Question Dual GPUs - - - 6800 XT + 7900 XTX ?

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
For testing purposes, i decided to to take my 6800 XT from a PC I use as a steam console and throw it into my main PC. As I know most games do not support crossfire and I do not intend on using dual gpu's for gaming but rather different tasks and balanced work loads. Does having a 6800 XT with a 7900 XTX hurt performance in anyway? (Running games on XTX, rendering on XT) Its a silly question, just curious if its too much data being sent around the board that could hurt performance. I currently have my monitors connected to the XT (because XTX idles at 100W) and selecting games to render on the XTX. (Gaming in 1440p and 4k)

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
In theory, you should be able to game on one GPU and render on the other. You might lose a bit of CPU performance from one or both apps, but you might not.

In practice that would depend on what power supply you are using if you're referring to the rig in your sig.
Yeah, its the RM1000X from corsair. Running a 6800 XT with XTX works perfect, just curious on any performance lost. 1 thing I noted was when running a game, both gpus start working. By that I mean ill boot anygame, such as Read or Not, XTX will be at 100% (75c) and 6800 XT at 52% (63c). Last time I checked most games are not Crossfire supported, so are these really working together? probably not, but I do have the monitors connected to the XT for power consumption issues with the XTX. So maybe its rendering on XTX and doing a copy paste thing on the XT? beats me, but does work amazingly well for anything. Dual rendering and gaming. This was just for a shits and giggles, probably going to remove the XT and put it back into my console PC.