[DoomRL]YAFVP

I'm a little charged right now, this is the first time I've ever won a
roguelike. Yay me!

Didn't encounter too much trouble, made sure to keep myself medicated.
Getting invincibility globes and detonating rockets against barrels at
point blank was a fun diversion.

I realized that I would have to face the CD without any protection, my
last red suit having been completely destroyed mere steps before an
armour shard on the level before.

When I finally did get there I proceeded to overload the BFG on my
first shot rather than use up some of my energy cells. The excitment
got to me, I guess. >_<

Anyway, after an overzealous begining, I concentrated on rockets. Kept
knocking him out of my field of vision, which gave me time to load the
next rocket. Wash, rinse, repeat. One dead Cyberdemon.

DoomRL (v.0.9.7 (WIN)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Jericho, level 5 soldier, defeated the Cyberdeamon
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 90446 turns and scored 23432 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He stormed the Chained Court.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He fought on Hell's Arena.
He faced The Wall.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 37/60 Experience 17384/5
ToHit +0 ToDmg Ranged +2 ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman (Level 1)
Hellrunner (Level 1)
Tough as nails (Level 1)
Son of a bitch (Level 2)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] nothing
[ Weapon ] rocket launcher (4d4) [0/1]
[c] [ Boots ] plasteel boots [8/8] (89%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] double shotgun (6d3)x2 [0/2]
chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
[c] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [40/40]
[d] 10mm ammo (x24)
[e] shotgun shell (x26)
[f] shotgun shell (x50)
[g] shotgun shell (x50)
[h] rocket (x2)
rocket (x10)
[j] power cell (x50)
[k] power cell (x2)
[l] phase device
[m] phase device
[n] phase device
[o] thermonuclear bomb
[p] large med-pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

41 former humans
40 former human sergeants
13 former human captains
19 imps
35 demons
21 lost souls
14 cacodemons
11 barons of hell
1 Cyberdemon
6 hell knights
4 arachnotrons
12 former human commanders

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 2 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
2 of those were killed.

I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
next version.

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Mithel .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
> next version.

Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:23:06 +0100, Loonie wrote:

> Mithel .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
>> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
>> next version.
>
> Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).

And that, in turn, forces the players to look for other games! Googling,
they will find Adom and *bands and Nethack and maybe Crawl... a program
for spreading the addiction! :D

Really, I have to get some of my friends to try this. It just might
work.

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

J.M. Joensuu .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
>>> next version.
>> Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).
>
> And that, in turn, forces the players to look for other games! Googling,
> they will find Adom and *bands and Nethack and maybe Crawl... a program
> for spreading the addiction! :D
>
> Really, I have to get some of my friends to try this. It just might
> work.

It may fail however, they may find some games not in ASCII mode!

--
Loonie ;)
---------------------------------------

J.M. Joensuu wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:23:06 +0100, Loonie wrote:
>
>>Mithel .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>>

>>>I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
>>>next version.
>>
>>Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).
>
> And that, in turn, forces the players to look for other games! Googling,
> they will find Adom and *bands and Nethack and maybe Crawl... a program
> for spreading the addiction! :D

That's how I got to Roguelikes. I started with the Ultimas on a C64, got
introduced to random dungeons by Castle of the Winds (Win 3.1), started
with Nethack (compiles on anything that runs an ansi-c compiler)when my
only available machine was an IRIX-running SGI, turnd to crawl after I
got my Linux notebook running. So it took me decades to finally get
here. A few of my students went straight into crawl (I must have set a
bad example).

Lars

Mithel wrote:
> I'm a little charged right now, this is the first time I've ever won a
> roguelike. Yay me!

It isn't a hard one y'know ;-)

> Didn't encounter too much trouble, made sure to keep myself medicated.
> Getting invincibility globes and detonating rockets against barrels at
> point blank was a fun diversion.

LOL ;-).

> I realized that I would have to face the CD without any protection, my
> last red suit having been completely destroyed mere steps before an
> armour shard on the level before.

Ouch. Sometimes the RNG is just cruel ;-).

> When I finally did get there I proceeded to overload the BFG on my
> first shot rather than use up some of my energy cells. The excitment
> got to me, I guess. >_<

Kheh ;-). 20 points more damage must be worth something ;-). I'll increase
that bonus for the next version maybe.

> Anyway, after an overzealous begining, I concentrated on rockets. Kept
> knocking him out of my field of vision, which gave me time to load the
> next rocket. Wash, rinse, repeat. One dead Cyberdemon.

