Question Endless black screen on gaming laptop, sound on and no cursor when playing some specific games and running VLC ?

Saydyrya90

Prominent
May 3, 2022
Hello, i really need help with this problem. I have a laptop with an i7 CPU, a Geforce RTX 2070 Max-Q GPU and a 144Hz monitor.

It came without an operating system so i had to install Windows 10 from scratch. I've been encountering the following problem when playing specific games like Overwatch, Hearthstone, Tropico 4, Dragon age 1 and 2, Bugsnax, Cities:Skylines, Sims 4, Sea of Thieves and for some reason whenever i use VLC player(its instant if i use x2 speed on VLC).

Whenever i try to play them it would work for 30 minutes at most and then my entire screen would go black, the sound would still work for a few minutes, and my cursor wouldn't show up. I'm forced to hard reset my laptop. (The black screen wouldn't go away even after 4 hours).

The strange thing is I haven't had this problem on more demanding games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Red Dead Redemption 2, Ghostwire Tokyo, Cyberpunk 2077.
It only shows up when playing those specific games listed above and using VLC. The other times it works like a charm. I haven't had any other problem with it except this one. I've tried connecting my laptop to another monitor to see if it's a hardware problem, turns out the second monitor did the same thing at the same time as the first one, which leads me to believe its a software thing.

So far I've tried(off the top of my head):
  • Reinstalling windows 10 from scratch (again)
  • Updating every single driver from my pc and updating windows 10
  • Changing the Physx processor used to the RTX 2070
  • Playing the games in fullscreen, windowed mode, changing the resolution, changing the frame rate, changing the graphics settings overall including Vsync.
  • Disabling VT-D via Bios (it was off by default)
  • Enabling G-Sync for fullscreen AND windowed mode
  • Lowering my voltage (It never heated up while playing those games)
  • Uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and then rolling back to a previous version(442.74)
  • Installing all the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website
  • Starting the games with Geforce experience
  • Unplugging my HDMI
  • Running the games in administrator mode, compatibility mode
  • Disabling every single overlay including the Discord and the Steam one
  • Going into event viewer to see what might be causing the problem (i couldn't figure it out, there doesn't seem to show any problem before i hard resetted my pc, looking at the timestamps)
I've seen some other people relating this black screen problem to a faulty Xbox controller, however I don't have an Xbox controller or any controller whatsoever connected to my laptop. I've been searching the internet for months now for a solution to this problem and it seems every forum thread i find is left unanswered. Please help me out, I'm not a tech savy person and I know it seems like a small problem but I'd really like to play some of these games with my friends and use this laptop to the fullest of its capabilities.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It came without an operating system so i had to install Windows 10 from scratch.
What version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? Where did you source your installer for the OS?

You posted this thread in the Laptop section but you forgot to mention the make and model of said laptop.

Saydyrya90

Prominent
May 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It came without an operating system so i had to install Windows 10 from scratch.
What version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? Where did you source your installer for the OS?

You posted this thread in the Laptop section but you forgot to mention the make and model of said laptop.

OS: { Windows 10 Pro | Version 21H2 | Installed on 5/‎2/‎2022 | OS build 19044.1288 }
Laptop Model: HP Omen 15-dc1xxx