Question Electrical issues ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
great, so my gaming laptop has zero security here.... not fun putting 1500$cad at risk.....but you know i will

quick question... if i charge a 12v battery via land power... what bad in electricity (static, voltage fluctuations) can actually be transfered to said battery ?? or does the conversion from ac to dc neutralize it somehow ???

PS.. went to a PC store, saw a metal pc case for 1350 php.. told myself that i can get cheaper.. so i did.. 500 php online.. effectively 10$usd... will receive in 7 days or sooner... ill try to connect a photo...
dDuJN94.md.png

kinda ordered it without checking the dimensions :)
wtv, if youve ever watched a Canadian show called "the red green show", you know that with duct tape, i can do anything

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Read this discussion, especially the bit about Dell not recommending a "modified sine wave" mains input to one of their laptop PSUs. It's the laptop brick that might be damaged first. Again, the quote from Dirty Harry springs to mind. It's your choice.

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...er-destroy-damage-the-ac-adapter-for-a-laptop
yep, glanced over it... but it seems that this will only occur if i use the UPS.. and so far we both agree that my UPS is about as good as a 3 month old cheeseburger ... however if i just use an ordinary house (land) power and use a cable that is already making contact with contact with the metal beam in my home that takes care of the grounding issue, what is left exactly ? irregular voltage ??? static ???? if the voltage goes too high, i imagine the GFCI plug that i use will pop

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
cyberpower VP1600ELCD UPS

960 watts.. claims to be pure sine wave

hefty 6300 php..... umm 1600VA on battery it says simulated sine wave

and i dont understand the rest of the jargon