Question Drivelock password option unabled in BIOS for SSD Samsung encryption

digitoforo

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Hello. I am trying to set a password on my SSD hard disk Samsung 860 EVO in my laptop HP Compaq 6710b. For that I enter to BIOS and the option for Drivelock passwords in the Security menu is unable(gray) and it can´t be setted. This way I can´t encrypt my disk with Samsung Magician with the drivelock method (Class 0). I think that the option for set a hard drive password must be compatible with my BIOS version because the option appears for be abled some way, but perhaps not... Anyone know how can I set this option in the BIOS?. I have owned and activated TPM, and installed HP Protect Tools software with Embedded Security addon.
Thanks.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I've worked with a lot of the samsung drives from the 830-newest, and have experienced similar issues. The software itself requires you to have a uefi bios for the encryption option to be available. Which I'm assuming a laptop from 2007 probably doesn't have since around then it was considered as a new technology that not everyone used yet.

I would honestly just use https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html It supports older hardware much better and it also has great security since it gets updated a decent amount for encryption software.

digitoforo

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Thank you for your early answer litaidd. I am thinking I can update the BIOS firmware and this way maybe I update to an UEFI BIOS.
Do you think is that possible or BIOS can´t be updated to UEFI by an update in my HP Compaq 6710b?.
Thank you very much.