Duron 1GHz + K6-2 400MHz Heatsink = Fried?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Hey guys..
I got a working pull Duron 1GHz from a friend, along with a crappy DFI KT133 based motherboard, which can't even recognized the processoor..(shown as Athlon 1GHz at startup..)

But anyway, after flashing to latest BIOS, the mobo still can't recognize the processor, I leave both of them in a Box.

Now, another friend bought a MSI KT133A based board (K7T Turbo I believe), he told me that the computer is not booting, he believes that the mobo is dead, I asked him for more detailed what he did, he told me that he used a K6-2 400MHz heatsink/Fan, which is obviously a socket 7, it's surprised me that he is able to, but anywayz..

When he pushed the power button, he said all fans go, and start spinning, but nth appeard on the screen, he tried some basic things (switching video card, unplug everything etc..)
Then he thought it could be the heatsink, so he touched the heatsinnk, however the heatsink was not warm AT ALL, then he touched the cpu die, it was very hot..(it's done right after shut PSU off)

So now, the question is, did he just fry the processor?

PS: I took both mobo and cpu from him, pluging the processor to my KT333 mobo, it doesn't boot, then i take my Duron 1GHz (which works on my KT333), plug it into his MSI KT133A, it did same thing, nth appeard on screen, so my conclusion is that both cpu/mobo are dead..mobo could be DOA from ebay, but what explained cpu's death?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Socket 7 heatsinks fit Athlons/Durons/PIIIs/Celerons and vice versa. But most Socket 7 sinks had clips with no pivot point over the die, instead spreading the load over the chip (the heat spreader on K6-2's and Tualatins). The problem here is that without having the pressure centered over the die, the sink can rock on the core and make improper contact (like, on the edge of the die only). That's why I recommend the newer sinks on older processors but not vice-versa.

Also, most Socket 7 sinks didn't have enough clip presure on flip-chip processors. So between not being flat against the die or not having presure against the die he might have fried the CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I made that mistake, which is why I actually found this forum, and it caused nothing but serious problems. There's a good chance he fried the CPU but I will say that I ran mine for hours on end and although it was overheating, wouldn't install windows, and was a pain in my rear, it didn't fry the CPU. It's still running to this day, albeit with the correct HSF.

I have to wonder how much hotter a Duron 1 Ghz runs compared to my 800Mhz one. That could be the difference between frying and just not working.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
The worst thing is that, that board comes ALONE, there is no manuals, cable, driver CD or whatever..my friend wasn't able to find the Power Switch on the motherboard..he tried everything single pins, that's how he find power switch

endyen

Splendid
I dont know how many manuals I've downloaded, but it is the #1 download on my systems, by far. Not having a manual for a board you are working on is just crazy. If he did that, the board and chip are toast.
Once I actually revived a board, that had had a fan header jumpered (not by me) but it only lasted a month. It wasn't worth the hasle. Oh well, it's only money, that isn't yours.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
"he tried everything single pins" ...

I guess messing with pins, trying to guess the right one, is also a good way to destroy a mobo ...

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
The problem here is that without having the pressure centered over the die, the sink can rock on the core and make improper contact (like, on the edge of the die only).
So is that the reason why the heatsink was not warm at all? which means he fried the processor i guess..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It can happen. I've used oversized older sinks on flip-chip processors, experimented with various clips, and found most early clips simply don't work. I've even modified some clips so they would work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>