owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
I'm looking to upgrade my sound, been putting it off for years, from my current set up of a pair of ATH M30's and onboard/integrated audio with no dedicated sound card. What I have found to be possibly the best choices are below.

I enjoy sound quality, but, I would be categorized as more of a basshead if anyone were to attempt to. I am looking for that rumbling thunder sound like when you send a flank of cavalry in for the charge, the raw power of a mounted machine gun when you hop on and open it up, the terrifying and powerful roar of a swooping dragon, and explosions/car engines/yells/etc. I want that bass, but I would also enjoy overall sound quality like for sneaking around listening for footsteps or enjoying immersive ambient sounds.

• Another pair that seemed possibly good are the M50x, but I could not get clear info on whether they could output good bass or not, with some saying tons and others saying barely any. Would they be a better pick?
  • There is a choice between Ohms, I went with 80 based on a reviewer suggesting around that much, but there is a 250 option as well.
  • I assume higher Ohms means more bass? Is 250 something that is overkill and would require a massive AMP?
So, if anyone knows if that combo is good and can recommend them, or, knows of better alternatives I would appreciate any info. Thx in advance.

Solution
D
If you're a bass head then the 80 ohm DT770 is your best choice. The 250ohm version has more of the Beyerdynamic 'hot' treble. The E10K will easily drive it.

To upgrade the DT770 in bass quality would be a Massdrop x Fostex TH/TR -X00 in any of the 3 woods. You can find a used Mahogany for around $300ish on ebay. The Ebony is the best of the bunch and to upgrade the dynamic slam and overall signature of it means a $1700 ZMF.

Avoid the M50X. Bloated bass that bleeds into the mids. It's overrated.

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I'm looking to upgrade my sound, been putting it off for years, from my current set up of a pair of ATH M30's and onboard/integrated audio with no dedicated sound card. What I have found to be possibly the best choices are below.

I enjoy sound quality, but, I would be categorized as more of a basshead if anyone were to attempt to. I am looking for that rumbling thunder sound like when you send a flank of cavalry in for the charge, the raw power of a mounted machine gun when you hop on and open it up, the terrifying and powerful roar of a swooping dragon, and explosions/car engines/yells/etc. I want that bass, but I would also enjoy overall sound quality like for sneaking around listening for footsteps or enjoying immersive ambient sounds.

• Another pair that seemed possibly good are the M50x, but I could not get clear info on whether they could output good bass or not, with some saying tons and others saying barely any. Would they be a better pick?
  • There is a choice between Ohms, I went with 80 based on a reviewer suggesting around that much, but there is a 250 option as well.
  • I assume higher Ohms means more bass? Is 250 something that is overkill and would require a massive AMP?
So, if anyone knows if that combo is good and can recommend them, or, knows of better alternatives I would appreciate any info. Thx in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you're a bass head then the 80 ohm DT770 is your best choice. The 250ohm version has more of the Beyerdynamic 'hot' treble. The E10K will easily drive it.

To upgrade the DT770 in bass quality would be a Massdrop x Fostex TH/TR -X00 in any of the 3 woods. You can find a used Mahogany for around $300ish on ebay. The Ebony is the best of the bunch and to upgrade the dynamic slam and overall signature of it means a $1700 ZMF.

Avoid the M50X. Bloated bass that bleeds into the mids. It's overrated.

Reactions: owedevil
Solution