EA Ditching Plans for PC Version of Dead Space 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natureaddict

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Why can't we make games that are platform universal? Most of the consoles have the option of attaching a keyboard and mouse. Most PC hardware out there is equal to or superior to console hardware. Lets make the same game disk work in whatever system you happen to own.

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]"Dumping PC for the next generation of hot gaming platforms isn't a surprise to me."What a joke, PC still offer the only platform where you can bump up graphics ect to insane levels and still maintain a respectable framerate (2560x1600 4xaa here). Its also the only platform compared to consoles that don't need crap like auto-aim to even remotely emulate real controls. In my book auto-aim and skills aren't synonyms. Consoles are poormans gaming machines - Period. Great for casual wannabe gamers thoo =)To me the lost if it can even be called that is of no consequence, the first got ruined by consolized controls. Just shame the Xbox keeps back true development of the PC platform since few companies care to make other than DX9 games (too many with poor controls as well) due to it...[/citation]

Dude I Fully agree with you! When I was a kid consoles where great but now that im older (21) PC is much better and i can see that.
I have buddys on Xbox and they boast @ MW2 and I keep telling them to hop onto PC get use to the controls and then go play and youll get smashed!
It saddens me 2 that devs are dumbing down game quality to adjust for consoles or like this where they cancled this altogether!
Part of it I think maybe due to piracy but not all sure...
But if there gonna dumb games down for consoles we should ahve to pay atleast 10 bucks less.

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]natureaddict[/nom]Why can't we make games that are platform universal? Most of the consoles have the option of attaching a keyboard and mouse. Most PC hardware out there is equal to or superior to console hardware. Lets make the same game disk work in whatever system you happen to own.[/citation]
The PS3 version of UT3 did support Keyboard+Mouse

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]The problem with this statement is that there is no "next generation of hot gaming platforms" out there. The PC is still king for "real" gaming.[/citation]
You are incorrect. It is the market that determines what is 'hot', not the hardware. if 70~80% of your company's income is derived from console sales, then yes it is safe to say that consoles are a 'hot gaming platform'. be it this generation or the next.

yay! another game just leave the PC and go for console exclusive only. if you ask them why, one of the top answer is piracy. well can't really blame them because they are profit making company after all

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
on the extreme side i see console systems replacing enthusiast computers. easier to manage and more money. not to mention a lot easier to program for specific hardware.

next gen consoles will probably cost as much as toms "budget gaming pc."

and to rantoc. the amount of actual people wasting their money on a comp that will play on that level... well let's just say you guys aren't worth mentioning in the profit papers.

just because your monitor is bigger doesn't mean it makes the replay value of a game better. nor does having something like that make you the 1337 gamer. your argument is invalid.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]I wonder just how much they claim bootlegging hurt their business?[/citation]
If by "next generation consoles" you mean the 360, which came out 3 years ago, and yet is STILL a massively glitchy piece of junk.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Eh, what do you expect? With statistics clearly showing there are more PC games pirated over Xbox/Ps3 (ps3 is nearly impossible) They would be losing money or making minimal amounts selling to the PC. Halarious how it works, a lot of PC gamers pirate, then complain later that they're not making games for the PC as much as they used too. Sadly, we all pay for those who sit and pirate, then spend the day defending themselves saying "It isn't because of us that they're losing sales" or even the whole "We should get it for free" BS.[/citation]

You make somewhat valid point, however it makes no difference really as to whether it is PC or console they both get pirated. For example Modern Warfare 2: the below article shows that the game was not only pirated on the pc but xbox as well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10422892-17.html

Of course the media does slant things a bit for example the below article mentions the pc pirated versions and only makes just a passing reference of the close to a million pirated versions of the xbox:

http://www.techspot.com/news/37451-modern-warfare-2-most-pirated-game-of-2009.html

As for those saying use Steam. Well based on my exp. Steam sucks. There are more cheats and hacks for those who play Modern Warfare 2 on it then I ever saw with dedicated servers. Some nights it is not even worth playing do to Steams servers just not up to the load then add in the hacks and forget it.

"Halarious how it works, a lot of PC gamers pirate, then complain later that they're not making games for the PC as much as they used too."

This is a huge assumption. Not all and will say most PC gamers do not pirate the games. This is only perpetuated by the companies like Steam and others, including the media, who try and validate the reasoning behind not developing a game for the PC. The articles above show how the media and companies like Steam and IW end up being wrong on this point. Not to mention that, as the articles have shown, even the consoles are not immune to pirates. Once the gaming market has ditched the PC all together and the pirates just continue pirating the consoles games what will their excuse be then?

So in conclusion:) It makes no never mind PC this, console that. Pirates will pirate regardless.

helevole

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]ph3412b07[/nom]GG... similar thing happened with Crysis 2. Such a pity when all these nice DX11 cards are being released.[/citation]

whatwhatwhat?! are you telling me that Crysis 2 wont be made for PC? but the damn consoles dont even have the HW to run the first game decently.... wheres the logic in that?

