wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hello, I want to install windows 7 on another drive in my computer completely apart from my main windows 10 drive. So I went ahead and made a bootable windows 7 ISO and tried starting up from it. It gets to the "starting up windows" and the logo but then the pc just power cycles and is stuck in a boot loop. The pc just boots fine to windows 10. I have csm disabled and between other os and windows uefi I have selected windows uefi mode. Please help. Motherboard: Asus maximus xi extreme

EDIT: I enabled csm and got to the windows 7 installer, however I can't control it. Neither the mouse or the keyboard do anything in the setup.

For the people that are curious about the optimisation between Windows 10 and Windows 7:
Windows10: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46029197
Windows7: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46055341

(I know userbenchmark is bad, but it is very good at comparing the same hardware)

Last edited:
Solution
ok, so you need to update your win 7 image to include the 3.0 drivers. this tool will do this and much more for you.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

you can easily run win 7 on the new hardware with a couple tweaks. does not matter "if it is not supported". i run it as my daily driver on new hardware and have set it up on many new systems regularly as many people do not want win 10 or need win 7 for various reasons.

this takes a while to run so start it, then go to bed and it will be done when you wake up :)

save an untouched copy of your win 7 iso elsewhere as this updater will effectively "break" it from installing on older hardware!!

this...

USAFRet

Titan
This is a recreation of this previous thread?

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
This is a recreation of this previous thread?
Nope, that thread is solved now. I can now boot into windows 10 without problem and want now to install windows 7👍🏻

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
what are the full specs of the pc? win 7 does not like to install on newer hardware but you can do it easy enough if i know what you are working with.
Asus maximus xi extreme
I9 9900k
1tb nvme ssd
180gb Intel sata ssd (Windows 7 is going to be installed on this one)
Gtx 780 ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz 16gb
Corsair rm750x

I just want to have Windows 7 for all of my retro and legacy devices such as old iPhones, home brew on old consoles and other.

WIn7 is not going to work with a Z390 (which came out two years after the last natively supported Intel chipset) and it's 8th gen/9th gen Intel CPUs...

Losing battle, and, somewhat pointless anyway given WIn7's unsupported state...

(What is root cause for the 'I want WIn7 too!' crisis? :) )

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
WIn7 is not going to work with a Z390 (which came out two years after the last natively supported Intel chipset) and it's 8th gen/9th gen Intel CPUs...

Losing battle, and, somewhat pointless anyway given WIn7's unsupported state...

(What is root cause for the 'I want WIn7 too!' crisis? :) )
Read my reply that's couple comments up.

I know it's possible in vm but I just like it on a drive and have it in full screen:)

View: https://youtu.be/npTbXWRJ1vs

Maybe this works?

If you're not gaming on it, pointless having it on an entire drive. You can have it in full screen in a VM too.

If you must have it on its own drive and have some way of getting around the modern board issue, do as @USAFRet suggested and disconnect all drives before then installing W7. Reconnect all drives, select which will be your default device and use the BIOS boot menu when you want the non-default OS.

But I'm wondering if you'll get it to work properly with that board, I'd just put it in a VM.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok, so you need to update your win 7 image to include the 3.0 drivers. this tool will do this and much more for you.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

you can easily run win 7 on the new hardware with a couple tweaks. does not matter "if it is not supported". i run it as my daily driver on new hardware and have set it up on many new systems regularly as many people do not want win 10 or need win 7 for various reasons.

this takes a while to run so start it, then go to bed and it will be done when you wake up :)

save an untouched copy of your win 7 iso elsewhere as this updater will effectively "break" it from installing on older hardware!!

this will allow it to install on your new hardware. but you do need to check if there are win 7 drivers for your mobo and other hardware. if there is no driver, then you will have a lot more work to do to get that piece working 100%.

not saying you can'r get it working, just that you may have to find drivers somewhere else for each piece that needs it. for instance, the wifi card may not have a driver on the mobo page, but if you look it up on intel wifi card site, it will have a win 7 driver and so on.

Solution

wiktor.nowak05

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017

this will allow it to install on your new hardware. but you do need to check if there are win 7 drivers for your mobo and other hardware. if there is no driver, then you will have a lot more work to do to get that piece working 100%.

not saying you can'r get it working, just that you may have to find drivers somewhere else for each piece that needs it. for instance, the wifi card may not have a driver on the mobo page, but if you look it up on intel wifi card site, it will have a win 7 driver and so on.
Thank you so much! You are the only person that actually understands my problem and tries to solve it unlike going with the conclusion that i have to use a VM. Windows 7 is now running without any problem on my Z390 board!! Thank you again and have a good day:)