[SOLVED] Download speed slow on browsers compared to other programs and actual bandwidth.

TheStagGamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 17, 2016
Hi there.
I seem to have run into a problem where my downloads on browsers only download at a speed of 1.3MB/s. (Edge, Chrome, Chrome incogneto[With no extentions] + Firefox) Even when I download on steam at 5.8MB/s and on speedtest get around 50mbps.

The file-hosting website doesn't seem to be the problem, I've tried downloading from a few different websites.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Steam downloading| Edge downloading | Firefox downloading | Chrome downloading | Speedtest result

Solution
There is likely some software limiting this but it is hard to say exactly what. You could try to boot a linux image off a usb stick and then attempt a download using a browser. Mostly this is to prove it is software in your machine and not something like your router.

There are so called "gamer" network accelerators packaged with some motherboards. The worst offended is the killer chipset but asus and a couple others have intel based ones. The intel ones you just uninstall, the killer ones you must load a different driver with the killer features removed. This is purely a guess but other report very strange symptoms such as your from software like this.
There is likely some software limiting this but it is hard to say exactly what. You could try to boot a linux image off a usb stick and then attempt a download using a browser. Mostly this is to prove it is software in your machine and not something like your router.

There are so called "gamer" network accelerators packaged with some motherboards. The worst offended is the killer chipset but asus and a couple others have intel based ones. The intel ones you just uninstall, the killer ones you must load a different driver with the killer features removed. This is purely a guess but other report very strange symptoms such as your from software like this.

Solution

TheStagGamer

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 17, 2016

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get some other versions of my killer driver and see if that helps.