[SOLVED] ECC memory on 1150 mobo

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
Chassis: Cougar something (not sure if it is iportand here)
mobo: h81m-e
cpu: xeon e3 1270v3 (same as i7 4770-4790)
rx580 nitro+ saphire hynix (modded bios)

memory controllers after 775 built it to cpu. 1150 Xeon support ECC. but Asus.com says that this mobo doesnt support it
So is it going to work or not? If you are comfy enough, can you tell me the reason why not?

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
Since ECC unbuffered works in both non-ecc and ecc mode, I would just get the ecc and try it. It might work in ecc or non-ecc, but will work either way.
More often than not it just doesn't work. Just because the ram supports it doesn't mean the motherboard does. ECC ram running in non ecc mode still depends on the motherboard supporting that and most don't.

If the OP has the ram there is no harm in trying, but if the OP is going to buy it then it's a gamble of wasting time and money.

More often than not it just doesn't work. Just because the ram supports it doesn't mean the motherboard does. ECC ram running in non ecc mode still depends on the motherboard supporting that and most don't.

If the OP has the ram there is no harm in trying, but if the OP is going to buy it then it's a gamble of wasting time and money.
ECC udimms act just like non-ecc udimms ime. It's only the chipset/cpu support that will enable the ecc if it is supported, otherwise, they're udimms.

Yeah, if the OP already has them try it, but definitely don't buy the wrong thing, unless it's hella cheaper and worth trying.