Question Double displays from a USB-C hub?

denzovirus

Reputable
Jan 7, 2020
I've done some prior research and can't find a definitive answer. I have a laptop hooked up to a USB-C hub outputting to a 1080p 60hz monitor. I'd like to purchase a second monitor which would ideally be 1440p 144hz. From what I've seen, this isn't possible as most hubs are locked to 60hz. Some other forums seem to say that a hub with 8k30hz would allow the 144hz monitor to operate at full capacity, but would adding the 1080p panel be too much bandwidth? I thought I'd run these two off of some cheap Amazon hub with two HDMI ports but now I'm leaning more to DisplayPort, at least for the better panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
I've done some prior research and can't find a definitive answer. I have a laptop hooked up to a USB-C hub outputting to a 1080p 60hz monitor. I'd like to purchase a second monitor which would ideally be 1440p 144hz. From what I've seen, this isn't possible as most hubs are locked to 60hz. Some other forums seem to say that a hub with 8k30hz would allow the 144hz monitor to operate at full capacity, but would adding the 1080p panel be too much bandwidth? I thought I'd run these two off of some cheap Amazon hub with two HDMI ports but now I'm leaning more to DisplayPort, at least for the better panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I spent an excessive amount of time trying to figure a similar issue out. One thing to note is that the USB controller on the hub can take up necessary bandwidth, affecting the total capable display output (USB 3 takes up more bandwidth than USB 2). For that reason I've seen people recommend older hubs with USB 2.0 so they can output at a better resolution. You probably do not need to get that extreme, but hotaru.hino is correct that you need to check the particular hub's manual to see what it can output.