G

What is the definition of casual gamer in this thread? Are you a casual gamer if you are not an enthusiast computer builder that will fork out 300$ for just a graphics cards and instead opt to buy a console for the same price, one that future-proofs your accessibility to big-budget titles? There will always be PC-gamers - good on you - but don't call me 'casual' because I play on homogenized hardware that offers identical game performance across the network. I think YOUR skill is determined in part by your die size and bus speed. XD

vandalay23

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
This is just stupid, i loved the first game, had an amazing atmosphere. They are just ditching this simply because they can't come up with a method to stop the piracy on pc, and its just sad. Work harder on improving the anti-piracy, but don't deny us the pleasure of gaming :p

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]I bought Dead Space originally for the PC, but I couldn't get the hang of the controls and kept "flipping around." I bought the Xbox360 version and the gameplay is so much easier.Some games I prefer on the PC (Dragon Age, Left for Dead 2, Bioshock), but some games just play better on the console, IMO.[/citation]
I agree, I could only play it for an hour before I gave up. EA screwed PC gamers with whacked out controls. They are better off not releasing it for PC if they won't use '"standard" controls.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]You are incorrect. It is the market that determines what is 'hot', not the hardware. if 70~80% of your company's income is derived from console sales, then yes it is safe to say that consoles are a 'hot gaming platform'. be it this generation or the next.[/citation]
Yes sir! And it was the "market" which dumped us all down the tubes. Or are you so rich that the "crash" didn't affect you?

The control, state-of-the-art graphics and display and a great story line are what I look for in a game. Consoles (not a one of them) offer me nothing that can compare to the experience I get on my PC. And I have the fun of getting it to run better.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I have 2 differing opinions on the console vs pc for gaming.

1. EA is a company with shareholders that care only about their stock price/dividends. As such, any piracy of PC games (a smaller sub-section of the gaming market than consoles for "high profile new games") is lost revenue.

As such, the future of the PC (as we know it today) as a gaming platform, unless the trend changes, will be down the route of "second generation games." It cost much less to make a $30 PC game programmed for computers that were built 5 years ago (Example: The Sims lineage, including $30 expansions) than it does to make the "latest and greatest" work. (Due to drivers, DX, etc... all the things people have already mentioned.

Further, and closer to home for most of us, PC hardware advancement is changing from its previous norm. Instead of faster single thread performance on CPUs, we are getting increasingly multi-threaded. (IE: More difficult to program for.) Further, mainstream and low-end ATI and Nvidia cards... as seen in recent reviews... actually don't perform as well as cards of a couple years ago. (Yes, they run cooler and on less power, but performance wise...) As such, the PC as a gaming platform is not increasing in performance as quickly as it used to.

2. With the above said, what about people, like myself, that purpose built a Home Theatre/"Light gaming" multi-purpose PC for the living room for the purpose of playing PC games out of the "computer room?" Easy, we fit the "$30 game" norm... even though I may not like it.

In the console vs PC fight:

1. Consoles are typically less buggy. (Uniform design)
2. They are easier to operate. (Broader user market)
3. PCs, with the right amount of money and time, are better for almost everything.

In the future, if we changed to a mainstream gaming model of buying a new upgraded (and backward compatible) console every 2-3 years... from the current model of buying a new computer (or new video card, ram, and cpu upgrades) every 2-3 years... the "supply side" of the market (companies, and thus shareholders) will be happier.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
My personal opinion is that they did not want to fix the damn engine that ran like crap on any gpu past the 8800 gt specs.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Not really surprising though. Dead Space: Extraction was released on Wii only, even though the orignal was PC/Xbox/PS3. Extraction was pretty awesome though - same great story, just rail shooter mode (and of course, much worse graphics). At first this put me off since A) rail shooter and B) terrible graphics, but honestly about an hour into the game, I stopped caring. The atmosphere is still unmatched by other shooters and the story line is still as engaging.

That said, the point still stands. They put out a prequel for a completely different platform then the others. What EA wants is for you to own a PC, Wii and a xBox/PS3 so they can milk money from all platforms - this is just their strategy for doing so. Its despicable, but to be perfectly honest, I've been meaning to buy a PS3 for some time anyway, so this game may be the catalyst for that. It will never replace my PC for "real" gaming (judging by the comments, you all know what I'm talking about), but the PS3 will be great as a central entertainment source for my TV (stream media from PC, play blue rays, play games).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]axilon[/nom]My personal opinion is that they did not want to fix the damn engine that ran like crap on any gpu past the 8800 gt specs.[/citation]

Actually, it was a well known issue that if you V-Sync enabled, the game would stutter quite badly and make the controls feel unresponsive. Unfortunatly, most people don't even know what VSync is supposed to be for and when to and when not to enable it. That said, disabling VSync made the game run smooth as butter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

thranx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
No one should be annoyed or disappointed by this. Dead Space on the PC was horrible. The controls were the worst ported controls I've played since Halo 2 PC.

This news isn't what people should be annoyed about, the horrible port quality of the first one should. Don't rant against this article if you've never experienced the travesty of the first game.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, consoles don't have the little bugs and issues like a PC does, but they are also very outdated by todays standards.
And alot of those bugs are PC/driver related.

Mass Effect 2 in 1080p on a console looks like crap compared to a maxed settings Mass Effect 2 on PC, not to mention games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age have top down views, tuned menues and features console versions do not.

Don't get me wrong I love my PS3 but for the ultimate visual experience my high-end gaming PC rolls them both.
I will put up with an error here or there to play it in its full glory.

Resolutions play a small part in how a game looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.