[SOLVED] DRAM light stays on for 1 second, quick CPU light flash, no POST, B150 motherboard

TheRealRqst

Commendable
Jun 24, 2017
I have recently built a PC with components I brought from Amazon, Ebay and Facebook Marketplace, and have come into an error relating to the DRAM and CPU lights. Specs are:

Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO Mini ITX
CPU: i7 6700
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence @ 2666mhz

Probably not relevant specs, but:

CPU Cooler: Intel stock cooler
PSU: Aerocool Integrator 500W, 80+ Bronze
Case: Thermaltake Core V1
Storage: 120gb PNY CS900 SSD & 2.5" WD 1TB HDD

When I turned the PC on for the first time, the DRAM light stays on for about 1 second, and then the CPU light quickly flashes and goes back to the DRAM light.
I have tried various things to diagnose this, taken out all front panel connectors and starting PC by making contact w/ a screwdriver (same light sequence), using different DDR4 RAM (same light sequence), unplugging the GPU power (same light sequence), unplugging the CPU power (just CPU light), taking out the RAM when starting (same light sequence), using different power cables (same light sequence) and resetting the BIOS w/ CMOS battery (unplugged for 30 mins w/ RAM unplugged and pressed the power button quite a lot to drain power. Fans start spinning, then stop about 1 second after, then straight back to same light flashing).

The fans on the GPU tend to go faster then slower ever so often when lights are flashing.

I haven't yet tried a new GPU, but I don't think it's a GPU issue because surely the lights wouldn't be flashing?, or using the integrated graphics (for the same reason as GPU), trying PC out of the case and trying a different GPU (even though it's again for the same reason, but I do have other GPU's).

I've been looking up on here, Linustechtips forum page, though the motherboards manual, Tom's Guide and other websites and think the issue lies with either the motherboard or the CPU, from what I have diagnosed and what other people have said.

I am thinking about buying a new motherboard to test if it's the CPU, but I'm also thinking about buying a different new CPU and returning it if that works with the motherboard, but am unsure which way to go which is where I would like help. Would also greatly appreciate any help that can be given without throwing more money at the issue, but if I have to, then I guess I have to.

This is the first Intel build I've done before, so am less aware of some issues that might happen and some common fixes that can be applied to potentially solve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading.

Solution
Problem solved for anyone that is looking into an issue like this in the future. Motherboard was broken, which is what I suspected. Brought a brand new one from Amazon, connected all the same components on that motherboard and worked first time.

A telltale sign I had was the fans spinning to max speed briefly whenever the computer would turn on with the old motherboard, which seemed like the computer trying to restart ever so often, and it kept doing this.

Hope this helps anyone reading this post, but it could also be a CPU issue.

TheRealRqst

Commendable
Jun 24, 2017
Problem solved for anyone that is looking into an issue like this in the future. Motherboard was broken, which is what I suspected. Brought a brand new one from Amazon, connected all the same components on that motherboard and worked first time.

A telltale sign I had was the fans spinning to max speed briefly whenever the computer would turn on with the old motherboard, which seemed like the computer trying to restart ever so often, and it kept doing this.

Hope this helps anyone reading this post, but it could also be a CPU issue.

Solution