Question DRAM LED lights up while gaming / mining ?

Apr 30, 2022
Hi,
I've recently run into some issues with my PC.
My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: 5900x
GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 (Replaced the backplate for one from EK, and replaced the thermal pads. Memory temps do not surpass 76c).
MOBO: ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZN)
PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold

Whenever I am not using my PC I mine on it to get a little passive income (usually overnight). However, recently out of NOWHERE while gaming/mining my PC has been having the DRAM LED light up. This happens after about 5 minutes on Guild Wars 2, or while mining. (I do NOT game and mine at the same time). The PC completely freezes up. When this happens I can't shut the PC down with the button on the MOBO, and I can't shut it down using the front panel, I have to flip the switch on the PSU, which I don't like doing at all. The PC restarts just fine, I am not presented with the DRAM LED upon restarting, but eventually the same thing happens again if I game or mine.

I know this is very weird behavior because I've been gaming and mining using this PC for a very long time, and have never encountered this issue until now. I have been doing some troubleshooting, I have tried the following:

• Using another motherboard (MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK)
• Reseating the RAM
• Reseating the CPU (I have made sure not to over-tighten my AIO)
• Updating my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version
• Reseating my PSU cables
• Completely disassemble and reassemble the PC
• Turning off XMP (WHICH WORKS! - it fixes the issue, no more DRAM led, however, I cannot run my 5900x with 2133mhz clocked RAM. The system is way too unstable and feels horrible, everything lags and stutters because the FLCK is not in sync with the RAM speed).

Unfortunately I don't have any other RAM to swap out for me to test. Is it possible for RAM XMP profile to become unstable over-time? I have never tried any overclocking when it comes to my PC hardware, only underclocking to increases efficiency.
What do you think the issue could be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might be mining to grant you passive income but what it does behind the scenes is degrade the parts in your build faster than they would be considering that mining adds stress to components. Like all resources, they are finite so your prolonged exposure to mining might've worn the board out. Might want to see if you reflash the BIOS in hopes that it was a case of a corrupt BIOS.

For the sake of relevance please state the age of the PSU as well as the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. What BIOS version were you on prior to the issue cropping up? Lastly, what do you mine?

Apr 30, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might be mining to grant you passive income but what it does behind the scenes is degrade the parts in your build faster than they would be considering that mining adds stress to components. Like all resources, they are finite so your prolonged exposure to mining might've worn the board out. Might want to see if you reflash the BIOS in hopes that it was a case of a corrupt BIOS.

For the sake of relevance please state the age of the PSU as well as the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. What BIOS version were you on prior to the issue cropping up? Lastly, what do you mine?
Hi, Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. At the time of writing, my BIOS version is 4006 (2022/03/10) for the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, I believe I was on version 3801 (2021/08/12) when I first encountered the DRAM error. Updating the BIOS did not fix the issue. I purchased my PSU in November of 2020, and I mine Ethereum. My 5900x Idles around 30-35c depending on ambient room temp. I would also like to point out I do take very good care of my PC, I like to keep things minimalistic and I do frequent dusting of my gaming environment.

TRENDING THREADS