[SOLVED] Dust build up in pc

Aug 3, 2021
I've had my pc for maybe 5-6 months and during those 5-6 months i haven't cleaned it and right now the performance in games is really unplayable. I've tried everything updating drivers, resetting my pc nothing is working so i'm wondering if the dust in my pc could affect performance

Solution
Honestly keeping dust out of your PC is not difficult. Use a dust filter on your intake fan and set up your PC for a positive airflow. Should get atleast a year before you start noticing dust. But this may not apply to open cases or cases with a lot of mesh openings.
The biggest performance increases I have seen in PCs that have been in operation for more than a year is cleaning the dust from cooling fins and reinstalling your OS after a reformat.
Aug 3, 2021
I have a gtx 1650 and i realised that it had gotten to 91C while gaming and 40- 45 while idle, someone told me that could be the cause so i've just ordered compressed air to try clean it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a schedule where I take each of my computers outside and blow them out with a leaf blower about every month to six weeks, based on use. About once a year I actually go in and take things like the fans and GPU out and physically wipe and clean them down, take a bit of extra care on air coolers and such.

It's a good idea to monitor your temps. Consider seasonal changes, but if you start seeing more than around 5* uplift in component temps without the same in ambient you are already late.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Honestly keeping dust out of your PC is not difficult. Use a dust filter on your intake fan and set up your PC for a positive airflow. Should get atleast a year before you start noticing dust. But this may not apply to open cases or cases with a lot of mesh openings.
The biggest performance increases I have seen in PCs that have been in operation for more than a year is cleaning the dust from cooling fins and reinstalling your OS after a reformat.

Solution