Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I am buying pretty much a whole new system buy I wanted to know if EM64T has any downsides compared to an intel not having it. I am debating between Intel Pentium 4 530 Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor or a Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor. The 630 is actually cheaper with same clock speed, 1 MB more L2 cache and has more features like EM64T and such, which makes me worry why it is cheaper. I am still on a 32-bit OS (XP pro) and I am curious if there is a down side to a 630 over a 530 in 32-bit operations, thanks.

Why Intel? What are you going to be doing with this PC?

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I prefer intel and thats the motherboard I have supports. I don't care for EM64T, its if I buy the 630 its cheaper than the 530 and the 630 also has more cache. My only concern is that if the EM64T will hurt me in 32-bit. It is for gaming btw.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Black_Knight_MC on 08/18/05 06:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Lol, and why do you prefer Intel? You gaming you say.

The best gaming processors are made my AMD and are called Athlon64's - In addition to being better at gaming, they will run cooler and consume less power.

I'm guessing this is a new build? If so you might want to think about returning the motherboard and going the AMD route since your gaming.

Black_Knight_MC

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
I understand people prefer AMD over Intel for gaming, I have had bad experiences with AMD, thats all, only question I have is if there are cons to having EM64T compared to not having it at all.

So what are your bad experiances with AMD then? Or are you just brainwashed from all the Intel adverts and Dell?

endyen

Splendid
Other way around actually. There are clear disadvantages to the 530. It runs hotter than the 630, and is slightly slower.
If you must have Intel, the 630 is a much better choice.
Either way, invest in good cooling, those chips bothe put out a lot of heat. If you are a heavy gamer, water is recommended.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I promise you that the 600 series is a much better chip. It will only improve performance to have the extra cashe. Ive owned 6 of these chips myself.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Not all at one time, and I only paid for 4 the other 2 were for testing.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

jl989z

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2005
6 of them, do you have a tattoo saying sucker on your forehead. LOL.

Compaq S5000nx
yes the one with an asus mobo and non exsistant apg slot. It was free so dont yell at me LOL.

endyen

Splendid
Do I look like a sucker to you?
FYI, Mozz uses Intel chips, because he likes to go for high mem bandwith scores. He is also our expert in cooling.
If you dont know who you are talking at, or what you are talking about, sometimes it's just better to not say anything.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
In defense of the Intel owners here

they're great chips. they run remarkably well and in situations that require raw horsepower they absolutely still outperform AMD. I would rather have a 3.8ghz Hyper thread CPU for intense rendering or conversion stuff.

but as for gaming is concerned. AMD absolutely has the advantage.

Currently I've got a P4 3.2 presscott and an AMD 3700. been testinb both with different software and settings.

the AMD suffers a bit, when one process locks up or sucks up most of the CPU, other processes take a hit and run considerably slower or interrupted. while the HT intel suffers from none of that. you can run a hugely CPU intensive app and lose NO functionality in windows. the Single threaded stuff like games that requires nothing else running though, AMD outshines the intel.

either way you go, you will get a decent processor, each with it's own share of pros and cons.

jl989z

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2005
It was supposed to be a joke. I know he likes Intel and thats fine by me. I seem to be too loose for some of you.

EDIT: There are only 3 people I actually kinda trust here and they are:

#1) Mozzartusm
#2) Wusy
#3) Crashman

Compaq S5000nx
yes the one with an asus mobo and non exsistant apg slot. It was free so dont yell at me LOL.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jl989z on 08/19/05 00:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Out of the 4 that I actually paid for 2 went into systems that I sold so they didnt really see any action the other 2 plus the 2 samples"Not ES chips however" have had a tremendous amount of stress put on them. I know that its only a matter of time before I fry one, but so far so good.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you think my mind is slipping because of that Thread that I posted in the wrong section your going to really get a kick out of what I with NEDS CPU.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Right hot shot, you either start trusting me or I pull a few strings and get you banned

<font color=white><pre>I'm joking!</pre><p></font color=white>

endyen

Splendid
Our concepts of horsepower is not the same.
The reason that Amd chips do so well at gaming is because they are better able to do raw work.
The advantage that the intel chips have, comes from the code writers. Since intel is by far the largest chip maker, most software is designed for it. Not only is this a good thing, but it is the right thing. Without that support, intel chips would not perform well, comparatively.
It's sort of like shooting the ducks in a shooting gallery, compared to real duck hunting. The intel chips do fine, as long as they get those ducks all in a row. Put them out in the swamp though, and the ducks just dont fall for them.
Amd doesn't get to practice in those nice galleries, so they get the job done with pure IPC.
While you think that the intel system is working well, and the amd system is slowing, the reality is that the code is designed to make the intel sytem look good, but at the end of the day, the amd system has done more work.
I dont spend the big bucks to get intel coded progs, so I dont mind saying, for me, the scenario is reversed.
BTW, right now, I have 5 Amd rigs, and only one P4.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
While we're all going completely insane, when the heck did THGC start putting in those god awful stupid f'ing keyword advertisement link thingies? Good grief! I'm gone for a week and suddenly THGC is going to hell? If THGC goes any more the way of THG then I'm going to have to leave! This is total crap.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 195K of 200K!

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
Stop whining.
Tom *needs* a new Porshe.
Is that so difficult to understand?
Wouldn't you like a brand new Porshe?
C'mon man.

----------------------------
Intel CPU
AMD CPU