EA: No Patches for Battlefield 3 Outside Origin

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]bloodycow[/nom]The patch is so big because the Back To Karkand expansion is included in the patch. Even if you haven't purchased it.[/citation]
If those maps are only neccessary if you're buying the dlc, then why saddle everyone with such a big update?

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Do they really think this is going to stop piracy?[/citation]

They're not going against piracy, this is targeted purely against second-hand sales.
And it works, all my local game stores have stopped carrying used PC-games.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I guess just to act as a counterweight...
I pre-ordered BF3 a couple of weeks before it came out. I got home and Origin set it up through a mix of the DVD's contents and downloading updated files. I played the game and had no problems.

Yeah, Origin would not have been my first choice but it has done nothing to slow down my computer. BF3 itself is extremely fun and runs surprisingly well on my older machine. I've had no serious problems with the game or its platform in my dozens of hours played.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
The population of BF3 is declining quickly. I think we'll see a nice increase come B2K tomorrow for the PC, but I don't think it will ever go passed the population it hits this week. EA is killing BF3 by limiting to the unpopular origin, by being so damn uptight about patches, unrealistic release dates (let's be fair, this game was not ready to be released by far), and with their outlandish banning habits. DICE also isn't doing so great with odd balancing implementations, and questionable features (e.g. regenerating vehicles, sun glare, art directions, etc.). I still play it, and enjoy it a bit, but the game could have been a lot better, and I'm worried they'll forget about it before they can really patch it to completion.

To be fair though, this patch did contain B2K maps I believe, which is why it was so huge (correct me if I'm wrong).

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
EA is a fucking loser ass company with no initiative or design. DICE is a world leader in games. Too bad DICE can t publish thru someone else, like themselves or something. Origin is from the dirt. Craptastic at its best. I mean why are their 2 chat interfaces.. one thru battlelog website, and another chat on Origin app, fucking stupid, and they dont sync..

If I play solo and join a multiplayer game I cant fucking use voice with that person in my squad unless I get their Origin ID and get out of game to go to website to get voip up ... i mean fucking stupid. I was using VOIP in BF2. INGAME!!! come on Dice what happened. what is going on. you are failing and reverting to copying COD shit... Its a pain in the ass. I mean why doesnt Origin overlay have VOIP. Why would EA ever ever ever go with Origin over steam Bunch of toolbags working over there..

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I tried to download this "patch" over the weekend. It got to about 85% and then I get a message about being disconnected from EA. Then the patch started over from 0% once Origin thought I was connected again. Seriously, EA, you don't have a working pause and resume system? I even have FiOS and it still took an hour to get to 85%. I never have this problem with Steam, although I suppose their patches are actually patches and a third of the game that wasn't ready in time for release.

Maybe I'll try downloading the patch again later this week. I'm really not motivated to try and get BF3 working again. It could have been such a great game. There's genuine potential there. The last patch killed all my favorite servers and made the game unplayable for several friends. EA and DICE really need to start listening to their player base and stop dictating the way patches are delivered, forcing servers to be configured a certain way, or radically tinkering with the game's content.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Origin is simply a way for EA, as a publisher, to keep the portion of the sale proceeds that would normally be going to a third party retailer. It also creates a direct anti-piracy layer.

This is the exact same reason that Valve created Steam. To make revenue from digital distribution, and to ensure that gamers are correctly authenticated.

If I'm honest, I don't really see how these platforms harm end users. They're designed to 'drip feed' patches / content - so unless the servers are crap I can't see why end users need to download a huge patch from a local host. I'm based in the UK and I download stuff from the US at decent speeds all the time.

However, if EA indeed don't have a pause/resume system or international mirrors that is shite and needs fixing!!!

The biggest loser in all of this is actually the independent retailers - be they 'bricks and mortar' retail outlets, online retailers, or digital distributors. Forcing players to engage with the publishers 'direct' digital distribution platform (Steam, Origin) is anticompetitive in my view.

For that reason alone I'm surprised there isn't more regulation surrounding this.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Not sure if anyone is reading the news about BF3, but the B2K pack for PC retail customers has been delayed until December 15th. Origin customers and 360 customers can play it on the 13th. PS3 customers can already play B2K. I'm really shocked EA/DICE is making retail PC customers wait until the 15th to play B2K. What a smack in the face. I can't support a company that does this to their customers.

G

Origin is required to play BF3 anyways. This isn't news or anything we haven't seen since release.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Yes Mr Genius. Why are they stupid? They just give their opinions. Even you didn't have the problems, doesn't mean other people don't.

Do not be a retard.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

No, there really are a lot of blatantly stupid opinions on here. For example, a bunch of people are raging about the patch being 3.6 GB in size when they should have known by now the Karkand maps were coming out but that Sony paid a lot to have the PC and Xbox versions delayed a week. Note here that the maps didn't ship with the game which is much more honorable than the unlockable DLC / maps packs for the Call of Duty mediocrity the last three years.

Calling people stupid is simply that person's opinion, so now you are being intolerant of intolerance by calling them a retard (which is worse).

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Here's the source on that new Back to Karkand delay for non-Origin customers: https://help.ea.com/article/back-to-karkand-release-schedule. Anyone who purchased the limited edition game or purchased B2K separately anywhere other than Origin will have to wait 2 extra days. This is below the belt. It's obnoxious. I know EA is evil, but this is a new low. Wow.

Btw, calling people stupid is not the same thing as calling the opinions of people stupid.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Ok, I understand that. But, did you see I call him a retard? I just said to him DON'T be a retard. Read carefully.

annihilatorza

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
I was thinking of buying this, but now I will never buy Bf3 as long as it’s on Origin.

I will stick to only having one platform to play my games on and that will be steam, I have over 100 games on it and I will not be getting another platform esp one as crap as this is.

I mean the sheer arrogance of the EA to say that if you did not buy it through our crappy service you can’t ever patch it?????

Having bought everything that has come out of the BF series of games, I was looking forward to this but it looks like I will be playing more Team Fortress 2.

It would take something special for someone else to win the award from Activision for sheer arrogance but it looks like we have a winner.

WELL DONE EA FOR BEEN SO SHORT SIGHTED THAT YOU HAVE KILLED ONE OF YOUR MOST POPULAR FRANSCHIES.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
What I really like about Steam is that it is a central location for all my purchased games. I only buy from Steam these days. The ability to backup locally and quickly, automated updates, friends etc. It really is the best platform out there and why EA would ingore that so they can start up their own platform is ridiculous and something they should have developed 10yrs ago when Steam was developed.

G

Sad, I'm stationed in Kandahar Afghanistan getting 15 to maybe 30kbs and I've been trying for a week to download the patch with no luck. All because it doesn't resume!

Stuck in KAF.. :(

regi23

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I've been trying to install the patch for a month now. Every time my connection goes down, i have to stat all over again. Finally Battlefield 3 is resting in my closet. I'm sticking with Modern Warfare 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.