[SOLVED] Dual channel Ram compatibility

Oct 17, 2020
So I want to upgrade my Corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2400mhz to 8+16 gb Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3200mhz. If I do so, will they run in dual channel mode? My motherboard is Gigabyte h110.
Thanks.

No no NO! Dual channel needs both RAM sticks to have the same size, THE END. If you want more performance, you MUST go dual channel (so 8+8), end of story. You can mix different brands and speeds, knowing that the system will require you to use the lowest common denominator by default (you can then try to increase speed, reduce cycle lengths and increase voltage to compensate). Make sure that you don't mix dual rank and single rank sticks though, there be dragons.

Reactions: itmesoham
Oct 17, 2020
No no NO! Dual channel needs both RAM sticks to have the same size, THE END. If you want more performance, you MUST go dual channel (so 8+8), end of story. You can mix different brands and speeds, knowing that the system will require you to use the lowest common denominator by default (you can then try to increase speed, reduce cycle lengths and increase voltage to compensate). Make sure that you don't mix dual rank and single rank sticks though, there be dragons.
So you mean, 8+8 will be better than 8+16? Even if I go with 8+8 the speed will be underclocked to 2400mhz which is my old ram, so if I go with 8+16 it'll give me more 8gb of ram at 2400mhz isn't that better?
Also what do you mean by dual rank and single rank sticks?

So you mean, 8+8 will be better than 8+16? Even if I go with 8+8 the speed will be underclocked to 2400mhz which is my old ram, so if I go with 8+16 it'll give me more 8gb of ram at 2400mhz isn't that better?
Also what do you mean by dual rank and single rank sticks?
Whatever setup will run at the lowest supported speed - 2400 MHz. 8+16 will use a single RAM controller (equivalent to 64-bit width) while 8+8 will use interleaved RAM controller (equivalent to 128-bit width) meaning double the RAM bandwidth. This usually results in a 20% more effective CPU.
Dual rank RAM sticks are those that have chips on both sides. They increase the load on the RAM controller but can result in slightly lower timings. Mixing dual rank and single rank RAM sticks in a dual channel setup will cause instability due to the radically different layout.