[SOLVED] Engineering Sample ATI X800 XT r423 Graphics Card

Apr 15, 2020
I am trying to find out if this card is worth it to keep as a collectible or to be used in my retro gaming PC for early 2000's games. It is a non qualification sample with hand writing around the die surround. I have tested it to make sure it works and everything seems to be working perfectly. It is the PCI express version so it will perform better than the AGP which is why I bought it but now I am not sure if I should save it as a collectors item. If anybody can give me a heads up about this that would be great.

Solution
Technically its stolen property.
Most, if not all, engineering samples are given out under NDAs and other licencing agreements, and are supposed to be returned or destroyed after testing is done.
For example, intel has a portion of their website where you can report ES being sold.

That being said, yeah it sounds cool but as a collectors item its "value" depends directly on what standard you hold it to.
Technically its stolen property.
Most, if not all, engineering samples are given out under NDAs and other licencing agreements, and are supposed to be returned or destroyed after testing is done.
For example, intel has a portion of their website where you can report ES being sold.

That being said, yeah it sounds cool but as a collectors item its "value" depends directly on what standard you hold it to.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I personally would probably be tempted to keep it as a collector's item.

Maybe try it out in a system just to see if it works, to satisfy the curiosity, but whether it works or not, I'd keep it, even if it never really proves to be of any value.

Apr 15, 2020
I have a pretty good collection started already and am in the process of building an XP gaming pc and was thinking of using this card or possibly my x1900 xt. I just haven't come across any engineering samples before. I think I have seen a couple Youtube videos where they got one and were really excited, I wasn;t sure if they were just excited for the video or if it really was something special. Thanks for the replys