DOOM 3 PC vs. XBox

My apologies if this question is addressed in a FAQ somewhere -- I have
not been able to find it.

Prior to the release of DOOM 3 for the PC, I can recall having read a
FAQ about the XBox version of the game. Paraphrasing, it said something
to the effect that the Xbox version would strive to provide the same
game experience as the PC version, even if optimizations would have to
be made to make it run on the Xbox. Unfortunately I cannot find that
source now.

Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail version
as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message
> My apologies if this question is addressed in a FAQ somewhere -- I have
> not been able to find it.
>
> Prior to the release of DOOM 3 for the PC, I can recall having read a FAQ
> about the XBox version of the game. Paraphrasing, it said something to
> the effect that the Xbox version would strive to provide the same game
> experience as the PC version, even if optimizations would have to be made
> to make it run on the Xbox. Unfortunately I cannot find that source now.
>
> Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
> version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
> design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail version
> as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?

The X-Box levels have been shortened compared to the PC version. Memory
constraints I guess. The basic gameplay and "feel" is very much the same but
it doesn't look as good as the PC version (on a high end system that is).
The main advantage of the X-Box version is co-op but there are PC mods that
already let you do that on the PC so even that advantage is gone.

- Cryo

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message
> My apologies if this question is addressed in a FAQ somewhere -- I have
> not been able to find it.
>
> Prior to the release of DOOM 3 for the PC, I can recall having read a FAQ
> about the XBox version of the game. Paraphrasing, it said something to
> the effect that the Xbox version would strive to provide the same game
> experience as the PC version, even if optimizations would have to be made
> to make it run on the Xbox. Unfortunately I cannot find that source now.
>
> Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
> version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
> design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail version
> as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?

Yes, it is significantly dumbed down.
Considering XBox hardware it is an awesome translation!
I am very suprised ID did as good as they did but it is not the PC version.

I don't know, I think the advantage of playing on a huge TV and in 5.1
without having to move your PC to another room is a good advantage.

I have both the PC version and the X-Box version and play them under
different circumstances. If a few friends are over, it's X-BOX all the way.
We use the PC's to network up if it's just one or two guys over.

"Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I don't know, I think the advantage of playing on a huge TV and in 5.1
>without having to move your PC to another room is a good advantage.
>
> I have both the PC version and the X-Box version and play them under
> different circumstances. If a few friends are over, it's X-BOX all the
> way. We use the PC's to network up if it's just one or two guys over.

I am on my 110" while I am typing this.
Doesn't your T.V. have a DVI or HDMI input on it?

Yes, it does... I use the DVI when using the PC on the 70" Sony LCD. It
looks stunning... but for ease of use... the X-Box wins all the way.

"Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message

> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>I don't know, I think the advantage of playing on a huge TV and in 5.1
>>without having to move your PC to another room is a good advantage.
>>
>> I have both the PC version and the X-Box version and play them under
>> different circumstances. If a few friends are over, it's X-BOX all the
>> way. We use the PC's to network up if it's just one or two guys over.
>
> I am on my 110" while I am typing this.
> Doesn't your T.V. have a DVI or HDMI input on it?

> > Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
> > version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
> > design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail version
> > as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?
>
> The X-Box levels have been shortened compared to the PC version. Memory
> constraints I guess. The basic gameplay and "feel" is very much the same but
> it doesn't look as good as the PC version (on a high end system that is).
> The main advantage of the X-Box version is co-op but there are PC mods that
> already let you do that on the PC so even that advantage is gone.
>
> - Cryo

Well....kinda...you've got to remember that they actually redid a lot of stuff
for the co-op mode in the Xbox version. They recorded new speach, so the NPC's
are actually talking to both of you, some of the level objectives have been cut
and/or simplified, etc. Now, granted, the co-op mod on the PC is nice...but
having an actual co-op mode made just for two people is nicer. :)

