Eight 5.1- And 7.1-Channel Gaming Headsets, Reviewed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious

Well I guess that's one way of looking at it. So vitriolic though! Trying to pump up your self esteem at the expense of others, computerguy? :lol:

Well, I've seen other reviewers with high-end sound cards pan the Psykos too, so I'm thinking your elitist audiophilia assumptions aren't worth the pixels you've typed in the screen.

One of us is unreasonable and I suspect you're the guy, but whatever floats your boat. In any case, I'm pleased you're unable to prevent me from sharing data and reasonable analysis to as many folks as I can reach from one of the most read tech sites on the 'net. :)

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]This is not up for debate because industry agrees that USB audio interconnect is not a high or even mid end standard how do we know this because no proper headsets use this jankey interface connection.[/citation]

Tom's offers a review, based on actual tests designed to isolate particular issues, and you respond with generic references to "industry standards," without any citations to sources, studies, reviews, or anything else to support your claims, and you accuse them of producing shoddy work? Sit down, son.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

The only thing here unreasonable is to even entertain the notion that USB and on board sound offers up an comparable experience to a dedicated PCI sound card with preamp. Serving the McDonald's generation I presume.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

It is well known that USB audio is a low end standard that's not to say this review wasn't done well cause it was just all the cards were not layed on the table because any headphone/speaker is only as good as where it pulls its source signal from and USB and generic motherboard sound does not do these cans and TH justice and that needs to be brought to light.

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
It's about GAMING, not music nor home theater.

But first, I want to talk about surround sound gaming. Specifically, positional audio and the ability of these headsets to convey the source of a sound. Surround sound is a key feature for each of these products. And when you're gaming competitively, it’s important to hear where enemies are coming from.

The question is which of these helps you GAME better. SO yes these are good samples - just wish there could have been a few of the top selling GAMING headphones.

cleeve

Illustrious

Might be! It's probably also unreasonable to assume anyone cares about your elitist regurgitated assumption.

Absolutely. McDonalds has been around 70+ years, I certainly strive to serve reasonable reviews to that demographic. ;)

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]wickedpigeon[/nom]It's about GAMING, not music nor home theater. But first, I want to talk about surround sound gaming. Specifically, positional audio and the ability of these headsets to convey the source of a sound. Surround sound is a key feature for each of these products. And when you're gaming competitively, it’s important to hear where enemies are coming from.The question is which of these helps you GAME better. SO yes these are good samples - just wish there could have been a few of the top selling GAMING headphones.[/citation]
Gaming needs good quality just as well as music and movies why would the lower standards be acceptable to you cause most game developers spend allot of time, money and effort in creating VERY high quality sound, bit rate, and positioning.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Might be! It's probably also unreasonable to assume anyone cares about your elitist regurgitated assumption.Absolutely. McDonalds has been around 70+ years, I certainly strive to serve reasonable reviews to that demographic.[/citation]
Funny cause McDonalds gen is the heart attack, cancer, Prozac, debt, economic fail, cheap, fast, low quality, ADHD generation. Most people are choosing smarter options now in days and TH is great for the most part.

Spectreman75

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

That's what I'm trying to say.

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]Gaming needs good quality just as well as music and movies why would the lower standards be acceptable to you cause most game developers spend allot of time, money and effort in creating VERY high quality sound, bit rate, and positioning.[/citation]

You don't competitively game do you? My oldest son is a very good - not MLG - but a good CoD player. He does a lot of GBs on all types of platforms - PS3, Xbox & PC. Headphones make a big difference. And the settings are usually tweaked to highlight footsteps and gunshots - you would never want these settings for anything else.

So again, it's about Gaming, not high end audio listening - Gaming is a different beast and needs different equipment.

Ask the MLG players what they use...

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

MLG is marketing to sell people more crap they dont need and you mention you son plays game and that he is very very good but what people forget is SON HAVING FUN playing MW but anyway.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]Funny cause McDonalds gen is the heart attack, cancer, Prozac, debt, economic fail, cheap, fast, low quality, ADHD generation. [/citation]

So by McDonald's gen you really mean "Everyone subject to the unpleasant side effects of progress over the past 50 years in a capitalist society"?

I think you may have gone further than you intended with the analogy.

[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]Most people are choosing smarter options now in days and TH is great for the most part.[/citation]

Well that is an unexpected kindness. In the spirit or reciprocation, I also think you are great for the most part.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]Most people are choosing smarter options now in days . . .[/citation]

Odd that you'd suggest that "most people" are choosing smarter options, considering that McDonald's has seen increased profits every year recently, has increased shareholder dividends for 25 consecutive years, and they're opening tons of new stores all over the world every year. Looks like it's business as usual. Now we can add "health trends" to the list of things you don't actually seem to know anything about.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

At leased we can level on the McDonalds gen analogy and I agree with how you put it however.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Well naturally as inflation rises so does McDonalds profit margin LOL

WickedPigeon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]MLG is marketing to sell people more crap they dont need and you mention you son plays game and that he is very very good but what people forget is SON HAVING FUN playing MW but anyway.[/citation]

Now you are not even making sense. I have no idea what you where trying to say.

Sorry your not an MLG fanboy - if you gamed at the level, you might like it better, GOML. But it still doesn't change the fact that Gaming needs it own equipment, design to maximize GAMING. And yes those who do competitively game - be it Cod, BF, Halo or the hundreds of other titles, do care about which works better for GAMING.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]I'll stick to my $100 stereo headphones instead of $20 headphones + $80 spent on fake surround sound and marketing. We've all tried virtual surround sound in PowerDVD or WinDVD and it sucks. Makes everything sound underwater and no where close to having 5 actual speakers set up throughout a room.[/citation]
There is an article which might inform you a great deal about this subject and help you with knowledge on the subject (it's 10" above your comment). In this way, you would be able to make an intelligent, relevant comment.

