Dumb question: XP Upgrade OEM vs Retail

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Sorry for the total Noob question, but didn't see an answer when I searched this forum...I am about to purchase Windows XP from Newegg and there are two versions-OEM and Retail. What's the difference? I currently have a Dell WinME CD that cape with my PC that I plan to use as qualification for the Upgarde version.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Retail is just that - a full version of WinXP. OEM is the same full version but it must be bought wiht computer hardware and it is suppposedly tied to that hardware (its the version that is supposed to come with a store-built PC). Both are the same software just different 'deals' on whether its coming with hardware or not.

Get the cheaper one.

Mike.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you buy the Retail version, you will be able to reinstall XP on different (your own personal) units as you improve your hardware. This is okay as long as it is ONE MACHINE AT A TIME!

You will NOT be able to do that with the OEM flavor. All you get with that are Recovery Discs for THE EXACT SAME MACHINE!

Something to be said for having your own full copy of XP.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I guess I'm splitting hairs here since there isn't a huge difference in price between the two. I had heard there was a difference in support (OEM gets no support since it's for companies that are building the PC and therefore will support the OS, retail gets 30 day Microsoft support). BTW, this is for the Upgrade version, NOT the full version of XP.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
That's okay; it's cheaper. The ME cd will qualify you. Keep it safe. You may find yourself having to reinstall XP now & then, and you will need it.

The Home version "Upgrade" has all the stuff you need (same as the Full). The Full version is for people who never owned Windows before.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You will NOT be able to do that with the OEM flavor. All you get with that are Recovery Discs for THE EXACT SAME MACHINE!

Something to be said for having your own full copy of XP.
Hmmm... I go to Newegg, buy a mobo, CPU, case, PSU, hard drive, etc., and Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2 - OEM. You are telling me that the CD in that windows package is a Recovery disk? I think you're wrong. This is my very own full copy of XP. :)

Mike.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Yes, Mike, you are right in that Newegg scenario. They aren't building your unit and installing XP for you. But, with that OEM flavor, I'm fairly sure you can install, and register it only a total of three times (twice more after hardware changes).

In other OEM instances, one gets only recovery discs with a "pre-loaded" comp. These are the situations I'm called in to fix most of the time.

When this gentleman buys his own version outright (not tied to hardware in any way), he can install and register any number of times, as long as it's personal for him, and as long as it's one machine at a time.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yes, Mike, you are right in that Newegg scenario. They aren't building your unit and installing XP for you. But, with that OEM flavor, I'm fairly sure you can install, and register it only a total of three times (twice more after hardware changes).
You may be right on the 3 time limit. My (unverified because it didn't matter to me) understanding that that is a limit on all XP (retail included), but to 'work around it' you just have to call MS & tell them its a new computer - or so I've been told as I've never had the 'opportunity' (and never expect to) to do that.

This is the OEM 'flavor' that the OP was worrying about, which is why I questioned your information.

Mike.

RichPLS

Champion
I have had to call MS once to get authorized after several upgrades. Painless really, did not take too long or much trouble.
Fixin to do it again with new build. [/shrugs] Expect it will be the same...