Question Educated guess on the Sapphire 6900 xt Nitro "MSRP"?

Dancso

Honorable
Oct 8, 2015
It's my first time buying Sapphire or AMD so I was wondering what MSRP would look like for this card, since as far as I know, Sapphire did not announce the price.
I know MSRP is practically irrelevant nowadays, but I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait for prices to drop vs how much I'm willing to overpay to get it soon.

(All prices I'll mention are pre-tax)
There's modest stock in my country but at insane prices ($1900 avg, $1650 min) (these are retail stores, not scalpers either), and it was pretty constant around $1450 between mid-jan to mid-feb, though I think it will slowly deflate again.
Using EVGA as a comparison, their 3090 base model starts at 10% over reference model MSRP and the highest-end air cooled one is another 15% above that, for a total of about +27%.

Would it be fair to say the nitro would "normally" cost about $1270? Do you think $1460 is as good as it will get until next year?
I'm committed to this card in particular, and I don't mind overpaying somewhat if it means I can use it before the summer. (my current card is 7 years old, I've waited long enough)

Any of you know what % these nitros cost above reference in previous generations when supply met demand, or how how much sapphire likes to tap their customers in general?

RealBeast

Titan
If you want it this year, I would go with the $1650 retailer. Newegg has it listed at $1419 but it will not be in stock there until the mining demand is filled and that will take a long time with crypto prices as high as they are now. The EBay prices are in the $1900+ range.

The significant supply constraint for the latest GPU chips is not going to end soon and after miners have what they want there is still a very large pool of demand from gamers that cannot spend thousands on a GPU will make shortages last longer than the last crypto spike in GPU prices.

The 6900XT should be a no compromise 4K card at $1K price point.

It still loses in RT to the 3070/3060ti, and sometimes loses even standard rasterization @ 4K to a 3080. It gets blown away if DLSS2.0 is used.

If you insist on the 6900XT, wait till you can get a $1000 reference.

Dancso

Honorable
Oct 8, 2015
Too late, I actually picked one up at $1500-ish last week, I got super lucky because the price has only been going up. Mind you, this was a Sapphire Nitro+ (no official MSRP) but it's a premium variant, so I technically only overpaid like $200-300.
I really needed an upgrade for work so I was able to justify not having to wait up to a year.

I'm cpu bound for now (4790k) so a couple games are a bit handicapped (like kingdom come) but in general i get really good framerates, so it was worth it for me.
I don't care about RT, but I did care about having a surplus of vram. Not that I could've even gotten a 3080 because they go for much more than the 6900xt in my country (and afaik elsewhere it's just completely unavailable)

Have to say though, the driver situation is not as good as AMD claimed it would be. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact I'm still on win7 and i switched brands without uninstalling the nvidia drivers first. The first update has required me to run DDU again and f.lux doesn't want to work for whatever reason, but I expect these things to improve once I'm on win10 with my new rig. Games have had no anomalies, thankfully. I did have to manually set a minimum mhz otherwise it wouldn't clock high enough in time to keep a smooth 60 with frame limits or vsync on, but that's about it.

Dancso

Honorable
Oct 8, 2015
Why on earth are you running W7 still with that modern a card?
I built my system when windows 10 was still new and corrupting people's data. I didn't want the downtime for something that was not an obstacle until fairly recently.
7 is a solid operating system even today, but the industry is moving on, and they are dropping support. Most games I play are DX11 for the time being anyway.
I was not looking forward to the hassle of disabling the performance hogs of w10 - but I'll finally do it when my new cpu comes.