While it probably isn't fair to compare, for example, my Sennheiser PC 350s with an AuzenTech Bravura 7.1 sound card to any of the samples in this review for outright sound quality, I would definitely be interested to compare the positional sound.

I find that some games appear to have very good positional sound on my stereo headset, to the point that if I spin my character around, up, and down, I can hear the sound orbiting around, above, and below me. The only time it seems difficult to position the sound is if it is directly in front or behind. On the other hand, there are some games that really only seem to come off as pure stereo, which is disappointing.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]wolfram23[/nom]While it probably isn't fair to compare, for example, my Sennheiser PC 350s with an AuzenTech Bravura 7.1 sound card to any of the samples in this review for outright sound quality, I would definitely be interested to compare the positional sound. I find that some games appear to have very good positional sound on my stereo headset, to the point that if I spin my character around, up, and down, I can hear the sound orbiting around, above, and below me. The only time it seems difficult to position the sound is if it is directly in front or behind. On the other hand, there are some games that really only seem to come off as pure stereo, which is disappointing.[/citation]
I am a firm believer that Stereo or 2.1 channel sound done right is better than jankey half assed surround but I am thinking mostly these headsets would perform better in 2.0 mode.

[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]USB audio is considered low end like On board audio and the PCI sound card with pre amp is in the middle and an external dedicated amp/receiver is of course the best. Try and tell someone whom is an audio expert that USB is a good interface and they will laugh you outta town.[/citation]
Hearing Test = PASS

Damn straight! Those who know what they're talking about - know!
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I'm pleased to point out that you're wrong as I tested the other analog headsets against the Psykos for just that reason in order to isolate the sound card as the variable.Turns out your assumption is worthless, no one's fault other than yours I reckon.[/citation]
Hearing Test = FAIL

Then you need a hearing test, you're tone deaf. Otherwise you have an Agenda. Like a blind guy testing cars on a race track.

Computer guy

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Hearing Test = PASSDamn straight! Those who know what they're talking about - know!Hearing Test = FAILThen you need a hearing test, you're tone deaf. Otherwise you have an Agenda. Like a blind guy testing cars on a race track.[/citation]
To cleeve's credit his parameters could have been unwittingly botched in some way or form because however I think he is not after all even an audio enthusiast or phile so he could have easily overlooked an important parameter to achieving the full intended potency of a good quality sound card or he could have been using a crap sound card or even on board or an ipod even we just don't know.

G

it's a shame you didn't test the Astro A40 system. I've found it to be a great 7.1 headset, with gamer's options in mind, even if a bit pricey.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Computer guy[/nom]I am a firm believer that Stereo or 2.1 channel sound done right is better than jankey half assed surround but I am thinking mostly these headsets would perform better in 2.0 mode.[/citation]

Thanks Tom's for the well written (and in my case, excellently timed) article.

Im not going to go into this too far, you are welcome to peruse the tubes.

I will simply list the following:

These are surround headsets intended for gaming/movies, primarily (though, thx to a large driver, most sound great for music)

Most modern games bypass the, once precious, dedicated sound card, as sound processing in games is, in most every case, done on the cpu. (see bc2 and bf3, which still sound incredible)

The surround in these headsets (in largely all usb surround headsets) is accurately portrayed by simulating the delay between the left/right channels (ie bullet fire to your right, right here hears the sound slightly before the left) thus tricking your brain into processing the direction.

And despite what you read on the pear website, the speaker cable stands and volume knob massage oil are not improving the source quality. Also, the fact that you claim to be an audiophile tells me all i need to know.

And as an aside, please someone explain what is so difficult to understand about this; a dedicated sound card has nothing to do with the quality of the usb headsets reviewed here.

blevsta

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks for the review Toms. I've been using surround headphones for about 6 years now, it's good to have a list of potential replacements.

My thoughts on surround with headphones:
For competitive multiplayer gaming, you'll get an edge. You can definitely hear a difference in direction and distance to the target.

For single player experiences it's been hit or miss. A lot of times the source of dialogue is not programmed correctly for surround. It becomes difficult to hear the conversation until you rotate the camera into a better position. In scenes where your camera is locked you're out of luck. I've given up on it for solo play. I just set my headphones to stereo and play that way now.

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Thanks Tom's for the well written (and in my case, excellently timed) article.Im not going to go into this too far, you are welcome to peruse the tubes.I will simply list the following:These are surround headsets intended for gaming/movies, primarily (though, thx to a large driver, most sound great for music)Most modern games bypass the, once precious, dedicated sound card, as sound processing in games is, in most every case, done on the cpu. (see bc2 and bf3, which still sound incredible)The surround in these headsets (in largely all usb surround headsets) is accurately portrayed by simulating the delay between the left/right channels (ie bullet fire to your right, right here hears the sound slightly before the left) thus tricking your brain into processing the direction.And despite what you read on the pear website, the speaker cable stands and volume knob massage oil are not improving the source quality. Also, the fact that you claim to be an audiophile tells me all i need to know.And as an aside, please someone explain what is so difficult to understand about this; a dedicated sound card has nothing to do with the quality of the usb headsets reviewed here.[/citation]
The built in or inline USB sound card is the determining factor of sound quality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.