystem - runs 32-bit Windows apps
>> Win16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit Windows apps (that is Windows 3.0, 3.1
>> native apps from 1990-1994)
>> DOS16 Subsystem - runs 16-bit DOS apps (and that means DOOM and
>> Quake) in Virtual DOS Machine
>> OS/216 Subsystem - runs 16-bit OS/2 1.x character-mode apps
>>
>> If you look for the following files in Windows System directory
>>
>> NTIO.SYS - The equivalent of IO.SYS on MS-DOS machines.
>> NTDOS.SYS - The equivalent of MSDOS.SYS.
>> NTVDM.EXE - Win32 Application.
>> NTVDM.DLL or NTVDMD.DLL - Win32 Application.
>> REDIR.EXE - Virtual Device Driver (VDD) redirector for the VDM.
>>
>> They make up the DOS subsystem.
>> And if you run Doom or Quake for DOS, it will be NTVDM.EXE that
>> shows up in Task Manager.
>> Now how well it runs DOS programs is another matter :)
>
> snippy snip
>
> i sit corrected.
>
> dr ratt

> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.

It's aaaIGHT now ;o) Fresh install of that gigantic whopping (350K?)
WinQuake 1.0 and I'm running "vanilla" graphics Quake again. Gotta see
if it's supposed to support opengl32.dll?
McG.

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:41:51 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Yep, it's a lot of scripting. The .PAK files are actually ZIP files,
>> just tell Winzip or WinRAR to add that extention to ZIP format.
>
> Not quite - the .PAK files are a varient of the Doom Wad file, where
> the data files are stored uncompressed. But any modern file
> management utility shouldn't have trouble with standard game
> compression systems.
>
> The only thing special you have to do when doing a mod is to store
> files in their own directory, and using the "-game folder" command
> line option.
>
>> Now I just want to get Quake running on this rig...grrr!
>
> I heard Tenebrae (or whatever it's spelling is) gives a higher-quality
> rendering of Quake scenes... That will get anyone to play Quake to
> see the revamped engine. :)

I have tenetrae somewhere, but just wanted the regular, well, WinQuake,
and it's running perfectly (if plain looking) now :)
McG.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:04:02 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>> Shaggy in one the Quake newsgroup pointed at palette tools where you
>> can edit and resave the PAK but again I did not see the point.
>
>Some of the 3D gurus had put together a lightened texture set that
>really helped a LOT in this problem. I forget where it originally came
>from.

IDgamma NT is what you need to sort out the the ermmm .....gamma
issues - can post it if you want. Glquake (and gl quakeworld client)
has always worked fine providing you delete the voodoo dll wrapper
files if you have anything other than a voodoo card. Again, I can post
if required.
If anyone fancies an old school QW requiem mod bash (hook among other
things), I can fire up the server at work!

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:04:02 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Shaggy in one the Quake newsgroup pointed at palette tools where you
>>> can edit and resave the PAK but again I did not see the point.
>>
>> Some of the 3D gurus had put together a lightened texture set that
>> really helped a LOT in this problem. I forget where it originally
>> came from.
>
> IDgamma NT is what you need to sort out the the ermmm .....gamma
> issues - can post it if you want. Glquake (and gl quakeworld client)
> has always worked fine providing you delete the voodoo dll wrapper
> files if you have anything other than a voodoo card. Again, I can post
> if required.
> If anyone fancies an old school QW requiem mod bash (hook among other
> things), I can fire up the server at work!

Hey that sounds good to me! hook and CTF? I've got my SP game going
great, and managed a little outing thru GameSpy last week. It's cruzin
:)
McG.