brutzza

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hi, I'm having a doubt when upgrading Win 7 Pro 64b to Win 10 Pro 64b version 1903. (I work in a company, have licenses, etc.). After that, I will update it to version 1909.
I have Win 7 installed in my computer and I have the installer of Windows 10 in my pendrive (I made it booteable with Rufus) and also I have the .iso in the computer, of course.
My idea is to select the option "update", instead of a clean installation of W10, in order to preserve my files (images, videos, documents, outlook's .pst files, configuration, lan's drives mapped in 'my computer', etc.).
Is it the same to run the W10.iso from W7 and upgrade it than connecting the pendrive, restart, boot from it and upgrade it from the pendrive? Or is there any difference?
Hope I explained myself well.
Priority: preserve files upgrading W7 to W10.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The Media Creation Tool should allow you to "upgrade" an existing system - and can create your own bootable USB too, Rufus really isn't needed.

Regardless, the "upgrade" needs to run from inside Windows - if you select "upgrade" after booting from external media, it will tell you to start from inside Windows anyway.

The upgrade tool should also bring you right up to the latest release, not 1903 that you have on the USB already.

NOTE while the upgrade should work without issue, do not assume everything will be preserved and ensure you have a backup of all data you cannot afford to lose. It's rare, but data does sometimes 'disappear' during the upgrade (although haven't heard reports for a long time now).

By the time you...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The Media Creation Tool should allow you to "upgrade" an existing system - and can create your own bootable USB too, Rufus really isn't needed.

Regardless, the "upgrade" needs to run from inside Windows - if you select "upgrade" after booting from external media, it will tell you to start from inside Windows anyway.

The upgrade tool should also bring you right up to the latest release, not 1903 that you have on the USB already.

NOTE while the upgrade should work without issue, do not assume everything will be preserved and ensure you have a backup of all data you cannot afford to lose. It's rare, but data does sometimes 'disappear' during the upgrade (although haven't heard reports for a long time now).

By the time you backup all your files/data, config files etc..... You'd probably just be better off to clean install your OS and reconfigure your mapped drives after the fact.

Just my $0.02

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Anupgrade is an upgrade... Doesn't matter where it comes from or how it starts If you boot from the pen drive, it will see the Win 7 OS and ask if you want to upgrade it.

Might be accurate now, but hasn't been in the past (in my experience anyway).
If yuo boot from a USB and select "upgrade", the installer will stop and tell you to start the upgrade from inside Windows. At least, that was the case from W10 launch through to about 6 months ago.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's a bigger concern here: that a full, clean install would wipe out your important files. If a full Windows install would cause you to lose your videos, documents, etc. then that tells me that you may have the far, far more urgent issue of not properly backing up your files. That's a much bigger deal than worrying about a Windows 10 upgrade.

brutzza

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016

By the time you backup all your files/data, config files etc..... You'd probably just be better off to clean install your OS and reconfigure your mapped drives after the fact.

Just my $0.02

Yes, I assumed what you said.
I will first back up my data before upgrading, just in case.
Thanks.