Duh, he's one easy guy in this version :-(.

> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
> next version.

It will be... a *sick* version I'd say ;-D.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

Loonie wrote:
> Mithel .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
>> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
>> next version.
>
> Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).

:-(. Will try to work on this. Any ideas?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch of
text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> I love this game, and it is with great anticipation that I await the
>>> next version.
>> Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).
>
> :-(. Will try to work on this. Any ideas?

Make the map more random, make monsters react to sound, increase monsters
AI and bloodthirstiness (nice word :). I would try the simple
implementation - when monster sees character:
- it shoots the character (preferably),
- shoots a barrel close to character to make it explode,
- scream to warn and gather other monsters
- runs towards character or last known position of character if the other
actions are impossible or less profitable (and also when it have heard
something suspicious, like screeching of moved barrels).

Then the game would be much more challenging and Doomy (don't confuse with
dummy ;) especially if monsters would always choose the optimal solution.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.webpark.pl

Quoting Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl>:
[Various AI improvements]
>Then the game would be much more challenging and Doomy (don't confuse with
>dummy ;) especially if monsters would always choose the optimal solution.

But monsters in Doom do few of these things; they are very stupid. About
the only thing they have besides "head to player and attack" is some
minimal pathfinding.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Gloucesterday, March.

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

David Damerell .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> [Various AI improvements]
>>Then the game would be much more challenging and Doomy (don't confuse with
>>dummy ;) especially if monsters would always choose the optimal solution.
>
> But monsters in Doom do few of these things; they are very stupid. About
> the only thing they have besides "head to player and attack" is some
> minimal pathfinding.

The only thing that needs little thinking is barrels shooting, anyway it's
not very intelligent behavior. Would make game more interesting , even if
not in accord with original doom. Please note that I don't suggest running
away when damaged or when they have no chance in fight. ;)

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> Which indirectly means that the game lacks replayability ;).
>>
>> :-(. Will try to work on this. Any ideas?
>
> Make the map more random,

That is?
I think the new level-type is a good step in that direction.

> make monsters react to sound,

Yeah, a ToDo item ;-).

> increase
> monsters AI and bloodthirstiness (nice word :).

As above ;-)

> Then the game would be much more challenging and Doomy (don't confuse
> with dummy ;) especially if monsters would always choose the optimal
> solution.

True ;-). But would that affect replay value?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
Anathiel about GenRogue

Loonie wrote:
> David Damerell .-- .-. --- - . ---...
> The only thing that needs little thinking is barrels shooting, anyway
> it's not very intelligent behavior. Would make game more interesting
> , even if not in accord with original doom. Please note that I don't
> suggest running away when damaged or when they have no chance in
> fight. ;)

That should make them run away all the time *evil grin* ;-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
Anathiel about GenRogue

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> :-(. Will try to work on this. Any ideas?
>> Make the map more random,
> That is?
> I think the new level-type is a good step in that direction.

I have played only a little the newest version, so could you explain what
have changed exactly?

>> Then the game would be much more challenging and Doomy (don't confuse
>> with dummy ;) especially if monsters would always choose the optimal
>> solution.
> True ;-). But would that affect replay value?

Finally player say: ok, I think I've seen everything this game offers, I've
beaten Cyberdemon, let's try something else.

So one way to increase replayability is to add plot, NPC, items, monsters,
locations. Some games have almost all the world explored in one game, but
due to choices the player have to change character they are still
interesting (say: Fallout, the world is the same, but the character could
be developed in thousand ways).
Say in DoomRL he can choose:
- traits,
- a set of weaponry from what he have found
- to go or not to special levels

Another way (classic and specific to roguelikes) is to increase difficulty
so beating the game is really hard. This is not the case in DoomRL which is
beaten in 3-5 tries.

I think that simply changing monster behavior to attack player at any
occasion and react to sound (simple approach - radius, complex approach -
probability proportional to intensity of sound: inverse proportional to
squared distance, different weapons make different amount of sound) will
wipe out the smile on many players faces and if I were you I'd do it first,
(I'm a mean guy) ;>

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>> Make the map more random,
>> That is?
>> I think the new level-type is a good step in that direction.
>
> I have played only a little the newest version, so could you explain
> what have changed exactly?

You would have to see it ;-). Anyway I recommend you play the new version
more, cause IMHO it does play different from the ones before (mainly due to
the shotgun/dodge/traits).