Question driver_irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD suddenly and critical_process_died after removing wifi card for diagnosing.

Quinnfuzzball

Reputable
Jun 3, 2021
This issue happened suddenly overnight when I had left my PC on. It is plugged into a UPS. This is a new build. The parts are:
7800x3d
Asrock b650m pro rs wifi
XFX Speedster 7900xt (which I have been using in my old build for a few months. Works fine.)
TCREATE (Team Group) 2x16gb DDR5 6400 cl32
Thermal right frozen notte 360.
And a Corsair 1000watt (that I cant name exactly because I'm under my desk typing this.)

Anyways, woke up to my pc off, power did not go out for any reason as I have been told my family so the UPS would have kept it on. Something in the PC must have up and died or drivers caused a crash. Thats my best guess.

Currently I've tried:
Sfc scan
Chkdsk wouldn't work, unable to write/read only drive,
Ram check,
System restore. Had gone back to a previous point from the day before when ai had just hopped back on my pc for the first time since building/installing windows. (About to do a restore back to the first restore point available. Nothing special on this pc yet. fresh Windows install.)

Tried unplugging just about everything individually from the system:
Ram, swapped stick placement, removed and tested both individually.
Fans
front pannel
Sata drive
M.2 (not including the one with my windows install. I DID switch which slot it was plugged in.)
All usb and other devices like monitors
Reseated gpu (to get to m.2 and wifi card)

I also disabled some stuff in BIOS which I can go back over and type out should I need to.

With that being said I've been getting a constant driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error. The ONLY way i can get into windows is with one of the safe modes. So I can boot in but only in a limited scenario.

When I disconnect the WIFI card or disable it in BIOS, I get the "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"

I am going to plug it back in and use device manager to uninstall the device through windows and have it reinstall the drivers. Windows will not boot without the card plugged in. Which I find odd. This is my suspected culprit, or just something causing a different issue making the diagnosing process more annoying.

I have had networking through the ethernet port so I will also test the WIFI in safe mode with networking. It worked the day before.

I'll drop more info when I stand up and stretch my legs.

This is baffling me but I would like some input if any of you have any. Thank you.

Quinnfuzzball

Reputable
Jun 3, 2021
Enabling
Onboard HD Audio
Onboard LAN
WAN Radio
and BT did not change the CRIT PROCESS error. Will reset BIOS. No idea whats happening here.

No change in reset bios. What...?

This was not an issue a moment ago. My problem WAS the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal but I guess thats changed.

Quinnfuzzball

Reputable
Jun 3, 2021
I cannot, now, reinstall windows through the advanced options or, uninstall updates. It also will not let me access the oldest system restore point. With "you must enable system protection on this drive" which is for ALL of the restore points.

I have my Ethernet now plugged in and I get "there was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

Ok. I will plug in my Windows installer and boot though that and see what I can do. Last thing I want to do now is reinstall windows.

Quinnfuzzball

Reputable
Jun 3, 2021
This issue has been given up on. It was a fresher install of Windows so I just installed a new one. I am still willing to go through the effort of fixing the issue to provide an answer for others who might encounter it if anyone wants to help. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
If the problem reoccurs look for related errors, warnings, and informational events in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Reliability History/Monitor is end user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Take the time to work with both tools and get a sense of how they work and the information presented.

Plus, as always, ensure that all important data is being regularly backed up and proven both recovable and readable.

Quinnfuzzball

Reputable
Jun 3, 2021
If the problem reoccurs look for related errors, warnings, and informational events in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Reliability History/Monitor is end user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

To help with Event Viewer:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Take the time to work with both tools and get a sense of how they work and the information presented.

Plus, as always, ensure that all important data is being regularly backed up and proven both recovable and readable.
Sorry wrong thread bad reply. But I cannot get into windows to see any event viewer.