Question DPC watchdog violation, solutions don't seem to work.

Jul 31, 2023
Hello,
I posted several months ago about a ram issue I faced ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...f-6200mhz-on-new-build.3815455/#post-23065224 ) and thought it resolved.
I've since had more issues. I got a 4090 and seemingly, for over a month everything seemed to work fine and was able to replay Cyberpunk with raytracing.
Suddenly however, I am getting rapid and frequent DPC watchdog violations, sometimes I will freeze in the bios, sometimes as soon as I try to open a video on youtube.
It seems at any time if I have more than single ram stick in a2 the PC WILL have a problem. This is before and after a fresh installation of Windows 11 too. I have updated bios, gpu, sata ahci drivers, reverted them and so forth. sfc /scannow shows no issues. Nor do any of the standard google results.
So, I tried a new PSU, no change. I bought new ram with double the gigabytes and still face the same issue. Does this just leave the motherboard as the culprit? Is there any possibility of it being the cpu or gpu?
I appreciate any help. Please ask for any logs you may need to help assess.
I am currently using a ZOTAC GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity OC, i9-13900KF, a single Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 64gb 5200mhz of two for now, previously tried Corsair Dominator platinum DDR5 32gb 6200mhz. PSU is a 1000W Corsair HX1000, tried a ROG Loki 1000w that didn't worth either. Motherboard is a z690-f gaming wifi.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023
Have you tried removing your gpu and just using the cpu graphics to see if the problem persists?
Sorry about the late reply, just tried this. Zero display when I tried to use the cpu graphics. It seemed to boot, the fans slowed down but nothing appeared.

Jul 31, 2023
Any other suggestions? I've contacted Asus about the motherboard in hopes that it is the root problem.

What kind of cooler are you using? Have you tried backing off the screws on the cooling plate to ensure it is not bolted down too tightly? The only other troubleshooting idea would be to pull the cpu, check motherboard surface and cpu surface for debris, thermal paste, irregular looking gold surface/contact pins. If this turns out to find no problems then I would look at rma the motherboard.

Jul 31, 2023
While I was putting in the new PSU I did give the CPU a look over and fresh thermal paste and it seemingly looked fine. Cool is a DeepCool LS720, 3 120mm fans. I hadn't considered it being too tight to be an issue so I'll give it a shot. Short of that, I just have to hope that it is the motherboard and Asus respond soon.

Jul 31, 2023
Asus responded. They just said request a refund so I have. Bought an MSI MEG z690 Unify, its half price because of black Friday too.

Jul 31, 2023
Bought a MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY and seemingly, it was the Asus Rog Strix z690-f motherboard that was causing the issues.
I've ran multiple emulators and cyberpunk and had no crashes. Everythings idling at 1% with no spikes. Both ram sticks are detected and working too.