Bel

--

Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

"Now what's your momma gonna say about this?"
- Marcus Hill, Narc

"BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> > Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
>> > version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
>> > design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail
>> > version
>> > as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?
>>
>> The X-Box levels have been shortened compared to the PC version. Memory
>> constraints I guess. The basic gameplay and "feel" is very much the same
>> but
>> it doesn't look as good as the PC version (on a high end system that
>> is).
>> The main advantage of the X-Box version is co-op but there are PC mods
>> that
>> already let you do that on the PC so even that advantage is gone.
>>
>> - Cryo
>
> Well....kinda...you've got to remember that they actually redid a lot of
> stuff
> for the co-op mode in the Xbox version. They recorded new speach, so the
> NPC's
> are actually talking to both of you, some of the level objectives have
> been cut
> and/or simplified, etc. Now, granted, the co-op mod on the PC is
> nice...but
> having an actual co-op mode made just for two people is nicer. :)

That's true. That is much more fun than playing Halo Co-op and having every
cut-scene pretend like you're one guy :)

- Cryo

Exactly. I think both version compliment each other. I'm glad I own them
both... 3 X-Box versions and 2 PC versions for network play.

"BelPowerslave" <belpowerslave@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> > Jump to present when I have played the PC demo, and a bit of the Xbox
>> > version of Doom 3. The Xbox version has significantly simplified level
>> > design in comparison to the demo. Is this true of the PC retail
>> > version
>> > as well, or has the Xbox version been dumbed down?
>>
>> The X-Box levels have been shortened compared to the PC version. Memory
>> constraints I guess. The basic gameplay and "feel" is very much the same
>> but
>> it doesn't look as good as the PC version (on a high end system that
>> is).
>> The main advantage of the X-Box version is co-op but there are PC mods
>> that
>> already let you do that on the PC so even that advantage is gone.
>>
>> - Cryo
>
> Well....kinda...you've got to remember that they actually redid a lot of
> stuff
> for the co-op mode in the Xbox version. They recorded new speach, so the
> NPC's
> are actually talking to both of you, some of the level objectives have
> been cut
> and/or simplified, etc. Now, granted, the co-op mod on the PC is
> nice...but
> having an actual co-op mode made just for two people is nicer. :)
>
> Bel
>
> --
>
> Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
>
> "Now what's your momma gonna say about this?"
> - Marcus Hill, Narc

theone

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>I don't know, I think the advantage of playing on a huge TV and in 5.1
>>without having to move your PC to another room is a good advantage.
>>
>>I have both the PC version and the X-Box version and play them under
>>different circumstances. If a few friends are over, it's X-BOX all the
>>way. We use the PC's to network up if it's just one or two guys over.
>

> I am on my 110" while I am typing this.
> Doesn't your T.V. have a DVI or HDMI input on it?

omit the 0 right jerky :). Does your tv have the bat connection too?

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Boody Bandit wrote:
>> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I don't know, I think the advantage of playing on a huge TV and in 5.1
>>>without having to move your PC to another room is a good advantage.
>>>
>>>I have both the PC version and the X-Box version and play them under
>>>different circumstances. If a few friends are over, it's X-BOX all the
>>>way. We use the PC's to network up if it's just one or two guys over.
>>

>> I am on my 110" while I am typing this.
>> Doesn't your T.V. have a DVI or HDMI input on it?
> omit the 0 right jerky :). Does your tv have the bat connection too?

My setup has everything but a sexy woman to give yah some while I am jamming
on some games.
Oh wait a second, I have that too!

theone

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Boody Bandit wrote:
>>
>>>"Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>>I am on my 110" while I am typing this.
>>>Doesn't your T.V. have a DVI or HDMI input on it?
>>
>>omit the 0 right jerky :). Does your tv have the bat connection too?
>

> My setup has everything but a sexy woman to give yah some while I am jamming
> on some games.
> Oh wait a second, I have that too!

I think you need some lasik surgery. By the way, sisters and sisters'
friends don't count corn pone.