Build Advice Early 2024 build - - - PCIe 5.0 future proof. OS backup, RAID, Windows 12 and more ?

Jan 8, 2024
Hello,
I plan to build my second gaming PC, first one was made in 2017 and it was not optimal (poor airflow, too new components, settings newbe).
Still i built a i7 7700k, 2 nvme m.2 drives in raid 0, gtx 1080, mini-itx system at the time, and it still performs today.

Now I would like to improve and build a new gaming PC.
Just doing some research for parts I see now that PCIe 5.0 is a thing and that windows 12 might be out this year.
I am always afraid to fish behind the net with the new releases.
I am a NVIDIA + INTEL builder, I trust them more than the competition for now simply for compatibility, updates and reliability.
I would like to do custom waterloop at one point, but I am not ready, i need to understand the maintenance, the overclocking and the debugging a bit more before. Windows changing all the time is slowing me down.

1. GPU 5.0: I understand that so far there are no 5.0 gpu, even the 4090 is still on 4.0 transfers, does that mean that we can expect a double of performance when NVIDIA will switch to 5.0 transfers? This would mean I should buy a lower tier machine until we are on the new gen. It would eliminate i9, 4090, pcie 5.0 m.2 ssd, waterloop cooling from my build.
  2. OS and Drives: I am now happy with Windows 10, I see people with windows 11 having all kinds of issues with the cloud. I am afraid to switch to windows 11 and even more to windows 12.
    My question is: For the OS, would it be better to install it on the nvme ssd (5.0 or 4.0) which uses 4x lanes? or is it better on a SATA 2.5" SSD drive?
    From experience with the nvme m.2, since they are near the CPU and motherboard they tend to run hot, and I want the OS to be safe. So I though its better to run in on a SATA 2.5" drive on the bay. However, I heard that the motherboard favors connection to the m.2 x4 drive on slot1 for the CPU communication, so maybe I would lose this quick communication channel... Maybe the OS does not need that communication and its better for the games to have it. I wonder if the games needs to communicate with the OS before going to the CPU for security purposes.
    I thought I would go with OS on a 512 or 1TB SATA 2.5" drive, with daily back-up on another same drive (so using 2 SATA drives for the OS) and then running the games on 2 m.2 pcie nvme SSDs of 2 TB pcie5 for the data hungry games and a 4TB pcie4 for the other games.
    Having the OS on the SATA drive, would also allow me to quickly switch and reset the PC with a simple switch of the drive on the SATA cable, instead of going to the motherboard.
    I am afraid that the SATA is not recognized and operational for the first OS installation.
  3. CPU: I thought of going mid tier for the CPU/GPU so a 4070ti and an i5 14600k. the i5 would have lower cache and lower clock, but is overclockable. I thought maybe its better to have the machine running well and then overclock automatically with the BIOS capabilities. Instead of overclocking a high clock CPU and finding issue with cooling and throttling. My question: Is the loss of cache and cores of the CPU bad enough that it would be better to instead downclock a higher tier CPU (i7/i9), keeping in mind wattage and electricity expenses in mind?
  4. RAM: all the CPU now talk about dual channel, but i want the build to look good so I want to run 4 sticks of RAM. I understand that dual channel means 2 or 4 sticks, and never 1 or 3 sticks. My question: I want to run 4 sticks of ddr5 ram of 16GB each, for a total of 64GB, should I buy 2 dual channel stick combos, or 4 single sticks of RAM...?
    Also the RAM speeds have changed significantly since DDR5 or is it simply a change in how they showcase the speed, I remember on my old build i had 3000 Mhz sticks but they were overclocked at that speed, I think it meant it was running at 6000 Mhz but the ddr4 was halving the speed cause its the speed to go and come back. Now DDR5 is 5600mhz 6000 speed to go and come back too? I felt in my previous build, 3000 mhz was not yet supported by the GPU and motherboard without driver updates and bios update, still i was getting memory errors and so i downgraded the speed to 21xx Mhz and it was much better. I don't know if all these problems are solved now, or if I would have to start the build with the memory lower and then update all the drivers and wait for the BIOS and drivers 1 year and then overclock the RAM and CPU...
  5. Kernel and Microsoft: I found that my previous build had kernel issues and microsoft account issue, i felt like i installed the OS from a usb-key and then registered the key, but then they asked me to connect to my Microsoft account and it connected to my old account also used on my previous 2 laptops and it felt like i was connecting to my old laptops account instead of a brand new bought and registered OS for a gaming private PC... I can see my gaming PC and my work computer on the same microsoft account and things are getting messy. I don't want the same issues. My question: What is the best way to install the Microsoft OS and how to prevent it linking to old accounts. I want to always start fresh as a newborn.

Few things to note:

The 4070Ti Super will be announced today and reviews by 21st jan i think. So GPU wise, 4070Ti Super for a 2k monitor would be a great choice.

Regarding CPU side of things, Intel's 15th gen CPUs on LGA 1851 may come out this fall or by christmas. Thats a long way still. The performance of 14600k when compared to 7800X3D is kinda disappointing. Not to mention 150W power draw compared to 7800X3D's 100W.

The current AM5 mobo will also support future ryzen CPUs. The Z790 wont support 15th gen. So you would essentially be wasting the price on a dead mobo. So i would suggest going with 7800X3D for CPU.

Top of the line mobo for 7800X3D: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R2...i-lite-eatx-am5-motherboard-b650e-taichi-lite

A custom water loop friendly budget case: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tXhv6h/phanteks-nv5-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-nv523tg_dbk01

Regarding SSD: you are correct in assuming a slow speed drive for windows and faster ssd for games. The price of sata and Nvme close enough. save you self soem cable management headache and get 2 M.2 drives.

