datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Greetings.

So a little bit of history:

When I first built this PC and installed Windows 10, I installed Chrome. It did not work even though Edge did. I have tried tinkering with it but I just decided to download Fire Fox and that worked. Then everything went well until one day where Fire Fox just stopped working...but Edge was. I tried EVERY troubleshooting procedure I could think of and that I have found online that could have fixed the problem. I tried installing different browsers such as Chrome (again) and Opera. Same thing. Homepage (Google) opens but it cannot browse. Edge on the other hand can do everything. Also, if I run Firefox, Edge stops working as well. What is this? Please help if you think you can fix this.

If this sounded a bit rough I apologize but I have been a bit stressed for the past few days trying to fix this.

Last edited:
Solution
probably a permissions error then. It never occured to me that you weren't using an admin account... one of the fixes I was thinking of suggesting was a new user but you beat me too it.

It seems unlikely you didn't have an admin account as hard to make one without it... the account you made acct on should already be admin? Other possibility is your user was corrupted and simply making new user is solution - much easier than reformat

if you made a new user, I would log onto old one, and copy contents of C:/users/oldusername onto new users folder so it has same access to programs, that way you don't need to reinstall anything. just need to login to things like Steam and Onedrive (if you use them), takes very little time, I have had to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803, 1809 or 1903

i only ask as there was a problem like that a few years ago

what happens in other browsers? does it hang or give an error?

D

Deleted member 14196

All browsers should always work on windows 10 so there is something drastically wrong with your version of windows 10

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
which version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current versions are 1803, 1809 or 1903

i only ask as there was a problem like that a few years ago

what happens in other browsers? does it hang or give an error?

Hello and sorry for the late reply.

I have version 1809.

In other browsers it just keeps loading to infinity until an error screen appears (Cannot connect or Took too long etc…)

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files the first time, and restart PC

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
See if this helps

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files the first time, and restart PC

Just tried that. Did not work. Also I should have mentioned before that if I start Firefox, Edge stops working as well.

Here is the PowerShell code:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> SFC /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

Path :
Online : False
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

D

Deleted member 14196

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder what though.

BTW I did read something among the lines of "Microsoft is forcing you to use Edge" but I don't know.
No they aren’t I can run any browser I want. If repair doesn’t work then you need a clean install

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
you could try updating win 10 to 1903, it might fix it

click 1st link here, download upgrade assistant and run it...

or download 2nd link, use it to make a win 10 installer and clean install win 10 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

at least then you have 1903.

OK, I will try but can't I just go to Update and Security and click Check for Updates? Because I've heard that it's available to anyone who checks an update.

BTW I did read something among the lines of "Microsoft is forcing you to use Edge" but I don't know.
Limiting what you could use with windows was a strategy that ms used, back in the 1990s; but it is likely that, if ms has not learned their lesson (after so many losses in court), they at least know that they can't get away with using that anti-competitive trick for very long anymore.

This is, very likely, not a factor in your current situation...particularly on 1809.

This could be a software conflict.

What do you have installed, other than just the OS?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Originally when WIn 10 was released, MS wanted people to use Edge so as to compete with Chrome. They have since given up to point soon Edge will be based off Chromium.

It also used to be difficult to convince Win 10 to use anything other than Edge as default browser, but that is also in the past.

At no stage did they do anything to stop you using any other browsers though.

have you tried a clean boot?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Limiting what you could use with windows was a strategy that ms used, back in the 1990s; but it is likely that, if ms has not learned their lesson (after so many losses in court), they at least know that they can't get away with using that anti-competitive trick for very long anymore.

This is, very likely, not a factor in your current situation...particularly on 1809.

This could be a software conflict.

What do you have installed, other than just the OS?

I have too many things installed.

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
Originally when WIn 10 was released, MS wanted people to use Edge so as to compete with Chrome. They have since given up to point soon Edge will be based off Chromium.

It also used to be difficult to convince Win 10 to use anything other than Edge as default browser, but that is also in the past.

At no stage did they do anything to stop you using any other browsers though.

have you tried a clean boot?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

So, I just updated it and nothing changed. Only Edge works still.

I will try the clean boot, but if that will not work I will just do a format.

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018
clean boot at least tell you if its a start up program causing the behaviour

Another option is a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html which would work now you on latest version...

format might be faster but if you have heaps of programs, recovery time is a pain.

So, hey. Guess what I found out. I was following the instructions on how to do the clean boot and it said to have an admin account so I made one since I did not have one and every browser works here even Chrome. I actually typed this in Opera. So what do you think we are dealing with here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
probably a permissions error then. It never occured to me that you weren't using an admin account... one of the fixes I was thinking of suggesting was a new user but you beat me too it.

It seems unlikely you didn't have an admin account as hard to make one without it... the account you made acct on should already be admin? Other possibility is your user was corrupted and simply making new user is solution - much easier than reformat

if you made a new user, I would log onto old one, and copy contents of C:/users/oldusername onto new users folder so it has same access to programs, that way you don't need to reinstall anything. just need to login to things like Steam and Onedrive (if you use them), takes very little time, I have had to do it myself on a previous install when user got messed up.

Last edited:
Solution

datgman7

Prominent
May 10, 2018

if you made a new user, I would log onto old one, and copy contents of C:/users/oldusername onto new users folder so it has same access to programs, that way you don't need to reinstall anything.

Okay, thank you my good man!

And yes, I guess I should have said that I am not as an Admin.

Thank you again! Kudos to you.

TRENDING THREADS