I would suggest 2 X kit. DDR5 is still new and there are not many 4 X kits (the available ones have a huge price premium over the 2 x kits, not worth it). So an identical 2 x kit may or may not work at the rated speed as a 4 x kit.

6000mhz CL30 and higher is the sweet spot for ryzen and also doesnt cost that much more compared to a 6000mhz CL36 kit.

Regarding Windows, you can install windows without entering the product key. Sign in with your account and then click use another product key and you will be fine.

Reactions: AmaDIYuser001

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello,
I plan to build my second gaming PC, first one was made in 2017 and it was not optimal (poor airflow, too new components, settings newbe).
Still i built a i7 7700k, 2 nvme m.2 drives in raid 0, gtx 1080, mini-itx system at the time, and it still performs today.

Now I would like to improve and build a new gaming PC.
Just doing some research for parts I see now that PCIe 5.0 is a thing and that windows 12 might be out this year.
I am always afraid to fish behind the net with the new releases.
I am a NVIDIA + INTEL builder, I trust them more than the competition for now simply for compatibility, updates and reliability.
I would like to do custom waterloop at one point, but I am not ready, i need to understand the maintenance, the overclocking and the debugging a bit more before. Windows changing all the time is slowing me down.

1. GPU 5.0: I understand that so far there are no 5.0 gpu, even the 4090 is still on 4.0 transfers, does that mean that we can expect a double of performance when NVIDIA will switch to 5.0 transfers? This would mean I should buy a lower tier machine until we are on the new gen. It would eliminate i9, 4090, pcie 5.0 m.2 ssd, waterloop cooling from my build.
  2. OS and Drives: I am now happy with Windows 10, I see people with windows 11 having all kinds of issues with the cloud. I am afraid to switch to windows 11 and even more to windows 12.
    My question is: For the OS, would it be better to install it on the nvme ssd (5.0 or 4.0) which uses 4x lanes? or is it better on a SATA 2.5" SSD drive?
    From experience with the nvme m.2, since they are near the CPU and motherboard they tend to run hot, and I want the OS to be safe. So I though its better to run in on a SATA 2.5" drive on the bay. However, I heard that the motherboard favors connection to the m.2 x4 drive on slot1 for the CPU communication, so maybe I would lose this quick communication channel... Maybe the OS does not need that communication and its better for the games to have it. I wonder if the games needs to communicate with the OS before going to the CPU for security purposes.
    I thought I would go with OS on a 512 or 1TB SATA 2.5" drive, with daily back-up on another same drive (so using 2 SATA drives for the OS) and then running the games on 2 m.2 pcie nvme SSDs of 2 TB pcie5 for the data hungry games and a 4TB pcie4 for the other games.
    Having the OS on the SATA drive, would also allow me to quickly switch and reset the PC with a simple switch of the drive on the SATA cable, instead of going to the motherboard.
    I am afraid that the SATA is not recognized and operational for the first OS installation.
  3. CPU: I thought of going mid tier for the CPU/GPU so a 4070ti and an i5 14600k. the i5 would have lower cache and lower clock, but is overclockable. I thought maybe its better to have the machine running well and then overclock automatically with the BIOS capabilities. Instead of overclocking a high clock CPU and finding issue with cooling and throttling. My question: Is the loss of cache and cores of the CPU bad enough that it would be better to instead downclock a higher tier CPU (i7/i9), keeping in mind wattage and electricity expenses in mind?
  4. RAM: all the CPU now talk about dual channel, but i want the build to look good so I want to run 4 sticks of RAM. I understand that dual channel means 2 or 4 sticks, and never 1 or 3 sticks. My question: I want to run 4 sticks of ddr5 ram of 16GB each, for a total of 64GB, should I buy 2 dual channel stick combos, or 4 single sticks of RAM...?
    Also the RAM speeds have changed significantly since DDR5 or is it simply a change in how they showcase the speed, I remember on my old build i had 3000 Mhz sticks but they were overclocked at that speed, I think it meant it was running at 6000 Mhz but the ddr4 was halving the speed cause its the speed to go and come back. Now DDR5 is 5600mhz 6000 speed to go and come back too? I felt in my previous build, 3000 mhz was not yet supported by the GPU and motherboard without driver updates and bios update, still i was getting memory errors and so i downgraded the speed to 21xx Mhz and it was much better. I don't know if all these problems are solved now, or if I would have to start the build with the memory lower and then update all the drivers and wait for the BIOS and drivers 1 year and then overclock the RAM and CPU...
  5. Kernel and Microsoft: I found that my previous build had kernel issues and microsoft account issue, i felt like i installed the OS from a usb-key and then registered the key, but then they asked me to connect to my Microsoft account and it connected to my old account also used on my previous 2 laptops and it felt like i was connecting to my old laptops account instead of a brand new bought and registered OS for a gaming private PC... I can see my gaming PC and my work computer on the same microsoft account and things are getting messy. I don't want the same issues. My question: What is the best way to install the Microsoft OS and how to prevent it linking to old accounts. I want to always start fresh as a newborn.
The fun never ends. https://www.howtogeek.com/786991/pcie-6.0-whats-new-and-when-can-you-get-it/

Reactions: AmaDIYuser001

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The PCIE question is basically a moot issue. Burke did an update about a year ago on the longstanding issue of PCIE vs. GPU and still found that even PCIE *3* mostly didn't matter for an RTX 4090. The PCIE bandwidth is not a potential bottleneck for GPUs at has not been for a very long time. You're certainly not going to get in the same galaxy as twice the performance out of a GPU because of PCIE 5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2SuyiHs-O4

Reactions: bill001g
Jan 8, 2024
I think I will split these questions into multiple threads in each relevant subsection. It will be easier to answer to each question individually.